Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

44 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

John Cross of the Daily Mirror states Liverpool are in on Ox from Arsenal. Might cost us 35M to get him.

I don't think he's worth that much, but considering we need depth at both CM and on the wing, I'll take it. I'm not a big fan of his, but it's better than nothing.

Ox is a good player, but I'm hoping the club sells him at this point.  He's not a CM.  He doesn't have the awareness, positional discipline, or final ball ability to succeed in that position.  He's an amazing dribbler and athlete, but hasn't really improved much since he arrived from Southampton.  I think he would improve Chelsea or Liverpool's squads---marginally---but I can't see him starting in midfield for any top 6 premier league club.

49 minutes ago, charger-man said:

Ox is a good player, but I'm hoping the club sells him at this point.  He's not a CM.  He doesn't have the awareness, positional discipline, or final ball ability to succeed in that position.  He's an amazing dribbler and athlete, but hasn't really improved much since he arrived from Southampton.  I think he would improve Chelsea or Liverpool's squads---marginally---but I can't see him starting in midfield for any top 6 premier league club.

He hasn't changed much, in terms of developing other skills but he has certainly improved. 

1 hour ago, charger-man said:

Yeah, I'd definitely take 35m+ for him. Like you said, he's not a CM. He can't defend at RWB and he's inconsistent as a winger. He also can't play 5-10 games without injuring his hamstring. Ox played well for half a season after 6 years of average performances and now he wants 180k+ p/w. Not worth it imo.

Arsenal should take that 35 million and laugh all the way to the bank. Ox is a versatile player who isn't actually good in any position  that he plays. He shouldn't be anywhere near any of the top 6 sides first 11. He's servicable as a squad guy, but won't improve your team.

12 minutes ago, kempus said:

Arsenal should take that 35 million and laugh all the way to the bank. Ox is a versatile player who isn't actually good in any position  that he plays. He shouldn't be anywhere near any of the top 6 sides first 11. He's servicable as a squad guy, but won't improve your team.

I'd argue that his versatility makes him a pretty valuable player to most top 4 sides though. Its great to have a player who can slot in at multiple positions and essentially be the 'first man up' when injuries happen. It helps keep a lot of continuity with the rest of the starting 11. Is that worth 35 million? I'm sure that's arguable, but he's 24 and English and its Liverpool and Chelsea who want him so Arsenal are going to make them pay out the ***.

Edited by Imarobot

12 minutes ago, amac said:

Mustafi to Inter. What is Arsenal doing?

No clue on that one. He was pretty good before he got injured last season. Wenger apparently wants VVD and made offers for Manolas and Evans last summer. Maybe Wenger has one of them lined up but I doubt it.

28 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

I'd argue that his versatility makes him a pretty valuable player to most top 4 sides though. Its great to have a player who can slot in at multiple positions and essentially be the 'first man up' when injuries happen. It helps keep a lot of continuity with the rest of the starting 11. Is that worth 35 million? I'm sure that's arguable, but he's 24 and English and its Liverpool and Chelsea who want him so Arsenal are going to make them pay out the ***.

Same, it is why Sergi Roberto is so valuable to Barcelona. I also people are underselling Ox. 

21 minutes ago, marky mark said:

No clue on that one. He was pretty good before he got injured last season. Wenger apparently wants VVD and made offers for Manolas and Evans last summer. Maybe Wenger has one of them lined up but I doubt it.

I suspect Arsene isn't convinced by the 3-4-3 formation and will eventually revert to 4 at the back.  With Koscielny, Mertesacker, Holding, Monreal and Chambers we have enough cover.  I do agree it's strange that we would try to offload Mustafi after spending 35 million pounds on him just a year ago.  

Just now, teamorange said:

Same, it is why Sergi Roberto is so valuable to Barcelona. I also people are underselling Ox. 

If Ox accepted his place as a squad utility player, then he would be a very valuable asset to any top club.  The problem is that he thinks he's a starting central midfielder and is willing to pass up 180/wk to prove himself at that position.  He's just not a top 6 player at CM.

17 minutes ago, charger-man said:

If Ox accepted his place as a squad utility player, then he would be a very valuable asset to any top club.  The problem is that he thinks he's a starting central midfielder and is willing to pass up 180/wk to prove himself at that position.  He's just not a top 6 player at CM.

The funny thing is, weather he goes to Chelsea or Liverpool, he's going to be a squad utility player. Chelsea's got a stacked team and IIRC are looking at 4th choice CM that is home grown (either Ox or Drinkwater from what I recall), and with us, he's cover for guys like Cou(granted he stays), Lallana, Hendo and Can. He'd also be cover for Mane and Salah for us, and I think RWB cover for Chelsea (correct me if I'm wrong?).

I also doubt either club offers him those wages, so unless he wants a change of scenery, I'm not sure he'll get much improvement on playing time or wages from moving from Arsenal. You're correct though, as he is, he shouldn't be starting every week unless he improves by a bunch.

14 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

The funny thing is, weather he goes to Chelsea or Liverpool, he's going to be a squad utility player. Chelsea's got a stacked team and IIRC are looking at 4th choice CM that is home grown (either Ox or Drinkwater from what I recall), and with us, he's cover for guys like Cou(granted he stays), Lallana, Hendo and Can. He'd also be cover for Mane and Salah for us, and I think RWB cover for Chelsea (correct me if I'm wrong?).

I also doubt either club offers him those wages, so unless he wants a change of scenery, I'm not sure he'll get much improvement on playing time or wages from moving from Arsenal. You're correct though, as he is, he shouldn't be starting every week unless he improves by a bunch.

He is better than Lallana and Can. Well I'd rather have him than Can, they play two different roles.

Edited by teamorange