Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

8 hours ago, drd23 said:

Fair get for Arsenal, especially considering some reports said that Lille had accepted offers from 4 clubs

Sounding like the agent fee was a hang-up for several suitors (including Napoli).  Chalk this up as a signing that never would have gone through it Wenger were still here, because he utterly abhorred skooching agents an extra couple million to get the deal over the line.

This Pepe signing is one of the most stunning moves i've seen from Arsenal in a while, just really did not see this coming. Assuming Ornstein is right and we're not selling Auba or Laca to finance the deal, that front 3 of Auba/Laca/Pepe is going to be filthy. Still it's hard to see this window as a full success when our only CB signing isn't joining for another year and as it looks right now we're going to need that front 3 to gel because we're gonna have to win every game 4-3.

On the one hand I think it's encouraging to see us have a real player profile we're trying to fill out this summer and not just throwing money at middle tier deadwood, but it's still a lot of pressure to put on both Chambers, who has never really excelled at CB, and Holding coming off an injury if we don't bring anyone else in. A loan deal for someone like Rugani would be ideal if we can make that work. 

15 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Does anyone watch Portuguese football? If so, is Bruno Fernandes any good?

He hasn't even signed for United and I am sick of his name, it's been touted that often the past couple of months.

Never seen him play, but he has a hell of a lot of hype. I'm pretty shocked that Arsenal are splashing 72 mill on Pepe. Surely, attack is the last position they need to strengthen. Makes no sense to me. Unless they are selling Aubameyang.

22 hours ago, kempus said:

Never seen him play, but he has a hell of a lot of hype. I'm pretty shocked that Arsenal are splashing 72 mill on Pepe. Surely, attack is the last position they need to strengthen. Makes no sense to me. Unless they are selling Aubameyang.

Not selling to fund, according to Ornstein.  By all looks, both Auba and Lacazette are part of the #YoPierre style media campaign/announcement for Pepe.  Sounds like it's 20-some million up front and then gradually-reducing installments over the next 4 years (basically, the model that Barca bent us over with on the original Fabregas to Barca deal).

And, yes, we've needed a natural wide player willing to drive/dribble with the ball at his feet, particularly of the type that Pepe is (left-foot dominant but plays through the right) for a good long while (a legitimate case could be made since Llungberg was in the side) - the closest to it we really had was Joel Campbell.

I follow the Portuguese national team and Fernandes is by far the best midfielder from that country and in the Nations League.

I wish Real would starting selling people like James or at least playing him. Modric is done. He's shot and no good anymore. Carvajal and Marcelo are defensive liabilities. Casemiro is never healthy. 

Get rid of Bale for a bag of chips, let Modric go to Inter, ditch Isco for some cash, and get a decent CM. Christ.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Pretty happy with Villas transfer season. Jota and wesley look like good players in the preseason (wesley could be a stud), resigned two of the 4 biggest players from last season (Mings and El Ghazi) reinforced weak area (LB and CB), made a decently splashy signing in Douglas Luiz (Pep really like him and he was the captain for one of the Brazil youth teams) and then got some nice backups for cheapish fees (Trézéguet and whomever ends up at back up CB). Now we just signed a pretty strong keeper in Heaton. 

Obviously not all of these will workout and it is a bit nerve wracking having so many transfers in one season but its promising. Also 3 out the 11 transfers were on the team last year and 7 out of the 11 were signed very early in the transfer window and had pretty much a full off season with the team. 

Before I thought there was a pretty high chance in going down but I'm optimistic for once, especially with the Heaton signing. I see Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton, and Sheffield much worse than Villa. So I would say a 12th to 15th finish as likely. 

Edited by teamorange

12 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Would love this... been a huge fan of Dybala and Lukaku doesn't have a place in this team anymore. 

Do you not think it just wreaks of the Di Maria buy, though?

Player not overly keen on the move but realises he's on his way out. Said players gets paid a fortune, hates living in (rainy) Manchester and his performances on the pitch reflect it.