Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

12 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Bale retired from "Professional Football".

He will be testing the "Sports Entertainment" version with LA in the MLS.

He’s gonna wreck the MLS. Hadn’t even realized that Toronto signed Lorenzo Insigne, that’s a pretty amazing get for them 

13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Matt Turner going too. Happy for him to get a shot. 

I'm not optimistic to be honest.  Unless Turner's got something he hasn't shown in New England (or develops it damn quick), he really doesn't fit Arteta's system.  Good shot-stopper, not good with the ball at his feet, his distribution is pretty poor - in short, he's not a sweeper-keeper which is why Arteta was so eager to move on from the like of Leno.

• Like 1

PSG get who I think is perhaps the best defender in football - Škriniar. Beast.

Arsenal also look good for Lisandro. Apparently over the last 2 seasons, Arsenal are actually the biggest net spenders across all European leagues. Far cry from the latter Wenger days 

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

PSG get who I think is perhaps the best defender in football - Škriniar. Beast.

Arsenal also look good for Lisandro. Apparently over the last 2 seasons, Arsenal are actually the biggest net spenders across all European leagues. Far cry from the latter Wenger days 

I mean, if you look at the Rams (not the greatest example but still a relevant example) the Kroenkes don't really have an issue opening the checkbook if they see a plan whereby they stand to make profit on their investment.  They're American businessmen, that's basically one of the more vanilla mantras of American business ("spend money to make money").  The structure and plan appear to be there now and, something I think may be relevant, they're out-and-out full owners as opposed to majority-shareholders (so they're both not having to share their recoups and they're not having to try and coax adjusted investment out of pretty cheap, old boardmembers - and you couldn't squeeze a red pence out of Sir Chips Kesswick).

Honestly we had the money to spend (likely not quite this much) when Big Weng was here, but one of Arsene's biggest faults were his idealism and his stubborness - not a great combination to try and work against when you're trying to coax change from status quo.

16 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I mean, if you look at the Rams (not the greatest example but still a relevant example) the Kroenkes don't really have an issue opening the checkbook if they see a plan whereby they stand to make profit on their investment.  They're American businessmen, that's basically one of the more vanilla mantras of American business ("spend money to make money").  The structure and plan appear to be there now and, something I think may be relevant, they're out-and-out full owners as opposed to majority-shareholders (so they're both not having to share their recoups and they're not having to try and coax adjusted investment out of pretty cheap, old boardmembers - and you couldn't squeeze a red pence out of Sir Chips Kesswick).

Honestly we had the money to spend (likely not quite this much) when Big Weng was here, but one of Arsene's biggest faults were his idealism and his stubborness - not a great combination to try and work against when you're trying to coax change from status quo.

A lot of it is not getting much for departing players, or letting them go for free, over that span too. According to my Arsenal supporting friend.

Raphina off the table by the looks. Chelsea

21 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A lot of it is not getting much for departing players, or letting them go for free, over that span too. According to my Arsenal supporting friend.

Raphina off the table by the looks. Chelsea

Honestly, I don't think the Kroenkes give a toss about outgoings - good or bad.  It needs to be fixed because outside clubs on the continent are past starting to assume that players they want they can just wait out and get the contracts voided, and at some point the club just needs to eat the loss for principal's sake.  The business that Fiorentina is trying to pull with Torreira is flaming horsecrap especially in light of the money they have from the Vlahovic sale and the other players they've been credibly linked to this window.

Raphinha looks off... surprise, surprise... bring in a Dodgers owner, get a Dodgers approach to the offseason!  We should, likely, move on to Gakpo (which would be an interesting FU to Leeds) or Asensio (personally, I'd much prefer the former).

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:26 AM, Dr LBC said:

Honestly, I don't think the Kroenkes give a toss about outgoings - good or bad.  It needs to be fixed because outside clubs on the continent are past starting to assume that players they want they can just wait out and get the contracts voided, and at some point the club just needs to eat the loss for principal's sake.  The business that Fiorentina is trying to pull with Torreira is flaming horsecrap especially in light of the money they have from the Vlahovic sale and the other players they've been credibly linked to this window.

Raphinha looks off... surprise, surprise... bring in a Dodgers owner, get a Dodgers approach to the offseason!  We should, likely, move on to Gakpo (which would be an interesting FU to Leeds) or Asensio (personally, I'd much prefer the former).

Do you think there was anything in the rumours that Kroenke wasn’t spending at Arsenal for a time because he needed the cash sitting in Arsenal to fulfil debt covenants for elsewhere in his group, i.e to fund the Rams’ stadium?

Can’t blame Fiorentina for trying though. No sense in paying over the odds for a player that you could get for a lower price. It’s not as if they committed to buying him at €15m or whatever it was. Besides, they’ve probably got one eye on the new financial sustainability rules when trying to get him in the door and the personal terms he wanted meant a lower transfer fee was needed

On 7/2/2022 at 2:48 AM, Buc Ball said:

Do you think there was anything in the rumours that Kroenke wasn’t spending at Arsenal for a time because he needed the cash sitting in Arsenal to fulfil debt covenants for elsewhere in his group, i.e to fund the Rams’ stadium?

Can’t blame Fiorentina for trying though. No sense in paying over the odds for a player that you could get for a lower price. It’s not as if they committed to buying him at €15m or whatever it was. Besides, they’ve probably got one eye on the new financial sustainability rules when trying to get him in the door and the personal terms he wanted meant a lower transfer fee was needed

Kroenke doesn't need money.  Even if he doesn't tap into his wife's end of the wealth (i.e. the Walton/Walmart end) he's one of the richest NFL owners.  And realistically, when you're that wealthy, you're never worried about ability to outlay or get a line of credit from a bank, because as long as you've got tangible assets of value (collateral) and a history of actually settling your past/existing debts, lending institutions will line up for your business.  In that respect, he needed Arsenal and his other franchises to show a recent history of being profitable - he didn't need them to be cash cows, just to have stability more than anything.  And, as such, the question can be asked how much risk to that stability he was willing to take during that period that involved financing and building SoFi (and pulling off the moveback of the Rams from St. Louis).  It's because of that stability that I think was the big contributor to Wenger being kept around for as long as he was - because Arsene was nothing if not predictable in the way that economists and Wall Street types absolutely covet; you could set your watch by Wenger.

I touched on this in an article I co-authored for You Are My Arsenal about 2 years ago, Kroenke in his history in sporting franchises has shown that he'll spent (and really not have a cap on how much that amount would be) so long as the prospectus suggested he had a (notably) better than even chance of making that money back along with sufficient profit.  Jury's still out on whether he's found his Les Snead equivalent with Arsenal.  Vinai is a yes-man.  Richard Garlic is proven elsewhere but doesn't have a suitable sample-size as Arsenal to judge him yet.  Edu may or may not be the guy; honestly, Edu may be more Brad Holmes than he is Les Snead (i.e. the type that can unearth gems and building competitive teams; but hasn't shown he has the killer instinct to strike out and design/create new paradigms - as needed - to get over the hump from competing but ultimately ending up as an also-ran to competing and winning silverware on a semi-regular rate of return).