Joe Mixon contract

Johnny Nix

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Problem is I don't think AJ takes anything under $15 mil per year.  If we can get AJ Green at under $10 million?  That's a no brainer, even with age/injury, but I don't think he would.

At this point i assume an extension this year isn't going to happen.

But next year, if they have Joe's 10M, plus whatever cap room, they should be able to get it done.

I know their contracts aren't apples-to-apples, but i'd take the money allocated toward Joe and use it to help get AJ done.

Green is currently on a franchise tag of about 18 mil. That's higher than his open market value which is probably around 15 mil. I'd offer AJ a 4 year deal for 15 mil basically pay as you go. He says he wants to finish his career with the Bengals. Given he's missed his last 23 games, nobody else would give him big guaranteed money. So that's a fair structure for both player and team.

For Mixon, I'd give him 4 new years for 35 mil with the team being able to get out of it after 2 years. He's never been paid and would likely accept that. He's not going to get McCaffrey or Elliott level pay. But it pays him better than Melvin Gordon and keeps a good player on the team through his productive years.

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Green is currently on a franchise tag of about 18 mil. That's higher than his open market value which is probably around 15 mil. I'd offer AJ a 4 year deal for 15 mil basically pay as you go. He says he wants to finish his career with the Bengals. Given he's missed his last 23 games, nobody else would give him big guaranteed money. So that's a fair structure for both player and team.

But someone might, next year after he's potentially played 16 games.  I think that's what he's banking on.

Not at his age. Let's say he plays all 16 games this year and plays well. Let's say 80 catches, 1250 yards, 10 TDs. If he went to free agency next year the team could tag him again or on the open market, lots of teams would offer 1 or 2 year deals. But nobody will give him a deal as long as the Bengals will offer and they'd all want protection in case he gets hurt again. He'd still have missed more than half his games the prior 3 years. 

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Not at his age. Let's say he plays all 16 games this year and plays well. Let's say 80 catches, 1250 yards, 10 TDs. If he went to free agency next year the team could tag him again or on the open market, lots of teams would offer 1 or 2 year deals. But nobody will give him a deal as long as the Bengals will offer and they'd all want protection in case he gets hurt again. He'd still have missed more than half his games the prior 3 years. 

I tend to agree.  I think the Bengals are probably the ones to value him the most.  But it wouldn't be the first time some team got desperate and threw big money at an aging star.  Which is why i think that's what AJ is banking on.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

That’s what they said about Whitworth.

True.  With AJ's injury history though, and the depth of the WR position as it compares to LT, his market is going to be much different.  There aren't going to be teams lining up to give him a 4-5 year deal with big guaranteed money.  

We gave Gio a big 2nd contract which he hasn't really lived up to. That's because he's not as good as Mixon. I hope the team doesn't draw the lesson that RBs shouldn't get 2nd contracts. Pay Mixon and let Gio go if the dollars are scarce. 

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We gave Gio a big 2nd contract which he hasn't really lived up to. That's because he's not as good as Mixon. I hope the team doesn't draw the lesson that RBs shouldn't get 2nd contracts. Pay Mixon and let Gio go if the dollars are scarce. 

Why? The lesson across the league is that RBs aren't with the money. Unless you want to argue that Mixon has value outside of his play on the field. In which case I can get behind. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Why? Because Mixon still has tread on his tires. Gio is a fan favorite and a great guy but a backup RB isn't worth 5 mil. A good starting RB is worth 9 mil. 

Are they?  More and more evidence is coming out that it doesn't really matter who is back there.  It's a combination of the the skill position that requires the least skill, plus the running game not really being that important.

Pretty much every team with a successful running game is using a combination of guys on rookie deals or vet minimums.  Analytics would suggest that the Bengals would be better off pocketing that money for another position, and rolling with a 5th round rookie in 2021.

After the Henry deal, i'm thinking there's no way they get a deal done with Joe this year.  Maybe he comes back after testing the market next year, but i can't see them paying Joe north of 10M, and i'm sure he's trying to settle around 13M, above Henry (since he's a comparable runner, and a better pass catcher).

I doubt Mixon is asking for more than Henry. Henry lead the league in rushing yards and carried his team down the stretch and to the AFC championship game. Mixon didn't come close to those achievements. Mixon is a good player and will have suitors if he reaches free agency. But nobody is going to pay him 12 mil or more. 

Unrelated, but PFT has a piece today speculating the Bengals might remove AJ Green's tag since he hasn't signed it yet. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I doubt Mixon is asking for more than Henry. Henry lead the league in rushing yards and carried his team down the stretch and to the AFC championship game. Mixon didn't come close to those achievements. Mixon is a good player and will have suitors if he reaches free agency. But nobody is going to pay him 12 mil or more. 

I dunno man.  Maybe he's not asking for more, but Mixon is a more valuable player IMO.  He should be asking for a comparable deal.

Last two years, Mixon had 2888 total yards.  Henry, 2904.  Difference of 16 yards.

The touchdown totals are way different, but that comes down to how the players are used.  Henry is used a battering ram near the goal line, and the Bengals have traditionally gone to the pass (plus they've sucked offensively). 

I can see how Mixon's agent would try to paint the picture that Mixon deserves 12M.