Joe Mixon contract

Johnny Nix

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, his agent may ask for 12 mil. But what team would pay him that? Certainly the Bengals won't. There will be lots of veteran RBs on the market after 2020 and they won't have much bargaining power. Even less than RBs usually have. 

Yeah thats why I think it's smart for the Bengals to wait this out. See what happens this year, and gauge the market next year. They might be able to get mixon for 8, or someone comparable for a lot less through the draft or in FA. 

37 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

Mixon is only 23. I certainly wouldn’t look to reset the position, but if I could lock him up for 3-5 years at 8-10M per I would. Especially with Burrow on his rookie deal. 

Since it looks like it's going to wait until next year, this is a wait and see type thing.

I'll assume Mixon plays well, and i'll assume that the Bengals are going to say that there's only enough money for one of Mixon or Green.

If Green shows out this year, i want him back.  If he's hurt again, shows decline, or becomes a problem because he turns player first, then bring back Mixon.

Best of both worlds is bringing them both back.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Since it looks like it's going to wait until next year, this is a wait and see type thing.

I'll assume Mixon plays well, and i'll assume that the Bengals are going to say that there's only enough money for one of Mixon or Green.

If Green shows out this year, i want him back.  If he's hurt again, shows decline, or becomes a problem because he turns player first, then bring back Mixon.

Best of both worlds is bringing them both back.

I don’t want AJ back after this year, especially if he has a career year. He’s clearly declining, hasn’t stayed healthy in years. No interest in paying him as a top 5 WR. Would much rather lock up guys going into their prime and drafting another WR in the 1/2 round then locking up AJ and drafting another RB. 

57 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

I don’t want AJ back after this year, especially if he has a career year. He’s clearly declining, hasn’t stayed healthy in years. No interest in paying him as a top 5 WR. Would much rather lock up guys going into their prime and drafting another WR in the 1/2 round then locking up AJ and drafting another RB. 

What if you're paying him as a top 15 WR? I don't think he's going to be able to get top 5 money anywhere, no matter what numbers he posts this year. 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, theJ said:

What if you're paying him as a top 15 WR? I don't think he's going to be able to get top 5 money anywhere, no matter what numbers he posts this year. 

Would still rather pay guys going into their prime than a guy clearly past his and whose body is breaking down. 

Just now, Carson4MVP said:

Would still rather pay guys going into their prime than a guy clearly past his and whose body is breaking down. 

Yeah the body breaking down thing I get. 

I do think that if healthy, he'll show out this year. I do not believe that he can't be a top WR still.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:46 PM, theJ said:

If Green shows out this year, i want him back.  

Hogwash.  They kept Dunlap and Atkins when half of this board was convinced one (Carlos) had to go.  They have the money to pay whoever they want to keep, especially with Burrow on a rookie deal. If Green plays well, and so does Higgins, no reason to not make them bookend WRs with Boyd in the slot.  Ross is the odd man out.  If Mixon balls out, he gets his too

20 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Hogwash.  They kept Dunlap and Atkins when half of this board was convinced one (Carlos) had to go.  They have the money to pay whoever they want to keep, especially with Burrow on a rookie deal. If Green plays well, and so does Higgins, no reason to not make them bookend WRs with Boyd in the slot.  Ross is the odd man out.  If Mixon balls out, he gets his too

There's what they can do via the rules of the cap. Then there's Mike brown rules. They're not going to pay them both. 

They've also got Shawn Williams, Kevin Huber, Carl Lawson, William Jackson and a few others to worry about next year. 

3 hours ago, theJ said:

There's what they can do via the rules of the cap. Then there's Mike brown rules. They're not going to pay them both. 

They've also got Shawn Williams, Kevin Huber, Carl Lawson, William Jackson and a few others to worry about next year. 

Mike Brown's rules include keeping core players at key positions.  He paid Carson, Chad, TJ and Rudi all second contracts to keep the core together.  Green, Mixon, and Byd will get the big bucks.  They will fit in Jackson but may lose Lawson in the cap limits.  They won't keep Shawn Williams after paying Bell, and he might not make it this year (similar to Iloka after drafting bates).  Huber shouldn't break the bank, nor should Green.  And when I say that about Green, iI mean that he shouldn't be paid like a top 5 WR,