Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

1 hour ago, PFM18 said:

Drinkwater's a good player but he's not worth £40m. We had/have players that could backup Kante and Bakayoko. We had Chalobah who we let go to Watford for a paltry sum. We also have players like Pasalic and Van Ginkel who can play there but we've decided to loan them out yet again.

Point is we shouldn't have found ourselves in this position. We've let players go that we didn't need to and could have been useful in our squad.

Chalobah hasn't proven anything at the top level and Pasalic and Van Ginkel have been constantly injured for both of their (short) careers.  I think a lot of people on this board are underselling Drinkwater.

Drinkwater is decent, but it's pretty dumb to spend 40 million on a guy who will rarely play (he will clearly be the 4th CM). I don't think anyone thinks he sucks, just that his price is ridiculous even in this market. Chalobah or RLC could've easily filled in as a 4th CM for free. 

1 minute ago, PAW said:

Drinkwater is decent, but it's pretty dumb to spend 40 million on a guy who will rarely play (he will clearly be the 4th CM). I don't think anyone thinks he sucks, just that his price is ridiculous even in this market. Chalobah or RLC could've easily filled in as a 4th CM for free. 

I don't think the club is as enamored with Chalobah as others seem to be. They've seen plenty of him and didn't think he was good enough and RLC wouldn't fill the same role that Drinkwater will. He's also not necessarily 4th choice. I'd say in a 2 man midfield against teams that can press us that he's the likely starter next to Kante, especially since Conte has said that Bakayoko needs time to adjust (and also fully recover from his injury).  Fabregas isn't an 'every game' option in the midfield because he's not a traditional central midfield player. There will be PLENTY of games for Drinkwater and he's a perfect fit for what we're missing. People can get hung up in the value of the transfer all they want, but the fact is that he's a hardworking, gritty central mid that is perfect for Conte.

4 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

I don't think the club is as enamored with Chalobah as others seem to be. They've seen plenty of him and didn't think he was good enough and RLC wouldn't fill the same role that Drinkwater will. He's also not necessarily 4th choice. I'd say in a 2 man midfield against teams that can press us that he's the likely starter next to Kante, especially since Conte has said that Bakayoko needs time to adjust (and also fully recover from his injury).  Fabregas isn't an 'every game' option in the midfield because he's not a traditional central midfield player. There will be PLENTY of games for Drinkwater and he's a perfect fit for what we're missing. People can get hung up in the value of the transfer all they want, but the fact is that he's a hardworking, gritty central mid that is perfect for Conte.

Cool, he should have no business over Bakayoko. Adjustment or not. Drinkwater is gonna play sparingly. Bakayoko isn't gonna take a whole season to adapt. In the big games it's Bakayoko and Kante or flat out week in week out. Or Kante and Cesc for the rest of the games. There's a reason why we're hesitant paying 40m even in spite of the home grown restrictions. Conte doesn't like him that much. I do agree with you on Chalobah though and I'm shocked he's in the England squad.

Getting Keita next season is exciting. Would be a better player than Can as a replacement if he leaves for free.

Not sure about the value of Lemar. I guess he is a good option with Lallana and Coutinho out but I don't see how he fits if both are healthy

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Depending on the exact details Arsenal should take this and run. Sanchez has already said he isn't staying.

What does this mean for Aguero too? He'll never crack the front three with Jesus, Sane, Sanchez and B.Silva.

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Depending on the exact details Arsenal should take this and run. Sanchez has already said he isn't staying.

What does this mean for Aguero too? He'll never crack the front three with Jesus, Sane, Sanchez and B.Silva.

Aguero should already have requested a transfer, imo. Pep doesn't like him. Arsenal would be incredibly stupid not to take that deal. 

13 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Would Sterling move there? City to Arsenal currently is a step down, and I'm sure he could go to a better side. Depending on the cash, it'd be a terrific deal for Arsenal if Sterling accepts the move.

Aguero isn't there for long imo. As Kempus said, Pep for whatever reason doesn't rate him.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41079784

Hughes is turning into Pulis and building from the back.

They are still missing a CF though, Crouch is not the long term answer and Berahino can't buy a goal.

Good move for everyone. Decent price for Spurs. Wimmer got his move away as he was never going to play here. Stoke got a CB with significant potential for a snip on todays market.

7 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41079784

Hughes is turning into Pulis and building from the back.

They are still missing a CF though, Crouch is not the long term answer and Berahino can't buy a goal.

Ha. That was my exact same thought when I read that yesterday. Their CBs are extremely good and Pieters is a good LB. They don't look like they're going to be conceding too many goals this year.