Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

Joao Felix transfer finally announced by Atletico

He's been given Griezmann's #7 jersey - the second time this off-season we've given away a number of a player who was still technically on the roster :D

126 million Euros.... utter madness. Unless he literally turns into Ronaldo, thats a horrible deal, imo.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:23 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Could be twitter nonsense, but I am sure I read their budget for the Summer is only £60m. If that is true, it's an absolute disgrace. They're a huge club with the most expensive season ticket in world football - £60m is the budget of a mid table premier league team, not a club of the size of Arsenal.

I laugh at AFTV at times, but it's so sad to see an Owner like Kroenke bleed the club dry.

Kroenke deserves his lumps for his naivete, but after the tweet thread earlier this week from Swiss Ramble who is about the most dependable account on Twitter for breaking down Arsenal financial stuffs, Gadzidis being given as much power as he was for what little he actually managed to do was the bigger problem.  I'm not going to rush to say it's fixed now that he's gone, but it would be hard for it to have gotten worse.  And there's a part of me that can't fault someone for not wanting to invest into a clearly broken model (not saying Kroenke would even if the model weren't broken, but still...) that demonstrated it leaks money like a sieve.

Wenger gets blame too because he was too attached to his players and was never cutthroat enough to look at a player 2 years removed from his contract expiring and say, "You're just not developing the way we'd hoped, so we're going to sell you while your value is still reasonable."  And instead, the combo of him and Gadzidis would ride the contracts down to either term or till there was only a year or less remaining and so much leverage in regards to asking price was forfeited so that they could get "something").

But for all his supposed genius and accomplishment in the area, Gadzidis truly sucked in terms of bringing in corporate partnerships and once the monies that were coming from commercial sales of the properties where Highbury had been, coupled with not getting CL money, and then compounded by raising of funds via sale of players stagnated, it was a perfect storm that, if I wasn't confident in the man's ineptitude, I'd halfway believe Gadzidis would have had to legitimate try to pull off in order to accomplish.

Best of luck, Inter.  You're going to need it.  The guy hasn't learned from his mistakes of the past.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kempus said:

126 million Euros.... utter madness. Unless he literally turns into Ronaldo, thats a horrible deal, imo.

Thought for sure they'd go after Oyerzabal to replace Griezmann. Haven't seen enough of this kid to make a judgment but wow, the "next Ronaldo" hype REALLY drove up his price

4 hours ago, Madridista said:

Thought for sure they'd go after Oyerzabal to replace Griezmann. Haven't seen enough of this kid to make a judgment but wow, the "next Ronaldo" hype REALLY drove up his price

They've been saying the same thing about Goncalo Guedes too.

Every young semi talented prospect out of Portugal is compared to Ronny and it's not fair to them to be honest.

And @lomaxgrUK you should still laugh at the AFTV folks.  I've met Robby and he's an alright enough bloke, but I've told him as much to his face that he bears responsibility for enabling these blowhards who care more about the reputations and notoriety they've gained for themselves than they actually do the club.  Like the grown-up Dudley Dursley-looking moron (Heavy D) who I guess used to be on House Hunters UK(?), who led a Kroenke Out protest on kit release day... while wearing a freshly-purchased new home shirt.  You can't write this stuff.  We have such a banter fanbase, it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11756926/marko-arnautovic-has-burnt-bridges-at-west-ham-and-everyone-wants-him-out

Arnautovich hands in a transfer request to demand a transfer to Shanghai SIPG.... What a lunatic 😂 The Chinese Super league has been a recent grave for quite a few players. Hulk, Paulinho, Teixeira, Oscar, Carrasco, Jackson Martinez, Lavezzi, Hamsik, Bakambu, Gaitan, Pelle, Modeste, Witsel, Gervinho, to name a few haha.

Edited by kempus

23 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Atleti losing a player for £60m, then signing a player for £120m - it used to be the other way around!

Except Joao Felix is the replacement for Griezmann.  Marcos Llorente is the replacement for Rodri, and he cost at least 30m Euros less than we got from Man City

10 hours ago, The LBC said:

We have such a banter fanbase, it's ridiculous.

Comes with the the territory of being a fan of a big club. United and Liverpool are no better, in that they have these youtube/twitter celebrities that are idolised by (predominantly) international fans that really don't understand football fan culture. I know that sounds elitist, but I stand by it. I mean, Mark Goldbridge actually gets paid (by youtube) to upload videos of him playing FIFA; that is where we're at with football fans right now.

6 hours ago, kempus said:

The Chinese Super league has been a recent grave for quite a few players. Hulk, Paulinho, Teixeira, Oscar, Carrasco, Jackson Martinez, Lavezzi, Hamsik, Bakambu, Gaitan, Pelle, Modeste, Witsel, Gervinho, to name a few haha.

Where do I signup for me and my bank account to be part of that graveyard? xD But seriously - Arnautovic is never going to be a player that contributes significantly to a team that wins anything. I don't blame him for going, assuming they are still paying astronomical wages in China.

6 hours ago, kempus said:

Herrera to PSG on a free. Will he be missed @lomaxgrUK @UKTexans

It depends on how you want to look at it. Assuming we won't replace him, then yes, our other options are definitely inferior to Herrera. 

But the fact is, he isn't good enough for a club with aspirations that United have and he definitely isn't worth the money it would've taken to keep him (£220k a week, I hear).

@lomaxgrUK yeah, I assume the wages are still enormous. Its only the transfer fees that have contracted. This is because clubs have to pay a 100% tax on any forgeign transfers. So, if Arnautovich is bought for 25 million Euros, the club will actually end up paying 50 million Euros for him.

Here's an interesting spin on what Guangzhou Evergrande are currently doing (Most successful team and my local one). 

https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/28578/guangzhou-evergrande-to-resign-elkeson-from-shanghai-sipg?from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

Naturalized international talent was always bound to happen here. Evergrande just seem to be jumping on it before anyone else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Makes sense. How much is Griezmann leaving for?

Release clause as of July 1 is €120m.  €20m of that might be going to Real Soceidad, but the reporting on whether a sell-on fee actually exists or not has been inconsistent.

There's also a €18m+ differences in wages between Griezmann and Joao Felix