Joe Mixon contract

Johnny Nix

So after seeing CMC just land a big 16 per year deal, I’m nervous about extending Joe. He’s gonna be shooting near that if not trying to go higher. 

If you knew Joe wasn’t gonna resign, would you trade back a little in the 2nd and land a Dobbins or Swift?

I think it would depend on the type of offense that we want to run with Burrow at QB. If we go more to the 5 man protections and spread everyone out, I think we’d covet more of the CEH role and kinda go to the philosophy that the pats have had with a Blount/michel and a white/Lewis. 

• Like 1

Depending on how he plays this season (and if he stays healthy) I would much rather use that money on WJIII than Mixon. 

Now that we’re on this subject, the offense needs to do a better job of scheming the ball to Mixon in the passing game. He’s a very capable receiver, it’s inexcusable how little he’s used in that respect.

Also, this McCaffery deal is the absolute ceiling, untouchable by Mixon’s standard. The next domino to fall will be the most important. Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Aaron Jones and Nick Chubb are all looking for new deals soon. 

Edited by SmittyBacall

8 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

I think it would depend on the type of offense that we want to run with Burrow at QB. If we go more to the 5 man protections and spread everyone out, I think we’d covet more of the CEH role and kinda go to the philosophy that the pats have had with a Blount/michel and a white/Lewis. 

Word is the offense is already being revamped to incorporate that.  Something I saw on Twitter about how in Zoom interview with Cincinnati media Taylor talked about not needing to wait to the draft to start retooling the offense for 2020.  That along with a few other nuggets were pretty much Taylor yelling "WE'RE TAKING BURROW!" without actually saying it.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

That's a big nope.  Anything over $10 million then let him play out this year, franchise him next year and then maybe draft a replacement in the 2nd in 2022 if we can't find a cheap replacement later in the draft or in UDFA.

The problem is that he's been very clear that he's holding out without a new deal.  Can they count on him to actually play this year without a new deal?  That's a gamble.

I think they need a plan B and C, because i see little chance they get a deal done with him after this.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

The problem is that he's been very clear that he's holding out without a new deal.  Can they count on him to actually play this year without a new deal?  That's a gamble.

I think they need a plan B and C, because i see little chance they get a deal done with him after this.

Where has he been quoted on that?  I've seen it speculated, but never documented.

Also, the McCaffrey deal was an extension to the two remaining years on his contract (last year of rookie deal, plus they already put 5th year option on him), so if you average it out, it's way less than 16/year

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Where has he been quoted on that?  I've seen it speculated, but never documented.

Also, the McCaffrey deal was an extension to the two remaining years on his contract (last year of rookie deal, plus they already put 5th year option on him), so if you average it out, it's way less than 16/year

Paul Dehner Jr. has reported several times that he tried to hold out last year, but after a day or so of OTA's was informed he couldn't do that while on the 3rd year of his rookie deal.

I'll try to dig it up after some of my meetings today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Paul Dehner Jr. has reported several times that he tried to hold out last year, but after a day or so of OTA's was informed he couldn't do that while on the 3rd year of his rookie deal.

I'll try to dig it up after some of my meetings today.

Don't worry about it.  Now that you mention it, I remember the Dehner quotes

55 minutes ago, theJ said:

In that case, try to trade him and use that pick on a RB.  If he wants $16 million/year, then that is going to hurt the team.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

In that case, try to trade him and use that pick on a RB.  If he wants $16 million/year, then that is going to hurt the team.

I had thought about proposing that, but that's a lot of what if's down the road.

If they can't get anything worked out though by TC, and he intends to hold out, then i'm all for that.  As much as i like Joe, he's a RB.  I'd still rather they spend the money on AJ.

15 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I can almost bet all those RBs, Cook, Kamara and Mixon are gonna be looking for similar numbers and aren’t gonna settle for less unless they aren’t getting any interest and they’ve been holding out awhile 

If i'm a GM, i'm not giving any RB more than $10 million a year unless I have serious cap room and it's a 1-2 year deal.

40 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I can almost bet all those RBs, Cook, Kamara and Mixon are gonna be looking for similar numbers and aren’t gonna settle for less unless they aren’t getting any interest and they’ve been holding out awhile 

They can look for it all they want, they aren’t going to get it. 

41 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Kamara, yes.  Though, he took somewhat of a step back last year in terms of efficiency.

Cook with his injury history is not going to sniff that.  Plus, he's just not quite as dynamic even when he's out there.  He's good, but not 16mil/year good.  Probably closer to 8-10.

Joe i'm pretty confident will start negotiations around 16.  But the Bengals will for sure not pay that.  They probably wanted to start negotiations around 6.