Seahawks sign G Mike Iupati

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Worst O-Line in the NFL HERE WE COME (get out of the way Jets and Dolphins). 
I'm joking but the plan of signing lot of cheap O-linemen when this is a super strong draft for OL in general makes me scratch my head...

Seahawks gunna Seahawks. One good left tackle and that is IT.

4 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Worst O-Line in the NFL HERE WE COME (get out of the way Jets and Dolphins). 
I'm joking but the plan of signing lot of cheap O-linemen when this is a super strong draft for OL in general makes me scratch my head...

Could be Seattle is hedging their bets? Maybe they are thinking there will be a huge rush on iOL and OT leaving a lot of value picks to be had at other positions? IDK, just spit balling. 

In the PCJS era, drafting OL has been...…. a mixed bag to say the least. [Excluding dudes that never played ; Junior Senior, Ryan Seymour, Terry Poole).

Russell Okung - Great when healthy (never really was)

James Carpenter - Never graded well (I think) but was a key piece for Seattle for a bit

John Moffit - Huge dud

JR Sweezy - Great value when considering draft position (7th round) and starts. Again never graded well (pass blocking was ugh).

Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey where just roster fillers.

Gary Gilliam - Great value (UDFA to starting RT) but kinda ugh to blah as a starter.

Mark Glowinski - Absolute dud while in Seattle. Guess he was fine in Indy for a bit.

Justin Britt - Never caught on at RT, was / has been a average to above average center

Germaine Ifedi - Atrocious often, annoying at his best.

Rees Odhiambo - Pretty awful all around

Joey Hunt - Serviceable back up I guess.

Ethan Pocic - Dud , all promise, no follow-through. Cable's leftover baggage at this point. 

Phil Haynes + Jamarco Jones are unknowns at this point.

Could be why in the Solari years thus far, they have favored older vets? IDK , based on this mess, maybe its good Seattle has relied on FA to fill in the OL. 

18 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Oh, that would be desperation. [Mike Iupati's] pass blocking has been suspect for a while. I think Arizona got weary of the holding calls.  

18 minutes ago, animaltested said:

JR Sweezy - Great value when considering draft position (7th round) and starts. Again never graded well (pass blocking was ugh).

Oh, there is so much irony right here.

Edit: Is it bad that they have an argument for our two highest-performing IOL at any point in the 2010s? I mean, Pugh has been our best, but that's not saying much. Shipley was solid for a bit, but he's like Pugh and Iupati where they just didn't/haven't seen the field very much due to injury. Shipley's also not very good against any sort of power, which is kind of a death knell when he's been playing against Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Jarran Reed, and Michael Bennet rushing from the interior two times a year at various points of the last half-decade.

Edited by HoboRocket

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

True, but at least against the 9ers, the refs let the Seahawks hold. So, the line is MUCH better. 9_9

It is crazy how the refs have formed an alliance with the Seahawks only in games against the 49ers. You should report this to the league office so a thorough, justified investigation can be ran. 

6 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

It is crazy how the refs have formed an alliance with the Seahawks only in games against the 49ers. You should report this to the league office so a thorough, justified investigation can be ran. 

Crazy, huh? Except not really. In the last game, they were called for holding maybe once? Yet previous to that last game vs the 9ers they had 27 holding calls. They held often last season, just didn’t get called much against one of the better DLines. Go figure?!

18 hours ago, animaltested said:

Could be Seattle is hedging their bets? Maybe they are thinking there will be a huge rush on iOL and OT leaving a lot of value picks to be had at other positions? IDK, just spit balling. 

In the PCJS era, drafting OL has been...…. a mixed bag to say the least. [Excluding dudes that never played ; Junior Senior, Ryan Seymour, Terry Poole).

Russell Okung - Great when healthy (never really was)

James Carpenter - Never graded well (I think) but was a key piece for Seattle for a bit

John Moffit - Huge dud

Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey where just roster fillers.

Gary Gilliam - Great value (UDFA to starting RT) but kinda ugh to blah as a starter.

Mark Glowinski - Absolute dud while in Seattle. Guess he was fine in Indy for a bit.

Justin Britt - Never caught on at RT, was / has been a average to above average center

Germaine Ifedi - Atrocious often, annoying at his best.

Rees Odhiambo - Pretty awful all around

Joey Hunt - Serviceable back up I guess.

Ethan Pocic - Dud , all promise, no follow-through. Cable's leftover baggage at this point. 

Phil Haynes + Jamarco Jones are unknowns at this point.

Could be why in the Solari years thus far, they have favored older vets? IDK , based on this mess, maybe its good Seattle has relied on FA to fill in the OL. 

Great summary! The Ifedi bit is golden :) 
Maybe you're onto something here. Their drafting of OL has been abysmal. But still, apart from D. Brown even the vets they signed/traded for in the past weren't anything to write home about. You'd think that having a TOP3 QB in the NFL would make the team want to draft/sign good linemen to see what Wilson could do with a cleaner pocket, and with more time to throw. 

13 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Crazy, huh? Except not really. In the last game, they were called for holding maybe once? Yet previous to that last game vs the 9ers they had 27 holding calls. They held often last season, just didn’t get called much against one of the better DLines. Go figure?!

Totally. 

Always Sunny Pepe Silvia GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

13 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Seattle's defense finished the season with 6 straight games of not drawing a offensive holding penalty.

ERGO, by your logic, all six teams offensive lines ; Rams, Cardinals, 49ers, Panthers, Eagles, and Packers were given preferential treatment. But I'm guessing you'll chalk that up to talent and execution in avoiding holding right? Fits the narrative better.