Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey signed 4 year extension

ACO

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Some day teams will learn how stupid it is to pay RBs a ton of money.

...Some day.

Plenty of RBs have gotten extended and turned out fine.  For some reason though people just love focusing on the ones who didn’t work out, as if other positions don’t see players regress after extensions.  

McCaffrey is 23 years old with no injury history and it’s a 4 year deal, so it’ll be over when he’s 27.  What were we supposed to do, let him walk? 

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

McCaffrey is 23 years old with no injury history and it’s a 4 year deal, so it’ll be over when he’s 27.  What were we supposed to do, let him walk? 

Where's the urgency to get a deal done at all right now? It's not like the choice was between paying him and losing him. Could have him for about $12-14m total over the next two years and then made a decision at that point on whether you want to extend him, trade him, or even just franchise him for one more year and then trust that whoever picks up the 2nd contract at that point for him isn't going to get his best.

At the very least if I was the Panthers I think I'd have rather waited one more year to see how his body holds up this coming season one year removed from a 400+ touch season. Sure he's young but his workload the past 2 years is going to add up one way or another. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp