Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey signed 4 year extension

ACO

26 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

but why make the extension now? You do realize that he has year 4 and 5 remaining on his rookie deal. Just dont get the timing of this right now.

CMC has the ability to hold out, that's his leverage and the new owner wants to reward his non-Newton stars with a deal now.
Waiting only gets more expensive,  especially if the TV deals get done next year -  infusing more cash into the cap.
Ideally a team would wait as long as possible and I understand the "don't pay RBs" mantra. But there are other factors here and Tepper didn't make billions in finance by not considering all of this options.

CMC gets more money now, but gives up a bigger deal down the line while shifting some of the injury risk to the club
Tepper pays sooner, but pays less than if he waited because he's owning some injury risk by signing now instead of in 1-2 years

Each side is sharing some of the risks, that's a win-win for both.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Where's the urgency to get a deal done at all right now? It's not like the choice was between paying him and losing him. Could have him for about $12-14m total over the next two years and then made a decision at that point on whether you want to extend him, trade him, or even just franchise him for one more year and then trust that whoever picks up the 2nd contract at that point for him isn't going to get his best.

Because he would have held out, just like any RB does nowadays once they reach their 4th year.  Sure, I guess we could have weathered the storm just to save money (and really, I'll never get why fans are okay with teams doing this - hiding behind a franchise tag to avoid paying a player is one of my least favorite things about the NFL nowadays), but the Panthers are going to have plenty of cap space next year with all the dead money coming off the table such as Newton and Kalil.  So it was either save a little bit of money that ultimately wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things or go ahead and extend McCaffrey rather than waiting to do it 2 years from now.  

Another thing to consider is a lot of fans in the Carolinas are frustrated right now.  We had two consecutive seasons end with long losing streaks, we released our most popular player, among other reasons.  Tepper is trying to get the city to help fund a new stadium.  Alienating more fan favorite players isn't going to help in any event.  And for what, to save $12m over 2 years?  

Say we go with your strategy of riding out his 4th year, using his 5th year option, and tagging him in 2022.  The only difference in that and what we opted with is saving something like $12m and 1 less year.  Is that really enough of a difference to say that is the smart way to handle this and that this was somehow a terrible deal?  Especially considering the salary cap is just going to keep rising (which is another reason why I'm sure this deal was done now instead of waiting).  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Did we not see Gurley's debacle? I get it CMC is special but he can easily get that wear and tear the next 2 years to where he wouldnt be seeking 16 mil a year. Your hoping now that he stays healthy and continues to produce 3-4 years from now rather then letting him play the season put the 5th year tag on him and try to extend him then, or you can then turn around and franchise tag him and still get him for the next 3 years. this move doesnt seem like a must do right now. Rb is just a risky position to pay big time and at a time they are completely rebuilding the organization just is weird to me. 

There are certainly lots of negative examples. There are also a ton of positive ones, we’ll see what/how CMC does.

I’d think the organization would rather have him from 24-28 than 25-29/30, though. Extending him after the contract is up presents that issue.

36 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think playing out his rookie contract and then maybe one year on the franchise tag (~3 years, $25 million total investment) all the while feeling like you can use him as much as you see fit would be better from a team-building perspective than jumping in way early on a big-money contract and giving up 2 years of rookie wage scale in the process. It's a scummy way to treat your franchise guy for sure so I'm happy for him that he got the bag rather than being run into the ground and then gotten little back for it, but there was just no need to make this deal if you're the Panthers. 

I'm not blaming you for thinking that is a good plan and you even admitted to it being scummy, but that is exactly why I'm glad they didn't do that.  It is such a terrible business practice.  It is freakin' ridiculous the NFLPA didn't fight harder to get rid of the franchise tag or at least scale back how the NFL uses it.  It should never be used in substitute of good faith negotiations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

CMC has the ability to hold out, that's his leverage and the new owner wants to reward his non-Newton stars with a deal now.

Actually the new CBA makes it significantly less likely to hold out.   Guaranteed fines, higher fines, the threshold for a potential loss of an accrued season is very minimal.    Players lost a big bargaining chip in the CBA.    Marty Hurney is well known for making these types of big money commitments to players at odd times -- Jake Delhomme is still smiling, as is Shaq Thompson this year.

Having said that this is a good deal for CMC and the Panthers.   CMC isn't just one of the best RB's in the game, he's one of the best receivers..... best playmakers.   He's just entirely unique.   Even if he loses some of his juice in the running game he can impact a game in so many ways and stress a defense.    In 3-4 years his contract could be a bargain - it already is compared to an Amari Cooper.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Better to get out a year early than a year late. Are we really expecting Year 7 CMC to be the same guy he is now? Even if they do scale back his work from the absurd 2019 volume, it's hard to imagine it gets much lower than 250-300 touches a year. But already you're in a weird situation where you just paid a guy like a franchise guy while needing to manufacture ways to play him less. 

I think playing out his rookie contract and then maybe one year on the franchise tag (~3 years, $25 million total investment) all the while feeling like you can use him as much as you see fit would be better from a team-building perspective than jumping in way early on a big-money contract and giving up 2 years of rookie wage scale in the process. It's a scummy way to treat your franchise guy for sure so I'm happy for him that he got the bag rather than being run into the ground and then gotten little back for it, but there was just no need to make this deal if you're the Panthers. 

Possibly, he wouldn’t be the first RB to play well late into his career. But every year you don’t lock him up is another year you’ll be signing him on the back end (if you extend him at all). 

You think possibly the best RB in the league would allow that without holding out or making a stink? I don’t. So if you’re going to have him for 4 years, better to do it for his whole prime than the end of it. 

23 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Sure, there are RBs who continue playing well after a 2nd deal.

That has nothing to do with why it's stupid to pay them though. It's stupid to pay them because the ease at which RB production can be replaced(though McCaffery's a bit harder due to his receiving ability). There's been plenty of studies on that over the past few years. Paying a noteworthy % of your cap to an RB just doesn't make sense.

What is your criteria though?  Is it winning?  If so, then show me the proof that signing a RB to a noteworthy % gives you less of a chance to win than signing a LB or a WR to a noteworthy %.  It shouldn't be hard because there are "so many studies."

That is the issue whenever these RB threads come up.  People always do the studies or whatever on RB success or contracts and how it correlates to winning, but it literally means nothing unless you do it with every single individual player/position.  The fact of the matter is no single position has a huge impact on winning, and acting like paying McCaffrey 16m is somehow gonna stop the Panthers from having success is such a weird opinion to me.  The contract isn't going to stop us from signing players or drafting players.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

On a rookie deal yes. But now that he is getting that kind of money he'll need to maintain if not increase production for it to be worth it for Carolina.

No he doesn't.  He literally just had one of the best RB seasons of all-time.  Why would he need to increase production to make it worth it?  That's ridiculous.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

People who don't want to see a RB paid....is that your money ? 

Rb is the one of the most unfair position in the NFL. In their prime they are not well paid and when it's time to pay them, they are past the prime already...

So i don't care, pay them and reward them as soon as possible. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

On a rookie deal yes. But now that he is getting that kind of money he'll need to maintain if not increase production for it to be worth it for Carolina.

He should be able to maintain. He played great last year with Kyle Allen at QB. I mean, teams knew he'd be getting the ball and they still couldn't stop it. I'm very apprehensive when it comes to paying RBs but considering all the things you can do with McCaffrey it's just a different ballgame. 

would anyone watch a panthers game without him on the team? 

For commercial reasons they need CMAC to be happy. 

I hope they get offensive linemen and another runningback to ease the load, I hope we get to see a long career from CMAC he is a great dude and great to watch. 

They should put him in the slot on 3rd downs and let another runningback block. Can Frank Gore block? they could get him in there, or even Donta Freemen or someone like that. 

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1