Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

6 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I mean, what does Chelsea have to be proud of lately? I see a lot of hype but not really addressing the problem areas. An over the hill Thiago Silva is not it and Kepa is still your keeper.

People who say Thiago Silva is over the hill, haven’t been watching him play. And are just looking at his age. 

Chelsea hope to persuade Rennes to sell Édouard Mendy, despite having their first offer of €16m (£14.2m) for the goalkeeper rejected. Chelsea have tracked Mendy for a while. Their first offer for the Senegalese goalkeeper has been turned down and they are expected to return with a €20m bid.

18 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I wonder why they aren't going after Onana. Ajax and a few of their players (VdB, Tagliafico, Onana aaaand maybe Neres) have gentlemen's agreements so they can leave for a certain fee. Onana is proven in the CL and has loads of experience.

Onana was their no.1 target at one point. I guess not being able to dump Kepa had a lot to do with it. They have to recoup something for him and then he has a 17+mil a year contract. Mendy they can sign for far less and be competition for Kepa. Theyre 76 million in the red right now before addressing this position.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, Kip Smithers said:

He’s a fullback I place very little emphasis on aerial duels. We’ve had Alonso who helps in that regard and look what happened with him. I’m not even sure Chilwell is better defensively. He’s not the quickest, he does struggle against defenders with pace and quick feet. And he’s decent going forward. Not the greatest. Let’s be real if he wasn’t English, he wouldn’t be a Chelsea player. Reguilon is half the price, he’s quick, great recovery speed. Better dribbler and and better end product. I just don’t think he’s that good. Better competition will make him look out of his depth.

And yes I am excited by our window. It’s up to the players to live up to expectations. No more of struggling to break teams down. Just hoping Lampard team selections improve. 

This part I'm definitely on board with.  And it's probably one of my bigger criticisms of Lampard (assuming he's got even an reasonable manager's level of say-so in terms of transfers and targets) - I feel like he gets more than a little too wrapped up in overvaluing England nationals.  I get why owners or BoD members love nationals because they bolster both the gates and, presumably, the television exposure (which at the very least bolsters merchandise sales, domestic corporate partnerships, etc.).  Lampard certainly wouldn't be the first Englishborn manager to fall victim to this, but it seems like a recurring issue among them.  Even using Lampard's clear love for Anson Mount - if Mount weren't English, I genuinely wonder if he weren't in a polar-opposite situation (from being one of the first names on Frank's regular team sheet to someone - if judged fairly on level of play - who might well be being shipped out in some fashion.

22 minutes ago, The LBC said:

This part I'm definitely on board with.  And it's probably one of my bigger criticisms of Lampard (assuming he's got even an reasonable manager's level of say-so in terms of transfers and targets) - I feel like he gets more than a little too wrapped up in overvaluing England nationals.  I get why owners or BoD members love nationals because they bolster both the gates and, presumably, the television exposure (which at the very least bolsters merchandise sales, domestic corporate partnerships, etc.).  Lampard certainly wouldn't be the first Englishborn manager to fall victim to this, but it seems like a recurring issue among them.  Even using Lampard's clear love for Anson Mount - if Mount weren't English, I genuinely wonder if he weren't in a polar-opposite situation (from being one of the first names on Frank's regular team sheet to someone - if judged fairly on level of play - who might well be being shipped out in some fashion.

Definitely and I think Mason Mount is the biggest example of it. Maybe because he’s a midfielder and Mount looked up to him as a kid. There was a brief point in the season last season that Lampard was playing Hudson Odoi over Pulisic even with the former coming back from a serious injury. Even with out transfer ban, there is no way Mason Mount should’ve played the amount of games he played. No way. I honestly am very sceptical that Lampard will get the best out of this team for quite a few reasons. 

Chelsea have agreed a deal with Bayer Leverkusen to sign Kai Havertz for an initial club record fee of £72m that will take their summer spending on transfers past £200m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/31/chelsea-agree-initial-72m-fee-for-kai-havertz-with-bayer-leverkusen

Chelsea still needs a GK.  There ever been spending like this before in a trade period?

12 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/31/chelsea-agree-initial-72m-fee-for-kai-havertz-with-bayer-leverkusen

Chelsea still needs a GK.  There ever been spending like this before in a trade period?

Probably not since City when Pep first arrived. And maybe United last summer. But Chelsea are in a unique scenario in that we had money from the sales of Hazard and Morata (and I might be missing somebody else) which he didn’t reinvest plus what would’ve been our budget for last summer and this summer. As for a GK, I don’t think we want to buy another keeper with Kepa still there. We need to have buyers for Kepa first and I don’t think this window is convenient for that given the circumstances. We just have to ride it out with him til at least next summer unfortunately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Probably not since City when Pep first arrived. And maybe United last summer. But Chelsea are in a unique scenario in that we had money from the sales of Hazard and Morata (and I might be missing somebody else) which he didn’t reinvest plus what would’ve been our budget for last summer and this summer. As for a GK, I don’t think we want to buy another keeper with Kepa still there. We need to have buyers for Kepa first and I don’t think this window is convenient for that given the circumstances. We just have to ride it out with him til at least next summer unfortunately. 

See that Milan is showing interest in Kante.

Antonio Conte has requested N’Golo Kante from Chelsea, as Inter hope to do a loan deal with obligation to buy for €50m.

I thought Kante was too important a piece for Chelsea. Highest market value on the team. But with this figured they were trying to offset some of the spending to go after a GK by listening to what Milan had to say. Which would help since moving Kepa is impossible.

Has Kantes play fallen? Dont get gathering all these pieces while letting him slip away otherwise.

Kante has gotten older and even though he’s not the world beater he was a few years ago he is still great.

I don’t hate the players Chelsea has brought in, I just don’t think they’ve spent it in the areas they should have. Next summer they’re gonna have to spend huge (probably more than this year) again to get a starting keeper, staring CBs, and a starting DM.