Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

48 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So basically, a healthier Jack Wilshere...

Interesting question to pose, how much does everyone think the actual quality of English players gets skewed via misrepresentation by the English press?  I don't think this is something specifically English, but it does appear to be more pronounced where England is concerned.

A lot is the answer. 

Everything is skewed when it comes to English football. The quality of footballers or the quality of football generally is drastically overrated. 

I would be very disappointed if we spent anything close to 40 million pounds on Barkley. 

He wouldn't be a first team player, is asking for silly wages and only has one year left on his contract. He would be buying a player just for the sake of it, imo.

8 hours ago, texans_uk said:

A lot is the answer. 

Everything is skewed when it comes to English football. The quality of footballers or the quality of football generally is drastically overrated. 

Don't forgot the inflated prices for English players (at least prior to the insane money being thrown around this window)

1 hour ago, kempus said:

I would be very disappointed if we spent anything close to 40 million pounds on Barkley. 

He wouldn't be a first team player, is asking for silly wages and only has one year left on his contract. He would be buying a player just for the sake of it, imo.

Yeah I think it around be a terrible move for Tottenham. 

13 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Yeah I think it around be a terrible move for Tottenham. 

If we can get him for around 20 million pounds (which looks almost impossible), I would be happy for us to take a flier on him. Poch could get him to focus and turn him around, who knows. But, if it's a choice of pay 40+ million for Barkley, or give Onomah a shot. It's a no brainer.

I'm not sure why we're really looking at attacking mids, either. In the system we were playing for the second half of last year, there's only room for 2 CAMs, really. Currently, we have Eriksen, Ali, Son as nailed on stars. With the likes of N'Koudou and Onomah as unknowns. Lamela is also an unknown because of injury and Sissoko, who has yet to show up at Spurs. It's a long drive from Newcastle to London, he must have got lost along the way somewhere. We would be better off looking at a striker, CB or RB imo.

Yeah for me it would be a waste mainly due to the talent already in his position at Spurs. I don't know where you would fit him in. Also worth mentioning his potential wage demands being higher than Harry Kane which surely wouldn't go down well. 

I think Spurs would do well to invest elsewhere. 

What gets me about Barkley too is who does he go to if not Spurs? Arsenal? Maybe but unlikely, he's not French enough for Wenger. City? They don't need to splurge £40m on another AM. United? Same. Liverpool? Maybe if they sold Coutinho. Chelsea? No. 

34 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Yeah for me it would be a waste mainly due to the talent already in his position at Spurs. I don't know where you would fit him in. Also worth mentioning his potential wage demands being higher than Harry Kane which surely wouldn't go down well. 

I think Spurs would do well to invest elsewhere. 

What gets me about Barkley too is who does he go to if not Spurs? Arsenal? Maybe but unlikely, he's not French enough for Wenger. City? They don't need to splurge £40m on another AM. United? Same. Liverpool? Maybe if they sold Coutinho. Chelsea? No. 

Yeah, no way he gets paid that much. Outside of Spurs, I guess West Ham would be an option. They would pay the big wages, would be a step down from Everton, though. The market for him is small. Which is why I expect Levy to wait until the 11th hour to make any reasonable bid for him or for Everton to crack.

Just now, kempus said:

Yeah, no way he gets paid that much. Outside of Spurs, I guess West Ham would be an option. They would pay the big wages, would be a step down from Everton, though. The market for him is small. Which is why I expect Levy to wait until the 11th hour to make any reasonable bid for him or for Everton to crack.

It's strange for Koeman to come out and say he is 100% leaving, maybe he has misread the market or has some significant knowledge that isn't public yet.

West Ham is an option but would be a strange step for Barkley.

12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

It's strange for Koeman to come out and say he is 100% leaving, maybe he has misread the market or has some significant knowledge that isn't public yet.

West Ham is an option but would be a strange step for Barkley.

Yeah, I think Barkley has burned a lot of bridges at Everton. Koeman probably just wants to get rid of him. Would be strage, but I don't see many other options in England.

Thursday 27th July Rumours

• Borussia Dortmund's Spanish midfielder Mikel Merino, is close to signing for Newcastle
  • United retain a strong interest in Nemanja Matic
  • Nobody is really clear on the status of Lemar or Mbappe, Monaco now claim they don't want to lose either of them
  • Mourinho hinted Zlatan could be returning to United this season
  • Coutinho has reportedly asked Liverpool to allow him a move and has already agreed terms
  • PSG still believe they are in the running for Neymar
  • A host of clubs are looking at James Collins from West Ham, for some reason
  • The Keita transfer saga continues to rumble on, with the RB Leipzig Sporting Director criticising his advisors
  • West Brom are working hard to sign Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough who are refusing to sell to a mid-table side
  • One interesting rumour is AC Milan's potential interest in Diego Costa. With Atletico Madrid in the midst of a transfer ban, a sign & loan deal could be on the cards
Edited by texans_uk

Does UEFA's transfer ban allow for loans-in?  Although I could see it as being something that might get a club on UEFA's bad side (though let's be real, certain clubs know that even if they do wrong in UEFA's eyes they're only going to get slapped on the wrist), I'm surprise - if that is something permitted - that more clubs haven't tried to use that as a means of turning a quick profit.  Basically act as the third party in a trade to buy a player a transfer-banned club covets and loan said player to them with a purchase-at-end-of-loan clause that puts a worthwhile markup on the transfer fee paid.

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Does UEFA's transfer ban allow for loans-in?  Although I could see it as being something that might get a club on UEFA's bad side (though let's be real, certain clubs know that even if they do wrong in UEFA's eyes they're only going to get slapped on the wrist), I'm surprise - if that is something permitted - that more clubs haven't tried to use that as a means of turning a quick profit.  Basically act as the third party in a trade to buy a player a transfer-banned club covets and loan said player to them with a purchase-at-end-of-loan clause that puts a worthwhile markup on the transfer fee paid.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but Chelsea are obviously consigned to selling Costa. He only wants to play for Atletico. So maybe they sign him, but he will join in January and in the meantime he goes on loan to Milan. 

There are so many ways I'm sure of working around this. 

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

Does UEFA's transfer ban allow for loans-in?

No.  Its technically a ban on being able to register new players that weren't on the books prior to the ban, not strictly a ban on buying players. 

Hence how Barca bought Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal during their transfer ban and how Atleti has bought Vitolo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

No.  Its technically a ban on being able to register new players that weren't on the books prior to the ban, not strictly a ban on buying players. 

Hence how Barca bought Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal during their transfer ban and how Atleti has bought Vitolo.

Thing is with Turan & Vidal they both effectively sat out half a season.

Your example with Vitolo is perfect though as they have loaned him out to Las Palmas.