1990s Thriller - Official FF BMET (Poll)

Deadpulse

Thriller  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 1990s

• The Usual Suspects
    • The Fugitive
    • Pulp Fiction
    • L.A. Confidential
    • Heat
    • Wild Things
    • Misery
    • Fight Club
    • Jurassic Park
    • Falling Down
    • Fargo
    • Se7en

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/16/2020 at 08:00 PM

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Paltrow is literally a plot device.  Brad Pitt's dogs showed more personality in Se7en than Paltrow's character did.  Her only real scene of any kind of development wasn't development. 

So basically, Se7en is literally an interracial buddy film that had literally everything except the pieta of The Defiant Ones.  Homoeroticism?  Check.  Male Pastoral?  Check.  Unless you think Paltrow was remotely developed for anything other than shock factor with her death.  That scene of her telling Morgan Freeman about her pregnancy before Brad Pitt?  That was setting up the pieta without the pieta. 

So the homoeroticism...

Awkwardness and animosity at the start.  Pitt taking over for Freeman, the awkward phone call at the beginning... It's like a romantic comedy.
Pitt telling Freeman to go to the other side of the booth so nobody thinks they're on a date.
The other cop calling them lovebirds.
The animosity ends after Freeman and Pitt go over the case over beers and wine.
The relationship is "consummated" when they're literally asleep together on the couch waiting for results on something I can't remember.

Male Pastoral I've already gone over.

The Pieta is different here since Fincher tried to reverse the roles in some sort of progressive role reversal, but what's really funny is that while he was trying to reverse the racial roles, he ends up affirming them completely and irrevocably by the end despite his best attempts not to.  The lengths at which Fincher tried to switch this up only to end up doing the same thing is embarrassing.  All the jazz music and Freeman being well-dressed and chastising guards for their lack of knowledge while sitting in a library while simultaneously making Brad Pitt look disheveled and unkempt and being wild and impulsive...

They literally went as far as desexualizing Freeman's character, too, which is embarrassing. 

So throughout the movie, Brad Pitt is fighting the good fight against crime and evil and all that while Freeman is the one at odds with the world.  Paltrow's conversation with Freeman was about the same thing.  She didn't want to bring a baby into such a bad world and blah blah blah. 

So Freeman is about to retire because of all this evil in the world.  The original ending actually had Freeman literally sacrificing himself by shooting Spacey's character for Pitt.  That was changed to avoid all this, but then Freeman changes his mind because of what Pitt did.  He literally sacrifices his life decision for Pitt's life decision. 

So just like literally every interracial buddy film, the white male, in spite of Fincher's best attempts to avoid it, turns once again into the ideological chaperone.  It is nothing new, nothing inventive, nothing spectacular and it is remembered solely for Paltrow's head in a box even though we never actually even see her head in a box. 

At the end you can practically see Freeman cradling Pitt's character. 

Yep, love this recut trailer to make it look like romantic comedy

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

If you want to talk about overrated then usual suspects is your film

Agreed, that film is wildly overrated no doubt about it.  Interesting and unique story but it is not nearly as good as some say it is.  

11 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

As much as I love the original (real) Jurassic Park, I have to give it to The Fugitive. One of the best movies of the 90s, and it got me interested in the 1960s TV series which is also great.

I love The Fugitive no doubt about it, outstanding film and is getting very underrated in this process.  Might be more a crime drama but most of these films are, some might call it an action movie.  But there are multiple iconic scenes in that film, it is awesome.  I am going to put Jurassic Park into action/adventure, fits better there than Thriller arguably.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, that film is wildly overrated no doubt about it.  Interesting and unique story but it is not nearly as good as some say it is.  

I love The Fugitive no doubt about it, outstanding film and is getting very underrated in this process.  Might be more a crime drama but most of these films are, some might call it an action movie.  But there are multiple iconic scenes in that film, it is awesome.  I am going to put Jurassic Park into action/adventure, fits better there than Thriller arguably.  

If it wasn't for the twist of Usual Suspects, don’t think people would care for it as much.

Haven’t seen the fugitive

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

If it wasn't for the twist of Usual Suspects, don’t think people would care for it as much.

Haven’t seen the fugitive

The Fugitive is well worth it, arguably has the best combination of suspense, action, mystery and drama of any film listed here for the 90s.