Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

What's the actual point of FFP ? It's such a pointless thing when there's either clearly countless loopholes or they basically don't give a ****.

But damn, PSG is going to one hell of a line-up. No excuses for them for not challenging for CL this year.

Fabinho Veratti

Di Maria Neymar Mbappe

Cavani

6 hours ago, charger-man said:

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen.  Ligue 1 was so fun to watch last year, now it's going to be a joke.

PSG going full blown Pep-at-Bayern... if another club presents a challenge to you in the league, just leverage/buy their best players and POOF!  no more competition.

6 hours ago, Imarobot said:

Well that's because Danny Drinkwater is a massively better midfielder and not exactly old at only 3 years Barkley's senior. If it came down to 20m for Barkley or 30m for Drinkwater I think I'd take Drinkwater and I wouldn't look back.

Barkley is hardly a midfielder, well at least in the general sense. They play completely different roles. He's more of an asset to us than what Drinkwater would be. He's offers much more going forward. Drinkwater is a solid player at best. Barkley is that and has shown he can be better than that.

Edited by Kip Smithers

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Barkley is hardly a midfielder, well at least in the general sense. They play completely different roles. He's more of an asset to us than what Drinkwater would be. He's offers much more going forward. Drinkwater is a solid player at best. Barkley is that and has shown he can be better than that.

I agree with that. Barkley has much more creative ability and is a much better goal scorer than Drinkwater. Drinkwater is a more well rounded player who would play deeper than Barkley. I like Drinkwater as a player and he seems like someone who Conte would value given his style of play but Barkley would definitely add an attacking option to a squad that could probably use one as depth.

7 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

What's the actual point of FFP ? It's such a pointless thing when there's either clearly countless loopholes or they basically don't give a ****.

I think that is a very valid question. UEFA only enforces it when they want to and it's done nothing to stop what it was intended to do. Either enforce it all the way and treat every club equally or get rid of the stupid thing. I think FFP is a good idea overall but it's just a complete waste at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

But damn, PSG is going to one hell of a line-up. No excuses for them for not challenging for CL this year.

Fabinho Veratti

Di Maria Neymar Mbappe

Cavani

The loan, then buy option makes sense for Monaco as well. That should let them spend down their money this year, then next year without having to worry about paying massive income taxes on everything.

But yeah I don't see how PSG possibly avoids FFP. Even if you amortize every player expense and sell a bunch of guys near the end of their contracts to make the "value" of the sale look bigger on paper, they're spending $500M on Neymar with salaries and probably $300M more on Mbappe/Fabinho. Those 2 figures are probably nearly the entire value of the team. That's the type of insanity FFP regulations were put in place to stop. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I think that is a very valid question. UEFA only enforces it when they want to and it's done nothing to stop what it was intended to do. Either enforce it all the way and treat every club equally or get rid of the stupid thing. I think FFP is a good idea overall but it's just a complete waste at the moment. 

Its done exactly what it was intended to do. Keep the big clubs sustainable and stable and give little chance for smaller clubs to break in.

Just now, teamorange said:

Its done exactly what it was intended to do. Keep the big clubs sustainable and stable and give little chance for smaller clubs to break in.

Oh, I guess it is working after all. Death to the smaller clubs! 

As much as I don't like that Manchester City are basically run by a country I like that fact that it broke up the same handful of clubs dominating the Premier League. As you said it basically just protects the old guard from any new major investors coming in unless those investors kick UEFA some money like PSG.

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I agree with that. Barkley has much more creative ability and is a much better goal scorer than Drinkwater. Drinkwater is a more well rounded player who would play deeper than Barkley. I like Drinkwater as a player and he seems like someone who Conte would value given his style of play but Barkley would definitely add an attacking option to a squad that could probably use one as depth.

Ross Barkley would basically be Ramsey if he went to a big 4 club. Decent player but not good enough to give him complete free reign (like you can with a player like Ozil or Hazard). Basically good enough to be on the team but not good enough to play their desired (and best) role.

1 hour ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Liverpool should take it and run... especially for a player that doesn't want to play for you

Agreed, they should take it and spend it on some decent defenders. They aren't lacking going forwards, at the back is another situation, though.

25 minutes ago, PAW said:

Selling him and getting Van Dijk would help Liverpool big time.  Best CB in the PL.  

Debatable is hes the best and also debatable if Southampton would even sell to them. There's still the whole tapping up thing.