Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

40 minutes ago, persiandud said:

Actually, Chelsea are set to sign Chilwell for around 45-50M pounds, which is nowhere near that ridiculous 80M figure they were asking for initially. Glad to see Leicester have finally come to their senses. 

It looks like they're targeting Tagliafico from Ajax as the left back replacement, and the fee is rumored to be around 30-35M. So for Chelsea, getting Chilwell for roughly 10M more than Tagliafico is, I reckon, an absolute win! I'm fine with 10M more for a younger, English LB 

And it looks like Thiago Silva is set to join Chelsea on a free transfer. He will make his decision after the CL final. What an excellent stopgap option he would be! This would allow Chelsea to spend big next summer on a world class young CB 

Come on bro. Either of two things are happening here. Either that £80mil asking price was just false all along and Leicester were never asking for that. Therefore this reported £50m is actually true. Or that the reported fee is more than the £50M and we are paying additional fees, meaning that it’s more probably closer £70m. Because why on earth would Leicester be stupid to set an initial asking price of £80m then have that being negotiated down all the way to £50m (a £30m reduction). That’s absurd. That’s incompetence. 

Chilwell for me ain’t good enough. He’s not all that better than we already have. Leicester fans will tell you that he isn’t that good and was a part of their collapse in the second half of the year. Against the better quality players he’s gonna struggle. Let’s be honest here, he’s being bought because of good form in first part of season and he’s English. Nothing else. Tagliafico is clearly a better option. Reguilon too.  I really don’t get why Chilwell being English makes him more desirable.

Edited by Kip Smithers

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Come on bro. Either of two things are happening here. Either that £80mil asking price was just false all along and Leicester were never asking for that. Therefore this reported £50m is actually true. Or that the reported fee is more than the £50M and we are paying additional fees, meaning that it’s more probably closer £70m. Because why on earth would Leicester be stupid to set an initial asking price of £80m then have that being negotiated down all the way to £50m (a £30m reduction). That’s absurd. That’s incompetence. 

Chilwell for me ain’t good enough. He’s not all that better than we already have. Leicester fans will tell you that he isn’t that good and was a part of their collapse in the second half of the year. Against the better quality players he’s gonna struggle. Let’s be honest here, he’s being bought because of good form in first part of season and he’s English. Nothing else. Tagliafico is clearly a better option. Reguilon too.  I really don’t get why Chilwell being English makes him more desirable.

Reguillon is far better. 

I am English but I'm sick of how our players are overrated and overvalued. Then we're surprised why we always get dumped out of tournaments. 🤮

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Shh don’t tell Lampard. I do think Chilwell is good but I don’t think he’s worth anywhere near 80 mil. Same with Maguire, but I don’t think United will complain too much even if they know they didn’t get the best value.

Honestly I wouldn’t pay more than 35mil for him let alone 80mil. Leicester keep fleecing the top 6 by getting these good returns on their players and ironically the best player they’ve ever had, Kante, they got a bad return for him. All the others like Maguire, Drinkwater, Mahrez and now Chilwell they’ve gotten great returns. 

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is this Messi stuff for real? That can't be real right? The Barca board might legitimately get murdered.

Yes and no. I think his threats and desire to leave is legitimate, but only because Barca's president is still around and the source of a lot of what's wrong with Barca currently. I still think this is Messi trying to for the board tor re-sign and get fresh faces in management. We will see if he leaves or the Barca board piss off first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Man City are probably the favorites, right? how much are they going to have to pay for him, though?

MLS gonna be: Well give you teams in New Orleans, Indy and San Diego for 15 million.

Though him showing some interest in the Old Boys is awesome. Hes worth like a billion. Seeing him go home to finish up would be the perfect topper to his career.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, Kip Smithers said:

well buddy, that's exactly what's happened. Brendan Rodgers posturing about wanting a Maguire level outlay around 80M didn't amount to much after losing their CL spot and having to deal with Covid

very reliable sources are saying Chelsea are paying around 50M pounds, and the player has already been undergoing medical checks with Chelsea 

https://theathletic.com/2014012/2020/08/21/chelsea-close-to-50m-deal-for-leicester-left-back-chilwell/

On 8/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, Kip Smithers said:

On 8/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Reguillon is far better. 

I am English but I'm sick of how our players are overrated and overvalued. Then we're surprised why we always get dumped out of tournaments. 🤮

i don't understand the hate for Ben Chilwell. he's 23 years old, he's England's first choice left back, and even though he's been in bad form lately, you can probably explain that a little bit with the premise that he's had his head turned towards Chelsea for some time now. sorry Reguillon, you're 5'10 unlikely to win aerial duels. Chilwell can provide cover on offense/defence for set pieces, Chelsea have been horrendous at set pieces. Chilwell is better defensively, a proven player already in the top flight, and possibly ascending with better teammates. he has good technique, he's a good crosser, he can pick a pass anywhere on the park, and he has a good motor to shuttle up and down the pitch. idk what's not to like! and for 50M pounds, he's a great buy imo! this is also Frank Lampard's first buy he has personally made, so he rates him. Ashley Cole rates him. great signing mate 

https://theathletic.com/1849781/2020/06/03/cox-chilwell-ben-chelsea-leicester-transfer-analysis/

@Kip Smithers yo man, are you really a Chelsea fan? aren't you hyped about this transfer window?! this is absolutely bonkers brother, unreal! this is one of the best windows i've ever seen us have, or any team for that matter. Thiago Silva on a free transfer, what a stopgap. 36 and still an elite player. Molang Sarr on a free, maybe we loan him out, maybe we use him! the 18 year old Dutch CB from Barcelona, Xavier Mbuyamba. Hakim Ziyech!! Timo Werner!!! Kai Havertz!!!! WOW MAN 

consider that this team was second in xG https://understat.com/league/EPL 

Lampard's attacking works, now he needed clinical quality players. our most creative midfielder was Ross Barkley last season. we have many midfield pieces that can capably in some parts track back, press, help in the build up, but no one with the killer pass or creativity to unlock defences or finish off chances. Mount and Pulisic have a decent eye for goal, and Tammy Abraham was really hot to start the season, but we needed more clinical play and quality

so we know that's what Chelsea needed, and their solution was TIMO WERNER, HAKIM ZIYECH AND KAI HAVERTZ, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Ziyech and Havertz provide so much technique, skill, and creative quality. Werner is one of the most rapid and lethal strikers in world football. that's world class attacking output. get ready to see a lot of goals baby!

Roman Abramovich has reaffirmed his commitment to Chelsea, he's taking advantage of every other club being affected by the pandemic, and he would not have backed Frank Lampard like this if Lampard hadn't met the primary objective; finish in the top 4 with a transfer ban, no Hazard, and some kids you brought from the Championship. Lampard did that, and Abramovich has rewarded him with a war chest and most importantly...patience to pull off this project. Roman is making Frank his long term manager, and he's going to give him a long leash. And now the pressure is on to compete at the highest level for trophies and the PL title! for Champions league glory!! we have an army coming through! we're Chelsea and we're coming Liverpool and...oh, Messi might join Manchester City. %&#$

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't see Messi actually moving (although Inter would be my first guess if he does), this is just an attempt to overthrow Bartomeu etc.

neither can I. these are barca power politics. I think Messi is trying to clear the board room with the oldheads he doesn't like and replace them with guys he likes, for instance Xavi as the manager. I feel bad for Koeman, he likely thought this was a dream job and he might face the axe because Bartomeu appointed him before he himself is getting sacked out of the club 

it's hard to parse out what's true and what's not, because there are a lot of reputable people weighing in on this, but from what I've been able to gather so far, Messi is putting pressure on the club by giving them a transfer request and openly weighing in on the upcoming Barcelona elections. Messi's people are also fighting on a specific clause in his contract that allows Messi to leave the club if he wants to, and the club is saying he can't activate that clause just yet. This clause is very important because it voids his release clause which is 700M euros, and no club is paying that on top of the 100M wages each year. If Messi leaves, it's when this clause is activated and he leaves on a free this year, or he stays another year until his contract runs out and he leaves on a free.  

It's a total mess, and it feels like only a matter of time. it seems to me that the board room is devouring each other and if enough of the right people stick around, Messi might stick around. if he starts to see that isn't the case, he'll leave. The breaking point will happen either this year or next year, and if things break he'll go to Manchester City for a new challenge. Lots of former Barcelona people in that building, and he rejoins elite coach Pep Guardiola 

2 hours ago, persiandud said:

well buddy, that's exactly what's happened. Brendan Rodgers posturing about wanting a Maguire level outlay around 80M didn't amount to much after losing their CL spot and having to deal with Covid

very reliable sources are saying Chelsea are paying around 50M pounds, and the player has already been undergoing medical checks with Chelsea 

https://theathletic.com/2014012/2020/08/21/chelsea-close-to-50m-deal-for-leicester-left-back-chilwell/

i don't understand the hate for Ben Chilwell. he's 23 years old, he's England's first choice left back, and even though he's been in bad form lately, you can probably explain that a little bit with the premise that he's had his head turned towards Chelsea for some time now. sorry Reguillon, you're 5'10 unlikely to win aerial duels. Chilwell can provide cover on offense/defence for set pieces, Chelsea have been horrendous at set pieces. Chilwell is better defensively, a proven player already in the top flight, and possibly ascending with better teammates. he has good technique, he's a good crosser, he can pick a pass anywhere on the park, and he has a good motor to shuttle up and down the pitch. idk what's not to like! and for 50M pounds, he's a great buy imo! this is also Frank Lampard's first buy he has personally made, so he rates him. Ashley Cole rates him. great signing mate 

I don't hate Chilwell, just don't think he's all that good, certainly not worth 50M.  I noticed he's not in the England squad, is that through injury? We don't appear to have picked a single LB yet.

Chilwell is also 5'10" by the way. And as a left back, I'm not that concerned about aerial duals, it's not really their thing. Look at some of the best LB/RBs in recent history, Cole, Lahm and Alves were short, for example. But yeah, they're the same height

I think 50 mil is decent business for Chilwell considering what other English players go for. Is he worth it? No, probably not, but he’s a good player (not great).

I hope we go all in on Reguilón and have Tagliafico as a backup option. If we get either of those guys I won’t expect a drop off. I like Reguilon more.

also we need a RW, cover for Vardy, and a CB.

Realistic signings

RW: Trincao or Sarr

Backup striker: Watkins

CB: I’m not sure but we’ve been linked with White and Vestergaard

Edited by Oregon Ducks

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't hate Chilwell, just don't think he's all that good, certainly not worth 50M.  I noticed he's not in the England squad, is that through injury? We don't appear to have picked a single LB yet.

Chilwell is also 5'10" by the way. And as a left back, I'm not that concerned about aerial duals, it's not really their thing. Look at some of the best LB/RBs in recent history, Cole, Lahm and Alves were short, for example. But yeah, they're the same height

i'm not sure why i mentioned Reguillon's height, perhaps i thought Chilwell was 6 ft. that's my bad. my main point there was that he's better with aerial duels, and in the Premier League I absolutely think that's important. Especially for a Chelsea team that finished dead last in defending set pieces

I think he currently has a heel issue, maybe that's what's keeping him out of the England squad. he might miss the start of the season for Chelsea but it shouldn't be serious