OP31 Investigative Footballism Files: Aaron Jones Second Contract

MacReady

More I think about this, more I think next season should be his last season.  Throw a 6th round pick or something like that at the position every year and see what sticks. get a nice conveyor belt going and when they hit you get a compensation pick at the end of it.

Would like to see us going back to picking OL around the 4th round every year regardless of whether you need one. Again get a conveyor belt going particularly for IOL. Obviously they wont all be Bakh, Sitton, Lang, Linsley but it seems s nice sweet spot. Sign the best of them to a second deal and let them walk before a third deal. 

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

If someone offers a second round pick for Jones, do you take it?

Yes.  Second round in this draft.

There are enough RB's in the draft that with the extra second, we can fill holes and target the guy that we want.

I get the other side, but if he won't sign a team friendly extension, I'll happily take the second as opposed to worrying about a holdout or letting the contract play out and getting a 4'th or 3'rd in a future year.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:45 PM, Kampfgeist said:

I wonder what impact the current shutdown will have on NFL revenues this season and what affect that will have on 2021 salary cap?  The current thought was NFL revenues are always increasing, the NFL has the new CBA in place and was in a good bargaining place to sign new network deals so the salary cap will be increasing exponentially year over year.  However, if the NFL has to play a shortened schedule or has to play games with fewer fans in attendance, is holding the draft with no fans,  economic downturn causes cities and owners to re-think big money investments into new stadiums in the immediate future or if fewer games means networks pay less on their television rights -- it's quite possible the salary cap decreases (at least in 2021 before rising again).      I think that uncertainty may be a good reason to roll the dice and wait on an extension on Jones.  Paying a back $8-10 mil a season is already a consideration, but it's a worse proposition if the salary cap decreases and that represents an even higher percentage of cap allocation.

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

One thing I’ve wanted to do is a deep dive on teams building their Championship teams.

Same. I've thought about mapping salary cap %'s and contracts in years leading up to, including and shortly after championships (both SB and Conf appearances to widen the dataset to 4 teams per year).

Like:

"75% of teams had offensive players on an average of their 1.9th contract and defensive players on an average of their 1.4th contract"

"60% of teams were paying RBs less than 6% of their cap"

etc.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Same. I've thought about mapping salary cap %'s and contracts in years leading up to, including and shortly after championships (both SB and Conf appearances to widen the dataset to 4 teams per year).

Like:

"75% of teams had offensive players on an average of their 1.9th contract and defensive players on an average of their 1.4th contract"

etc.

I'd like the **** out of that. 

I know for a fact that you would see undeniable trends that even the most stubborn people wouldn't be able to ignore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Like:

Want a short cut ? Drop 15 bucks on this tome
OTC's Zach Moore wrote an entire book about it

CAPONOMICS-ZACK-MOORE2-232x300.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Cliff notes:
Draft OGs, ILBs and WRs early
Always pay RBs,
DL doesn't matter
You can find cheap and effective QBs on every corner

Well it took exactly one single line to know that this is full of ****.

Two lines to tell it’s full of horse ****.

Three lines to tell it’s bull*****

And a fourth line to tell there’s a single rose petal on a big hole full of ****, horse **** and bull****.

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Well it took exactly one single line to know that this is full of ****.

Two lines to tell it’s full of horse ****.

Three lines to tell it’s bull*****

And a fourth line to tell there’s a single rose petal on a big hole full of ****, horse **** and bull****.

Friday fun:

A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat grass. The same stuff. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces apple-sized clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is ?"
Jeez,  said Outpost, I don't know

Well, then, how is it that you feel qualified to discuss the nuances of Caponomics when you don't know **** ?"  :D

• Like 1