Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

You know I didn't even consider this. But the fact that Blackpool just got a new manager, this may be a very real possibility. 

I agree with Rice, they won't let him go right now, but if he's our summer plans we aren't splurging on a midfielder in Jan. But if that's the case....is 27mil all we spend in the Winter window? That seems very frugal considering we're trying to do everything we can to shore ourselves up for a title run. Even knowing we're also getting Smith-Rowe back. Do we bring in a dedicated Nketiah backup? I can't believe that was our only winter move. 

It won't be all we spend, but I'm not convinced that all of what we buy this winter will be with solely the remainder of this season in mind.  I can see making a January move for Ivan Frisneda, particularly in an attempt to lock him in now since he's also wanted by Chelsea but Real Villadolid apparently want him back on loan for the rest of this season if they sell him, which we're far more in a position to do than Chelsea are (even if buying him does result in a sale of Cedric to Fulham).  Frisneda has, from what I've seen in his play, every tool that Arteta would covet in a RB if he wants both his fullbacks to act interchangeably in duties (i.e. ability to rotate into the rear-central midfield to cover for CM's who venture forward in attack the way that Zinchenko does on the left.  Frisneda is also young enough that he's not going to oust Ben White, but still gives him competition and cover (allowing Tomiyasu to be the ultra utility back-line player, able to play either fullback spot or either CB spot - and likely meaning a sale of Tierney in the summer, but that's looking likely anyway).  About all he'd push out, likely, is Brooke Norton-Cuffy, but BNC is looking more and more like the Bellerin-style of FB which really doesn't fit Arteta's style of play outside of a "Plan B, who can't really play Plan A."

The plan all along appears to have been to bring in front line players with the versatility to play wide and up top, but while Jesus is out Nketiah's spot was never in danger - and his cover will likely come in a game-dependent manner of who or what is called for.  Martinelli has already noted in pressers that he's been training as a #9.  We've deployed Smith-Rowe as a false-9 in the past (and for the final 10 minutes at the Toilet Bowl).  Trossard is already up to pace with the PL so the adaptation time is severely cut down and it's just a matter of getting used to new teammates.  But he's played in what was effectively a two-man front for Brighton, and at least as a second-striker.  Fabio Vieira has also played as a false-9 when he was with Porto.  It's not ideal, but they gave Eddie the contract they did for a reason; we may think that (bulk number, at least - though I suspect it's chockfull for add-ons to get to that bulk number) he was overpaid, but the technical staff don't.

And any "backup to Nketiah" literally becomes a guy who wouldn't even see the bench when Jesus is back, at this point.  If there was someone to bring in on loan, I could see it, but I'm not seeing who is of requisite quality available on loan who wouldn't be "just a body*"

* Aside from Chelsea being flush with more front line players, including ones on hefty wages, than they have minutes to provide to, but they're not going to be in any hurry to help us out.

Edited by Dr LBC

Arsenal just signed another CB. I’d still like to see a CM. I don’t think it stops us from getting a big CM in the summer. We in reality need 2, as I wouldn’t trust Sambi regularly, and Elneny is just ok, and is injured. 5 CM for 2 spots isn’t that much when one is injured, one is often injured, 2 are getting older and one could use a loan.

• Like 1

Anthony Gordon not at practice today. Looks like hes heading to Newcastle. Saint Maximin on his way out.

Like to see a swap. Think each would excel. Maximin is the type of player personality Everton BADLY needs right now. He was a major part of the glue that pulled Newcastle together and out of 20th place last season.

• 4 months later...

With the transfer window opening back up again tomorrow, I figured it was a good shout to get this thread going again.

From the sound of things (Fabrizio Romano among others), Arsenal and West Ham have terms in place for Declan Rice to move to Arsenal that would reach 100m if all add-ons (which carry benchmarks of Arsenal winning the PL and/or the CL) are fully met.

Liverpool have already agreed to pay the 35m release clause for Alexis McCallister from Brighton, so that deal appears all but lacking the ink and presser.

And from everything I've read, Youri Tielemans is set to join Aston Villa on a free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

50m tops IMO

I'm not going to quibble over 10m, tbh, as long as it's add-ons that trigger if we win the league or CL (only 1 of which is, let's be real, even remotely possible for Arsenal).