The Jake Fromm Mock Draft

WindyCity

I thought about looking at some possible options if the Bears decide to draft a QB.
With the news today that Jake Fromm has been really impressing NFL teams I thought I would see what you could do around Jake Fromm.

Why Pace will like Fromm

1. He is smart an accurate
2. Insane leadership and character
3. Undersized and not a huge arm, just like his man crush Brees.
4. If he drives a 2001 Corolla it is a wrap

2[43] WR Laviska Shenault [Colorado] 6'1" 227lbs.

If you draft Jake Fromm you are going to need to the guys around him to be the ones making the plays. Fromm is going to be playing point guard for the scorers. Shenault is a elite once the ball is in his hands. He just needs someone who can get him the ball in stride and at the right time. Shenault's run after the catch and size will negate some of the physical limitations that come with Fromm.

1586884316798.png

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] to the Seattle Seahawks for 2[64], 3[101] and 4[144]

2[64] QB Jake Fromm [Georgia] 6'2" 219lbs.

Fromm has his limitations. He is not a top athlete and he does not have a rocket laser arm. Fromm is a very intelligent, he is accurate, and throws with timing and anticipation. He is a rhythm pocket passer who knows where the ball needs to be and at what time. In a way he is the anti-Mitch Trubisky. He does not have Mitch's tools, but the mental side of the game is far superior. This could be big for players like Cohen and Miller who need the ball on time and in the right spot.

https%3A%2F%2Fbeargoggleson.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F1176889316-850x560.jpeg

3[101] OG Jack Driscoll [Auburn] 6'5" 306lbs.

You are going to have to treat Fromm like the Saints treat Drew Brees, that means that you need to protect inside out and you need to prioritize length and pass blocking over pure power. The Saints have for a long time moved OTs inside to take advantage of their increased length and pass blocking feet. Driscoll can come in and compete at RG and give the Bears more talented options on the OL.

BBZ5HYe.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l=f

4[144] OT Alex Taylor [South Carolina St] 6'8" 310lbs.

You have to protect Fromm, he is not going to make people miss and he needs to operate in as clean a pocket as possible. That means the Bears need competition and development at OT. Massie and Leno are average players and the Bears have no one behind them. Taylor has all the tools in the world, but he is raw as a former basketball player. He may need a year, but he gives the Bears a potential athletic LT of the future.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT70d-WFcd6gxwRrSrHjK5_2leB7JH_B7PEzhhPpvL99U-mZWNE&usqp=CAU

5[163] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs.

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg?itok=WYcLyVKB

6[196] OLB Jonathan Garvin [Miami] 6'4" 265lbs.

The Bears need someone who can develop at OLB and who can provide some rotational pass rush and give Mack and Quinn a blow. Garvin has the size and power that the Bears do not have with Mingo and Irving. At a minimum he can be a year long developmental project.

gettyimages-1075422064-594x594.jpg

6[202] LB Jacob Phillips [LSU] 6'2" 228lbs.

Phillips is an athletic LB, from a dominant defense, who at a minimum should come and and be a core special teams player and provide depth at ILB. The truth is that Iggy kind of sucks, he offers nothing on defense and his special teams contribution is over rated. The Bears need some more options on the interior after Nick K and KPL left.

5d74abb4d2c4c.image.jpg

7[226] OT Terrence Steele [Texas Tech] 6'6" 312lbs.

By adding two big athletic OTs the hope is that the Bears can come away with 1 long term starter. Steele has the size, 35" arms and ability to play NFL OT. He needs a ton of technique work, but the Bears have time and a coach they are pumping up, so maybe they can make him into something.

gz4hkzrm5wh4moszu6gx

7[233] RB Reggie Corbin [Illinois] 5'10" 200lbs.

This was a surprising non-combine invite and someone that Shane Toub worked with at Illinois. Corbin would add some speed to the backfield, with better size than Cohen, he could take over as RB2 and someone who can take some carries away from Montgomery and keep the Bears from grinding him into the ground. Corbin has the long speed that Montgomery does not.

USATSI_11589194-718x490.jpg
Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Would make for another nice draft. Fromm is clearly a decent player, and talented enough he does have a shot. Could end being a Bernie Kosar type starter. I'd personally rather they'd gamble on Eason if they're looking for a project guy, but we know they interviewed Fromm, so they most likely do have interest in him. 

There's a Catch-22 to your mock, though--if the Bears go into the draft really wanting Fromm, I'm not sure they can take the chance of trading down and still being able to get him...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Would make for another nice draft. Fromm is clearly a decent player, and talented enough he does have a shot. Could end being a Bernie Kosar type starter. I'd personally rather they'd gamble on Eason if they're looking for a project guy, but we know they interviewed Fromm, so they most likely do have interest in him. 

There's a Catch-22 to your mock, though--if the Bears go into the draft really wanting Fromm, I'm not sure they can take the chance of trading down and still being able to get him...

If he goes higher than that I would be floored.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Shenault is going to be on their radar.

I'd imagine he has to be.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I just can't love any mock with Shenault and Fromm, despite me liking the rest.

What don't you like about him? Or do you simply think #43 is too high? 

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd imagine he has to be.

What don't you like about him? Or do you simply think #43 is too high? 

I think he's a RB playing as WR, and in theory that sounds good, but he's almost too physical for me. As I told Windy in another thread, he quite literally seeks out punishment. It's possible he can change, but he's likely been playing this way forever. I don't think someone his size will be able to sustain the beating that awaits him in the NFL only because of the way he plays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think he's a RB playing as WR, and in theory that sounds good, but he's almost too physical for me. As I told Windy in another thread, he quite literally seeks out punishment. It's possible he can change, but he's likely been playing this way forever. I don't think someone his size will be able to sustain the beating that awaits him in the NFL only because of the way he plays.

Damn, that's right. I forgot that conversation. At least with the Bears he'd be a rotational guy. Which, granted, would mean he'd be kind of expensive (draft wise), but Pace's hands are sort of tied right now. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If he goes higher than that I would be floored.

Jim Nagy said today that he thinks Fromm is worthy of a 1st rounder & he thinks a team could come back into the 1st near the end for him

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Shenault is going to be on their radar.

I think he will be, also. I just hope he's too far down their board and someone above him is there at 43

Fromm is the anti Mitch in that he is instinctive but has very limited physical talents...I'm not sure he ever wins you enough games...won't lose you them...but just isn't special...we already have Foles who is exactly that so I would pass...

3 OL would be overkill IMO...

Would love to see Laviska as a Bear but we would only get the best of him for 10-12 games a year for the next 5 years before he broke down unless he changes his playing style...Marion Barber III of WRs.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Tomorrow's installment of the QB mock draft series.

The Flyin Hawaiian lands in Lake Forest

#pineappleconviction

Please tell me he trades the next two 1's and 43 and 50 this year to go up for Tua (or I'm over thinking it and you have them taking Cole McDonald :) )

I like Shenault but I do share the concerns about overphysicality. He is almost another Patterson - not a bad thing but we also already have that. 

Jake Fromm State Farm is a guy I could get excited about. A rhythm and timing point guard is exactly what we need. If we do that we will need playmakers and quick hitters so Shenault makes sense. I trust your expertise on the mid round OL. Interesting insight on the NoLa comp too.

One guy to look out for late is Mo Barry at ILB. We may end up settling for a vet in FA but we need competition with Iggy and Woods. Do you think we get 32 starts out of Ro & DT?

• Like 1