Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

On 1/6/2018 at 11:29 AM, Kip Smithers said:

Talent? Yeah. In fact Barkley has more tools to work with. Matic is limited. Still pretty good player but Barkleys potential is there and is a more useful player for us right now than Matic would be 

Yeah but everybody has been talking about Barkley potential for about 6 years now and he is 24... I mean lets face it he has been a major disappointed. Matic is close to world-class at what he does, Barkley isn't close. He isn't even going to be a starter. Another English player that was overrated like OX.

Mind you he's a brilliant signing £15m given todays market. Would happily see us pay that money for a squad player who could make a difference now and then.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Yeah but everybody has been talking about Barkley potential for about 6 years now and he is 24... I mean lets face it he has been a major disappointed. Matic is close to world-class at what he does, Barkley isn't close. He isn't even going to be a starter. Another English player that was overrated like OX.

Mind you he's a brilliant signing £15m given todays market. Would happily see us pay that money for a squad player who could make a difference now and then.

I think that's something a lot of people are missing with this signing. I can't think of too many squad players in the world that you can bring in for 15m, and that you can also have faith in as a substitute to make a major difference in games. If we're having trouble breaking down a teams defense, Barkley is a great option to bring into the midfield off the bench to try and open things up.

1 hour ago, marky mark said:

Sounds like Sanchez, Walcott, Coquelin, and Debuchy will be sold this window. No surprises there.

Certainly would make for an interesting window for Arsenal. Debuchy won't impact anything but Walcott and Coquelin or decent squad players and Sanchez will be a huge loss. Wonder who they plan to replace them with, if anyone.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, LeeEvans said:

Surprised that Coutinho happened so early in the window and during the winter window at all really. £140m for a cup tied player is quite a lot of money. I think it ends up being a good deal for both sides. 

I really not.  As soon as the amount being stumped for VVD was released - along with the photo of him with the Liverpool shirt before the window had even opened, I texted my buddy and told him it was a sure-thing that Coutinho to Barca was a done deal and happening almost as soon as the window opened.

1 hour ago, marky mark said:

Sounds like Sanchez, Walcott, Coquelin, and Debuchy will be sold this window. No surprises there.

I'll be genuinely surprised if Walcott is sold, if only because we had the chance to sell him in the summer to Southampton and he killed that deal when he wouldn't lower his wage demands to meet their means.  I just don't see a player that concerned with playing time that half a season of extremely limited appearances is going to make him drop his wage demands below the 100k/wk that getting a deal done would almost certainly require.

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I really not.  As soon as the amount being stumped for VVD was released - along with the photo of him with the Liverpool shirt before the window had even opened, I texted my buddy and told him it was a sure-thing that Coutinho to Barca was a done deal and happening almost as soon as the window opened.

I didn't think the two were mutually tied to each other but I can certainly see how that would be the case. Mostly just amazed that a big signing happened so early, seems like those deals also happen in the last couple of days for some reason. Interesting that Coutinho was actually injured, saw he won't make his debut for three more weeks. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I didn't think the two were mutually tied to each other but I can certainly see how that would be the case. Mostly just amazed that a big signing happened so early, seems like those deals also happen in the last couple of days for some reason. Interesting that Coutinho was actually injured, saw he won't make his debut for three more weeks. 

I think they were more closely mutually tied when you consider the wage bill.  Now, granted, they did get Champions League money this season which would have enabled a boost in their commercial revenues (thus giving more wiggle room in the wage bill), but they also brought in Salah at 120k/wk, gave pay-bumps on extensions to Lovren and more important to Coutinho, the later to the tune of 200k/wk.  If they had no other plan to do any further buying in the January window I could have seen it being financially feasible to not sell Coutinho until the summer, but was the VVD addition alone enough to maximize the chance at ensuring a Top 4 finish, particularly with Spurs (without buying anyone) seeing their lineup strengthened by returns from injury, Chelsea having already spent (and potentially spending more), and Jose bleating to every news outlet that will hear him how he feels he needs to be allowed to spend much more in January?

With the money freed up (wages) and the funds gained (even minus the expenditure on VVD), they're likely able to get in two 25-40m players (likely to earn somewhere between 65-80k/wk in wages), whereas with keeping Coutinho they could maybe have had roughly in the neighborhood of 45-50k/wk to dangle in front of one additional player without having to offload (either via loan with full wages being covered by the borrowing club or via selling) a player.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think they were more closely mutually tied when you consider the wage bill.  Now, granted, they did get Champions League money this season which would have enabled a boost in their commercial revenues (thus giving more wiggle room in the wage bill), but they also brought in Salah at 120k/wk, gave pay-bumps on extensions to Lovren and more important to Coutinho, the later to the tune of 200k/wk.  If they had no other plan to do any further buying in the January window I could have seen it being financially feasible to not sell Coutinho until the summer, but was the VVD addition alone enough to maximize the chance at ensuring a Top 4 finish, particularly with Spurs (without buying anyone) seeing their lineup strengthened by returns from injury, Chelsea having already spent (and potentially spending more), and Jose bleating to every news outlet that will hear him how he feels he needs to be allowed to spend much more in January?

With the money freed up (wages) and the funds gained (even minus the expenditure on VVD), they're likely able to get in two 25-40m players (likely to earn somewhere between 65-80k/wk in wages), whereas with keeping Coutinho they could maybe have had roughly in the neighborhood of 45-50k/wk to dangle in front of one additional player without having to offload (either via loan with full wages being covered by the borrowing club or via selling) a player.

Very well thought out post. It's exciting to see how everything will play out for Liverpool and really their season will be defined by how the team responds to the sale of Coutinho. 

Random question and @LeeEvans you were the closet Dortmund fan for the longest time, weren't you?, so maybe you're the best to answer this, but...

Has Klopp ever actually worked with a French player he didn't inherit?  For the most part the type of players (particularly offensively) that France has put out over the past decade fit what Klopp aspires for, but I don't recall him ever seeking out a Frenchman while at Dortmund?

Can't really replace Coutinho, like-for-like. He's a pretty unique player, isn't he. A wide(ish), forward who can also be used in the center, who's creative but also scores long rangers, and can dribble and pass. I mean, Lemar isn't that, I think Goretzka operates more centrally? Certainly won't be Keita, who plays deeper and is more of an engine player. 

14 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Certainly would make for an interesting window for Arsenal. Debuchy won't impact anything but Walcott and Coquelin or decent squad players and Sanchez will be a huge loss. Wonder who they plan to replace them with, if anyone.

Lacazette, Giroud and a fit Welbeck would be your 3 strikers. 

If they were to sign a talented winger to replace Sanchez, like Mahrez I think that would help the problem.