Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey signed 4 year extension

ACO

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

At the very least if I was the Panthers I think I'd have rather waited one more year to see how his body holds up this coming season one year removed from a 400+ touch season. Sure he's young but his workload the past 2 years is going to add up one way or another. 

The Panthers will get him help. Rhule isn't an idiot. 

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

Where's the urgency to get a deal done at all right now? It's not like the choice was between paying him and losing him. Could have him for about $12-14 total over the next two years and then made a decision at that point on whether you want to extend him, trade him, or even just franchise him for one more year and then trust that whoever picks up the 2nd contract at that point for him isn't going to get his best.

At the very least if I was the Panthers I think I'd have rather waited one more year to see how his body holds up this coming season one season removed from a 400+ touch season. 

Every year you don’t, you lose the age/wear-and-tear bracket you’ll be having CMC for. You’d rather have him from 23-28 than 24-29, as minor a difference as it may seem. Pretty unlikely he fully collapses in his 4th, age 24 season. 

Lots of teams getting burned by RB contracts recently so we’ll see if it works out but CMC is a guy you take that gamble on. They don’t have many big contracts coming up either so they should be alright in that span.

• Like 2

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

but why make the extension now? You do realize that he has year 4 and 5 remaining on his rookie deal. Just dont get the timing of this right now.

CMC will be 24 by September, so if you wait till the end of his 5th year option you’ll be looking at a 26 year old player with no years left on his deal. That’s a much tougher choice than a 24ish year old player coming off his third season, so I get the reasoning. It comes at a pay increase but you keep CMC through his prime and don’t have to worry about him holding out or anything regarding contract demands. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

CMC will be 24 by September, so if you wait till the end of his 5th year option you’ll be looking at a 26 year old player with no years left on his deal. That’s a much tougher choice than a 24ish year old player coming off his third season, so I get the reasoning. It comes at a pay increase but you keep CMC through his prime and don’t have to worry about him holding out or anything regarding contract demands. 

Did we not see Gurley's debacle? I get it CMC is special but he can easily get that wear and tear the next 2 years to where he wouldnt be seeking 16 mil a year. Your hoping now that he stays healthy and continues to produce 3-4 years from now rather then letting him play the season put the 5th year tag on him and try to extend him then, or you can then turn around and franchise tag him and still get him for the next 3 years. this move doesnt seem like a must do right now. Rb is just a risky position to pay big time and at a time they are completely rebuilding the organization just is weird to me. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Better to get out a year early than a year late. Are we really expecting Year 7 CMC to be the same guy he is now? Even if they do scale back his work from the absurd 2019 volume, it's hard to imagine it gets much lower than 250-300 touches a year. But already you're in a weird situation where you just paid a guy like a franchise guy while needing to manufacture ways to play him less. 

I think playing out his rookie contract and then maybe one year on the franchise tag (~3 years, $25 million total investment) all the while feeling like you can use him as much as you see fit would be better from a team-building perspective than jumping in way early on a big-money contract and giving up 2 years of rookie wage scale in the process. It's a scummy way to treat your franchise guy for sure so I'm happy for him that he got the bag rather than being run into the ground and then gotten little back for it, but there was just no need to make this deal if you're the Panthers. 

People over exaggerate the comparisons with gurley, johnson and bell so hard. Johnson had multiple debilitating injuries. Gurley literally has 90 year old knees. Bell went to the jets, which might as well be a season ending decision. CMC just came off arguably one of the greatest rb seasons ever performed with nearly zero injury history on a team that even before cam got injured ran their offense entirely through him. 

There is a lot of things to scratch your head at this offseason. This isn't it.

Edited by Daimonas
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hopefully for his sake and the Panthers sake he is the exception to the rule and can maintain his multi-weapon usage.

To be fair, he already is the exception to the rule. He's just as much a receiver as he is a RB. I'm sure they could split him out wide for an entire game and he'd just torch whoever is covering him. People need to stop acting like McCaffrey is the norm. He isn't.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Plenty of RBs have gotten extended and turned out fine.  For some reason though people just love focusing on the ones who didn’t work out, as if other positions don’t see players regress after extensions.  

McCaffrey is 23 years old with no injury history and it’s a 4 year deal, so it’ll be over when he’s 27.  What were we supposed to do, let him walk? 

Sure, there are RBs who continue playing well after a 2nd deal.

That has nothing to do with why it's stupid to pay them though. It's stupid to pay them because the ease at which RB production can be replaced(though McCaffery's a bit harder due to his receiving ability). There's been plenty of studies on that over the past few years. Paying a noteworthy % of your cap to an RB just doesn't make sense.