Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

18 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I’ve heard them linked with Kane, Lukaku, Haaland, and Ings this summer. He can’t afford be stubborn.

Are y’all really trying to buy Maddison? I wouldn’t like it but he’s had a lot of injuries the past couple of seasons and had not been consistent. If we had to sell one of him, Tielemens or Ndidi, I would hope it would be him.

I genuinely don't know what Arsenal are doing right now?  I don't blame them for not wanting to make Buendia their marquee signing of the summer, but I also think that while it will be a cold day in hell before the Kroenke's actually sink their own money into a club that's not returning them hand-over-fist (they've seen the valuation of their shares increase in their time, but they haven't actually taken any money out of the club either), I think I'm seeing signs that they're willing to make a calculated bet on the continued (and likely expanding) profitability of the PL, so if the right (highly subjective use of that word there, by intention) deal were presented to them, they'd take out further loans (in the clubs name) to fund said deals in the present.

The only thing I know for certain is the activity on the home front where we're prioritizing locking up the young players we want to build around ahead of just about everything.  Tierney's 5-year-extension was announced today.  Smith Rowe's is in-process.  While I doubt we're going to be building around Nketiah, we've at least exercised club options to add another year onto his, and I believe 1 or 2 others (Guendouzi - who is as good as gone - is another) to preserve what sale value they do have.

As a standalone, I don't love the idea of selling Saliba after spending 28m to buy him while never giving him an actual in-season start for the club.  He is, for all intents and purposes, "old regime" though and while I wouldn't love it, if it offset the value of bringing in Ben White as our starting RCB (who has also played some RB and DM for Brighton) and relegating Holding where he is more appropriate (as the 1st-reserve CB), I can understand the line of thinking.

A lot for us, I believe, depends on where Arteta and Edu envisage playing Smith Rowe in the immediate future.  I genuinely believe that as he fills out his frame and gets stronger with age, his future is as a #8 not a #10.  But at his age he needs regular minutes to continue his development and barring us bringing in someone who will seize the CAM spot with authority, his better immediate position is as that floating CAM, similar to KDB.  Saka can play some CAM, but he's at his best cutting in from the advanced flank and the edges of the penalty box.  Pepe appears to finally have turned a corner and is playing at least within sniffing distance of the fee we paid for him.  He should be a starting XI fixture next season, particularly since we have less matches on the whole with no Europe.  Our fans are clamoring for Martinelli to be pushing into the starting XI, but, barring an injury or in match-up-specific situations, I have trouble seeing who at-the-expense-of.  I won't be surprised whichever way the coin lands on Lacazette.  If we get a good offer for him (which, if it were to happen, wouldn't happen until several other ST dominoes fall first), I wouldn't be surprised if we sell him on.  I equally wouldn't be surprised to see him offered a 1-year extension tacked on to his existing contract and they kick the can down the road a bit in hopes of landing European money next summer and/or also allowing Folarin Balogun to go out on loan (which I think he should; it will benefit him more than languishing as the #3 striker on the bench for a season) and continue his development.  All accounts I've heard is that they're going to start bedding in Charlie Patino this year, but that likely means more a case of he'll train with the 1st team and play with the U21's; so barring a Saka-like ascendancy, he's likely this year of training and possibly/likely a year loaned-out before he can be depended on for meaningful 1st team minutes beyond cup games.  It's why I wouldn't hate Ruben Neves as a bridge who would still maintain some solid sell-on value (and Neves' ability to hit those direct longballs to the flanks would service Tierney, Saka, and Pepe tremendously).  Similarly, I'd love Sabitzer, but we haven't been connected to him in any way that I've seen.

Someone I'd love to go out and get, and I'm honestly surprised to not see his name out as someone getting much of any interest from PL clubs is Matheus Perreira who was certainly not any of the reason West Brom went down last season.  And I do think he can play centrally if asked.

• 2 weeks later...

Ogden is pretty reliable, too (his mocking of Harry Kane's voice didn't help his career).

Big gamble from United in my opinion. He will be on a monster wage, and is he really going to enjoy going from being a star in a successful Madrid team (since he has been there) to bein in rainy Manchester, playing for a team that is swimming against the Pep tide?

I have my doubts. Can't fault the ambition from United, mind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 2:32 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Ogden is pretty reliable, too (his mocking of Harry Kane's voice didn't help his career).

Big gamble from United in my opinion. He will be on a monster wage, and is he really going to enjoy going from being a star in a successful Madrid team (since he has been there) to bein in rainy Manchester, playing for a team that is swimming against the Pep tide?

He is pretty reliable.  Though it's hilarious how butthurt he gets when challenged on Twitter.

Ornstein is, even if he's had a Spurs-lean of recent, as reliable an Arsenal source as it gets and the Athletic were the first to break the story - which again have really strong reliability.  Nice to finally have this one done (or at least announced).  Though a massive segment of our supporters are still whining incessantly about why Saliba hasn't been given a chance (two main reasons: He's 20 and Ligue 1 proven is not PL proven, and Arteta and Edu may well be managing this window with their jobs on the line, meaning they're not going to be apt to pile a boatload of trust into unproven youth).

Figure this likely means a departure of Rob Holding may well be likely next summer, if Saliba is in fact in their long-term plans.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:19 AM, Dr LBC said:

He is pretty reliable.  Though it's hilarious how butthurt he gets when challenged on Twitter.

I've met him before. He's actually a nice guy, funny in a dry humour sort of way. Typical bloke from Greater Manchester.

He's terrible on twitter. Hates it. Only bothers with it because, well, it's 2021 journalism.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

It's looking increasingly like Ogden got a hell of a scoop here.

I still have my doubts. United have had so many issues with buying players from top clubs who are beyond/on the cusp of being beyond their peak powers.

He's going to be on a monster wage, so here's hoping he lives up to it. On paper, he's a perfect compliment to Maguire.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:42 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

@PARROTHEAD Crystal Palace is having a good transfer window.

I dont know what to make of things. Spend 20 mil on Andersen. Then double down on the position and send 25 mil to Chelsea for Guehi. More than double what the guy is worth. Seems like a waste of 25 mil that could have been spent on 3 players his age with just as much upside.

Looking forward to seeing what 19yo Olise has to bring. Olise deal looks like a steal seeing as hes better than Guehi and only cost 10mil.

Tino is one of Chelsea's best prospects; I have seen him a few times in the FA Youth Cup over the last couple of years, and he's an excellent talent. Unbelievable engine and delivery from wide positions.

I am surprised we don't see more of this type of signing from top teams. Clearly, Chelsea will have a buy back (likely at a very reasonable price) that they have to exercise within 2/3 years.

It's really a win-win for both teams. The player is allowed to become more settled than a loan move, where a player is constantly thinking of their future. Also, Southampton will be more dedicated to the player's progression given that he is a contract player of their own.

Yes, Chelsea will have to pay a sum of money to get him back should they wish to, but it will likely be a (relative) small sum for a player that they would want as part of their squad. Plus, there is no guarantee Tino would develop in the same way if he was to stay at Chelsea with loan moves sprinkled in. 

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am surprised we don't see more of this type of signing from top teams. Clearly, Chelsea will have a buy back (likely at a very reasonable price) that they have to exercise within 2/3 years.

Because of the same reasons why these teams (Chelsea in this case) are letting him go, they are more senior and ready made players on the team. Not enough room. This is a great move for him and Chelsea.