Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Except there's a reasonable chance that Chelsea's ban will be stayed until after the summer window closes while an appeal to CAS happens (as happened with both Real Madrid and Atletico in the past), so Chelsea would likely not be able to buy anyone next year

Even still, I think Dortmund will keep hold of him because his stock is very likely to rise and as I mentioned, they don't need to sell and it doesn't appear as though the player is going to force a move away.

1 minute ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Even still, I think Dortmund will keep hold of him because his stock is very likely to rise and as I mentioned, they don't need to sell and it doesn't appear as though the player is going to force a move away.

I agree they will hold onto him. They sold Pulisic and don't need the cash. I don't agree that his stock will rise much more than where it's currently at though. He was mightily impressive in the 3 Bundesliga games I saw him play in. But, he was completely shut down after the first 20-30 minutes vs Spurs. In the EPL, he may struggle to adapt, to begin with. At 100 million, you are paying for his potential, not what he is now. Hence why I don't think his stock will rise (it may actually go down a bit).

1 minute ago, kempus said:

I agree they will hold onto him. They sold Pulisic and don't need the cash. I don't agree that his stock will rise much more than where it's currently at though. He was mightily impressive in the 3 Bundesliga games I saw him play in. But, he was completely shut down after the first 20-30 minutes vs Spurs. In the EPL, he may struggle to adapt, to begin with. At 100 million, you are paying for his potential, not what he is now. Hence why I don't think his stock will rise (it may actually go down a bit).

Interesting take. I can definitely understand this view, but transfer prices are going nowhere but north. On inflation of these prices alone, I believe Dortmund stand to gain from a financial standpoint by waiting a year. If they were a club that would have to heavily re-invest and thus feel the effects of that inflation themselves, then it might not be. However, we know that isn't how their transfer policy operates; they will just take the extra money and keep rolling.

I mean, the kid is 19 so he is going to go games without contributing (like the Spurs game). But quality players gain more consistency with age and experience so in my opinion there's definitely a chance his quality performances increase and thus so does his price tag.

4 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Interesting take. I can definitely understand this view, but transfer prices are going nowhere but north. On inflation of these prices alone, I believe Dortmund stand to gain from a financial standpoint by waiting a year. If they were a club that would have to heavily re-invest and thus feel the effects of that inflation themselves, then it might not be. However, we know that isn't how their transfer policy operates; they will just take the extra money and keep rolling.

I mean, the kid is 19 so he is going to go games without contributing (like the Spurs game). But quality players gain more consistency with age and experience so in my opinion there's definitely a chance his quality performances increase and thus so does his price tag.

Yeah, I believe that they will keep hold of him too. If they were to receive an offer approaching 100 million, I think they would accept though. Thats an enormous amount of money for a 19 year old with one (very successful) campaign under his belt. I 100% believe that he will improve as a player, but I'm not sure that his perceived value will increase much more from the point it's at now.  This is partly because he plays in the Bundesliga and not the EPL. Conversely, I doubt it dips that much either, unless he gets a bad injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Did we ever talk about how big of a gamble chelsea is taking with Pulisic?

Also, I've read that after the Bundesliga season ends, Luka Jovic to Madrid will be confirmed.

I think I mentioned it when the transfer initially went through. At 60 mill, its a significant gamble. He was used very sparingly this year. Perhaps for footballing reasons and also that Dortmund knew he was leaving. Chelsea will hope his advertising potential in America will mitigate the risk. But, as a footballer, it's a massive gamble. I've never been impressed, in the admittedly limited games I've seen him in.

13 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Did we ever talk about how big of a gamble chelsea is taking with Pulisic?

Also, I've read that after the Bundesliga season ends, Luka Jovic to Madrid will be confirmed.

It was definitely an overpay based on his nationality. But I think he can at least be a good squad player for a one of the super teams, although Chelsea is probably not the best situation given their history of overloading on players they don't need

Edited by amac

10 hours ago, amac said:

It was definitely an overpay based on his nationality. But I think he can at least be a good squad player for a one of the super teams, although Chelsea is probably not the best situation given their history of overloading on players they don't need

Just like how Madrid thinks they can roll out a midfielders lineup and midfielders bench.

On 17.5.2019 at 10:15 AM, kempus said:

Yeah, I believe that they will keep hold of him too. If they were to receive an offer approaching 100 million, I think they would accept though. Thats an enormous amount of money for a 19 year old with one (very successful) campaign under his belt. I 100% believe that he will improve as a player, but I'm not sure that his perceived value will increase much more from the point it's at now.  This is partly because he plays in the Bundesliga and not the EPL. Conversely, I doubt it dips that much either, unless he gets a bad injury.

As a Dortmund fan i can't just let this stand here as it is. There is no way, absolutely no way, we would sell him for 100 million. With the current prices on the market, that would be a laughable offer. Easy to turn down. Sancho and Reus were the difference makers of the team. He just turned 19 and yet scored 12 goals and 17 assists for us in the league. He's an english national player and quickly developed into one of the best Bundesliga players. I don't know which games you have watched from him, but from my perspective i think he's the 2nd best young player (at the age of 20 or lower) in this world, just behind Mbappé. If someone would offer us 150 million we might consider giving him away, but we're not giving him away for 100. If we would talk about a deal this offseason. I think 180 would be needed to get him. Also keep in mind, that Man City have a matching right, which will increase the price anyways, because teams not only have to match our expectations, but also outbid Man City. Maybe people are also underestimating the Bundesliga in that regard. Look at Aubameyang. I dunno how often i heard, that he will have problems to adjust his playing style into the Premier League (even in our fanbase) and yet he kept scoring and scoring. Once the time is up, I'm pretty sure that Sancho will have a smooth transition into the PL. He's making smart buisness decisions, so i think he wants to stay here for another year anyways to secure his spot for the European Championship.

Pulisic on the other hand could have some real problems. His latest games were good again, but he's very inconsistent. Not even a regular starter for us. For 64 million it was an easy choice to let him walk. I don't think he would have stayed anyways, although he should have, because this step could be to big for him. I can see him having problems at the beginning of the season and if it's not working out as expected i could see the fans turning against him. With Hudson-Odoi Chelsea also have another very talented player already on their roster to compete for a starting spot. Unless they want to sell him, i can see Hudson-Odoi beating out Pulisic for that spot. Chelsea really bought into his potential and marketing value than into him as the player he currently is.

Edit: I missed one thing to say. Sancho is the best youngest english player. I think every big team in the PL would be interested in getting him, which should raise the price as well. I don't think Tottenham or Arsenal would be willing to offer the amount of money needed to get him. I'm not so sure about Chelsea either, but i could see United to make a big push as there seem to be some interest from them already. I could see Liverpool trying to get him or raise the price and City obviously should be interested in him as well.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

@Edge That's a fair opinion, but we will have to agree to disagree. 100 million is a killing for a 19 year old who has literally played for one season. Yes, he has the English premium, but there's only two teams who could realistically offer that. City don't need him. He's nowhere near Sterling and the Silvas. He also not as good as Sane or Mahrez, yet. City don't need him.

United would surely pay that, but they are bidding against themselves. Spurs and Arsenal can't pay that much. Chelsea have a transfer ban and Hudson-Odoi/Pulisic. Liverpool also don't need him with the abundance of attackers they have. No other team is paying 100 mill for him, imo.

Honestly, I don't remember anyone saying Aubameyang would struggle in the prem. He's been good, but you would expect that for how much he cost. I'm not saying Sancho will fail, but I don't think it would be the smooth transition you expect. He was bullied for 100 of 120 minutes against Spurs. Thats not a problem in itself, hes 19 after all. However, lets be realistic, the average quality of the Premier League is quite a bit higher than the Bundesliga. Sancho wouldn't start for City, Spurs, Liverpool or Chelsea atm. Arsenal and United have competition too. For 100 million, you're buying a starter. 

This is just a hypothetical opinion. I don't think he will leave and I don't think they will receive a 100 million offer.

EDIT: My phone doesn't have any currency symbols. I'm talking 100 million pounds, so 114 million Euros. 

Edited by kempus

According to the Mirror (believe at your own peril barring a few decent writers), Us and United are in for LW Sessegnon from Fulham (also some nonsense about us gazumping United). Fulham want $40M.

He's got pretty good potential and has shown good things, however 40M for a player with 1 year left on his contract seems a little steep. Still he's the type of player I want Liverpool to target this summer.

@kempusYeah i was talking in euros.

I don't have watched enough games of any of those players to compare their abilities with Sancho. Maybe Sane, but he's a different kind of player, that uses his speed to his advantage. In comparision Sancho is more technical than him. Overall I just know what he did for us in this season and what other players before him did for us in past seasons and i can fairly say that he is among and probably the most impressive young player we had on the team over the last decade. It's not only his scorer points that are impressive, it's his entire game. A lot of teams in the Bundesliga are playing defensively against us, which was often pretty tough for us. To a majority of time Reus and Sancho were the ones who were able to break those defenses and initializing an attack. Withouth their creativity it wouldn't have been possible for us to play that season. Dembele was also quite good, but he didn't had those attributes that make Sancho the difference maker he is. Dembele cost Barca 125 million euro overall. It's a crazy price obviously, but unfortunately that's how the market has developed. That's why i think 150 million euro might be the acceptance limit for Dortmund. Maybe i'm a bit too much of a homer here, but i can't see us getting anything lower than that.

Again i don't know how Sterling, Silva, Sane, Mahrez or any other of the starting players of the top 6 PL clubs compares to Sancho. I also i can just guess, but i can't say for sure if the PL plays more of an offensive playing style than the Bundesliga helping the performances of the named players and it would be a stretch to think of how the overall quality of City/Liverpool f.ex. affects and helps these players in comparision to Sanchos gameplay in Dortmund, were he and Reus are the most important players for the offense. Take one out and it's going to be tough. Take both out and we're going to have a problem to remain the level of gameplay. I think it's tough to compare these players. Put one of them into the others situation and you can see a comparison. For now i can just compare Sanchos performance to other players we had in recent years and sold later (like Dembele) to get a feeling for a potential price tag. Since my conclusion would be that Sancho is a bit better than Dembele was, i would think that it needs more than 125 million euro to get him.

• Like 2

@Edge I think the Dembele situation was a one off because Barcelona had to make a splash. Everyone knew that Barcelona had cash burning a hole in their pocket after Neymar left. In no other situation were Dembele or Coutinho worth that much, imo.

The Bundesliga is probably the most comparable, in terms of playing style, than any of the other big leagues to the EPL. Given the massive television revenues, it's no surprise that the overall quality is higher in the Premier League. 

Either way, I don't think either price valuation is far off.