Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

8 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Can't believe this Neymar/PSG thing might actually be happening. 

Yeah I thought it was another b.s. silly season rumor but the wheels certainly seem to be moving. Quite baffling from Neymar in my opinion. 

Monday 24th July Rumours

• Liverpool to end their interest in RB Leipzig's Keita after having another huge bid turned down (apparently he has a £48m release clause that comes into effect in 2018)
  • Liverpool are waiting to hear from Southampton re: Virgil Van Dyk, cautious of stepping on any more toes!
  • Chelsea look to be leading the race for Arsenal's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, no word from Liverpool.
  • Swansea are in talks to re-sign Wilfred Bony from Manchester City, can't see a scenario in which City don't end up paying a huge chunk of his salary.
  • Neymar is set to reject PSG and stay with Barcelona, bringing to an end a fairly pointless transfer saga.
  • Wenger is adamant Sanchez is staying.
  • Juventus have tabled a bid of around £30m for Emre Can. Absolutely no idea why.
  • Roma are chasing Riyad Mahrez, but Leicester won't budget on fee.
  • City are desperately trying to offload Nasri to anyone who will take him.
  • West Brom are looking at £10m rated Chris Smalling.
  • Newcastle are looking to sign (former Mansfield midfielder) Sam Clucas from recently relegated Hull.

Absolutely possible that Southampton don't sell VvD, no matter what. They also stood firm with Schneiderlin and Wanyama for a year so I expect them to do the same with VvD. Keita won't move this year, that was very clear from the start. Leipzig don't need money, they need quality players. He'll leave next summer eventually when someone triggers his release clause. Don't think Liverpool will have a chance to get him then though. 

The possibilty of getting neither VvD nor Keita this or next year while the Coutinho sale is looming(we won't be able to keep Cou from the Barca move forever) makes this transfer window really unbearable with all the pessimistic LFC fans again. Can't wait for September :D

Will be interesting though what other targets we have if the top-targets VvD and Keita don't materialize. Really can't watch Lovren another year and we could do with another quality addition in midfield.

Liverpool really need to add depth too. 

I remember watching a couple of games last year and their bench was frighteningly thin. If they even hope to compete on several fronts they need 3 or 4 more signings, 2 of which have to be starters. 

More or less yeah, we certainly need an upgrade at CB and at least a good alternative at CM, who can compete with Lallana and Wijnaldum.

We also should look at an alternative to Henderson and Can, having sold both Stewart and Lucas we're a bit short there considering Henderson's heel problem and Can's lack of consistency. Wijnaldum can play there too but I'm not sure I want him to play there too often(yet).

So:

Mignolet/Karius

TAA/Clyne - Matip/Lovren - X/Klavan - Milner/Robertson

Hendo/Can/Wijnaldum/X

Lallana/X - Wijnaldum/Woodburn/Grujic/Coutinho

Mane/Salah/Origi - Coutinho/Salah/Mane/Woodburn/Firmino

Firmino/Sturridge/Solanke/Origi

That'd be 3 players. Wouldn't want the squad to get much bigger than that, the youngsters should still get their chance.

Edited by AustrianNiner

Lovren and Klavan are fine BUs, not sure other BU CBs in this league are much better. But yes, I'd like to have someone else instead of Lovren but that's not going to happen(at least this summer). I'll actually riot if Klopp benches Matip before Lovren.

I like our striking options, wouldn't have wanted so sign Lacazette or someone else tbh. Firmino is the perfect fit and he scores plus provides assists. He could be more clinical but that's moaning on a high level. Sturridge looked really good so far in pre-season. made more runs than the entire season last year(until the next injury). Solanke also looks brilliant. Origi is the one who should start to perform, otherwise he'll be gone soon. Finishing the chances hasn't been our problem, we're struggling to create anything against teams that are well organized and/or sit deep and counter-attack well. That's why Keita or another CM alternative is so important, we've seen that last season when Cou was out of form and Lallana injured, we had absolutely no idea how to break down defences. Wijnaldum is a great balance player and scores some important goals but he is absolutely useless in that kind of games. Grujic could be an interesting player there, if he stops his terrible challenges and elbowing.

Tuesday 25th July Rumours

• Chicharito signs for West Ham for £16m
  • Swansea reject £40m from Everton for Sigurdsson
  • Chelsea rumoured to be interested in Van Dijk and Sandro, total value around £150m!
  • Apparently Renato Sanches is available from Bayern Munich
  • PSG have apparently offered Verratti and £90m for Barcelona's Neymar.
  • First mention of Moussa Dembele of Celtic, Marseille have reportedly bid £20m for his services
  • Huddersfield are still scraping the barrel, signing free agent Dimitri Cavare
  • Liverpool insist Sakho is not available for loan and Palace must stump up £30m
  • Malaga's Pablo Fornals has paid his own £10.7m release clause to push through a transfer to Villarreal.