Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

10 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

United went from Sancho to Dembele to Cavani?! Bloody hell.

Also I'm not sure Arsenal's midfield did anything but get worse through the summer.

Cavani is literally signing somebody for the sake of it. United’s transfer strategy is shameful. Liverpool, City and Chelsea just know how to get deals done. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Cavani is literally signing somebody for the sake of it. United’s transfer strategy is shameful. Liverpool, City and Chelsea just know how to get deals done. 

Their entire problem is that the owners and the backroom staff are more worried about the commercial side than they are about the football side. Just today there was report that Neville's criticism wasn't helping the club and that it was 'disturbing'. You guys went from Sancho to Dembele to a 34 y/o Cavani. That's a mental downgrade. I've never seen a club need a DoF more but will never really install a good one due to Woodward.

42 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Good signing. Y’all have done it months ago, though.

We were working at clearing out room on the books.  That's how self-sustaining models work.  It's easy to look at a club and say, "Oh, billionaire owner, obviously he treats the club as the same sort of plaything that other sugardaddy owners like Mansour and Abramovich do," but that's never going to be the case with Kroenke.  We had to sell before we bought - or at minimum get money off the wage bill before we bought because the Atletico made it clear since May that they weren't letting Partey go for anything less than his release clause (all up front, no installments at all).  We made a ton of attempts to see if they were amenable to any kind of bargaining because it had been clear since mid/late July that the player had no intentions other than either staying at Atletico or coming to Arsenal (so as much as Atletico felt they had leverage, we had leverage too).

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

massive wages and no resale value, it's not that great. Arsenal should have gotten Aouar done 

You have to pay for quality on wages.  That's just the way it is.  Also, as I've learned from Swiss Ramble who I trust implicitly on these matters, media reports of wages are often distorted to fit whatever narrative the audience of the publication is targeting likes best.  How much/what of the figure is actually subject or affected by add-ons, tied to reaching benchmarks, etc. are very often left out in favor of just reporting the bulk number, which isn't accurate reporting.

Partey was the bigger need to Aouar.  I'll die on that hill.  And he's in his prime right now; more specifically - and I know the popular narrative is to call him "the new Vieira," but I hold Patrick at a higher strata that he could reach, but he's certainly not there yet - a prime Michael Essien (coincidentally, Partey is the same age that Chelsea signed Essien to a 5-year extension in 2008.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:10 AM, Kip Smithers said:

Gonna be interesting to see if Arteta still opts for a back 3. If he keeps a back 3 then I don’t this signing is gonna help in creating chances. Or is he willing to play a back 4 now which leaves you more vulnerable. 

My bet is closer to a 4-3-3, but I still expect something of a bit fluid shape with the FB's still staggered a bit more forward and one of the central mids dropping in as a pseudo-3rd-CB/defensive-FB when those FB's bomb up the flanks.  Bellerin isn't a stellar crosser (better than he was when he first started playing the position, but he's no Bacary Sagna - if Pepe gets more minutes, he also doesn't need to be because Pepe is a great crosser), Tierney is.

Where Partey stands to create more chances is by freeing up Xhaka (I know a lot of people are going to expect Partey to replace Xhaka, but initially I expect him to partner him) to play more overhead passes from the intermediate level.  This also frees up the FB/WB's to play more advanced and make incisive runs to the inside channels (Bellerin has done this particularly well this season, of note) as well as overlapping runs up the wings.