Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

14 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Seems Dembele's fee is €145M total, including very soft bonus targets. Take off €20M for Rennes and Dortmund virtually sit on €125M. If they do it right and spend it on Toljan, Goretzka, Malcom (now) and somebody like Keita (next year) they have a better team than Bayern in 2018.

Good piece of business. Could probably use some depth on the wings though as after Pulisic and Phillip the options are basically playing central players out of position.

11 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I agree with Keita, but Dortmund even without the Dembele money now is in the position to buy from every club in Germany except Bayern and Leipzig. Money wise. Schalke will sell a player that is on his last year of his contract and isn't willing to sign a new deal for the right price. 

There simply is no way that Goretzka leaves Schalke for Dortmund. Pretty sure he'll end up at Bayern, just like every good German in this league. Not sure BVB will ever be able to break into the highest rank of football clubs, therefore they'll always be a step-stone(a pretty good one though) for talents on their way to the big guns. Keita is out of their reach and they've just signed Dahoud, so they don't really need him anyway.

Edited by AustrianNiner

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Did Ox really turn down 180k/wk from Arsenal?

That story originated with Matt Law of the DT, I believe.  And he doesn't exactly have a good track record of reporting Arsenal stuffs.  That said, there's just bits to it that don't add up.  I have trouble believing Wenger would give any player a 300% increase on their wages (even Bellerin, who has proven more than Ox has at this point, only jumped a little bit under 200% on his recent extension up to 100k/wk).  But even if he did, if he were to concede that for a player like Ox while being perceived as to have balked or let Alexis price himself out by demanding a similar percentage increase, people would be back out sharpening the stick for spit to roast him alive.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

That story originated with Matt Law of the DT, I believe.  And he doesn't exactly have a good track record of reporting Arsenal stuffs.  That said, there's just bits to it that don't add up.  I have trouble believing Wenger would give any player a 300% increase on their wages (even Bellerin, who has proven more than Ox has at this point, only jumped a little bit under 200% on his recent extension up to 100k/wk).  But even if he did, if he were to concede that for a player like Ox while being perceived as to have balked or let Alexis price himself out by demanding a similar percentage increase, people would be back out sharpening the stick for spit to roast him alive.

Well Wenger apparently rates him very highly to the point where he said he's a player they can build around. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Well Wenger apparently rates him very highly to the point where he said he's a player they can build around. 

Source?  Because that goes against what I've heard from sources like Phillippe Auclair who actually do interact on the regular with Wenger.  One would think if Arsene thought he was a player he could build around, he'd be playing Ox in a set position instead of as a Swiss Army knife type player.

As to the Mustafi bit, there's been a pretty substantial swirl the last week and a half that Arsenal are in for VVD (I still think, ultimately Chelsea or City would probably swoop in and blow us out of the water with a substantially larger wage offer if anything comes of this) and James Dodd reported that we (along with most other PL clubs - which is no surprise) have met with the player and Sou'ton would rather sell to us than Liverpool.

If you look do the math, the 10m made in the Gabriel sale plus the 35m price reported to be what the starting point for Mustafi quoted to Milan, that would basically offset the VVD purchase - and we all know how Wenger loves his net-transfer wins.  Though the deal with Mustafi is apparently that they're not certain about him not trying to force his way out next summer after the WC (which sounds like paper talk, but is conceivable).

1 hour ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Lol Wenger... but he wont sell Sanchez for any price.

Let's not act like they're remotely comparable players.  The "selling to rivals" aside, 35m (as the starting point of a "potential bidding war" - I'll believe that when I see it...) for a squad player in the last year of his contract who is still more potential than product like Ox is pretty sound business.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Source?  Because that goes against what I've heard from sources like Phillippe Auclair who actually do interact on the regular with Wenger.  One would think if Arsene thought he was a player he could build around, he'd be playing Ox in a set position instead of as a Swiss Army knife type player.

As to the Mustafi bit, there's been a pretty substantial swirl the last week and a half that Arsenal are in for VVD (I still think, ultimately Chelsea or City would probably swoop in and blow us out of the water with a substantially larger wage offer if anything comes of this) and James Dodd reported that we (along with most other PL clubs - which is no surprise) have met with the player and Sou'ton would rather sell to us than Liverpool.

If you look do the math, the 10m made in the Gabriel sale plus the 35m price reported to be what the starting point for Mustafi quoted to Milan, that would basically offset the VVD purchase - and we all know how Wenger loves his net-transfer wins.  Though the deal with Mustafi is apparently that they're not certain about him not trying to force his way out next summer after the WC (which sounds like paper talk, but is conceivable).

Wenger said it himself the other day.

2 hours ago, Imarobot said:

That's a great piece of business and if they're smart I'd imagine they'll be able to sell him themselves for a hefty profit in a year or two.

At this rate, if Johnny Evans is worth 25m, if Burke has a decent season he'll be worth a fortune. 

7 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Apparently Barça baulked at the idea of paying £13m for Dembele last summer. Lol.

The transfer fees don't bother me near as much as this crap. Same thing with Dembele at Celtic, was available on a free and he went to Celtic and had a great season dominating Scotland and now everyone is interested.