Mayock Pre-Draft Press Conference

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Dillion and Moss will be solid sturdy lunch pal RBs, but don’t have that juice Gibson has in him. 

True, but Gibson can’t replace Jacobs if he goes out for 1-2 games and carry the ball 15-20+ times effectively within the normal offense.  Dillon and Moss can take a few carries of Jacobs player every game and start if needed, without major game plan and play calling changes.  

Akers on the other hand can do everything.  If it’s possible I’d rather give up a 4/5th round pick to move up from 80/81 and get Akers.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:19 PM, Justwinning said:

Also mentioned that he thinks a WR1 can be found in round 3 this year.

He could have also meant that there are guys in round 3 who will eventually become starters... which happens every year but will certainly have better quality WRs and more of them this year.

he could be thinking grab a WR at 12/19 and double up at 80, where we can find a guy to start come year 2.

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mayock didn’t say you can find a WR1 in this years class in the 3rd. He just said it’s been done before.

Like I also posted just a moment ago... people are incorrectly thinking he meant he can wait til 80 and get a guy who will start opposite Williams.  Noooo that’s not what he said or meant/implied.  He said it’s been done before and one can imply with the depth this year it’s an option to double up on a WR in round 3 that will eventually become a starter, but not day 1.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gibson best football is ahead of him, I try to project in the future not based off of college. Moas might have already peaked with all those touches 

Yeah moss prolly is who is is.  One reason he’s a fall back option for me.  But that doesn’t change who Gibson is.  He’s still not a player I think can ever effectively carry the ball 20x.  He’ll be useful on gadget plays, taking a few carries of Jacobs plate per game, and schemed plays which utilize his speed to get a big play here and there.
i just don’t see a player capable of ever being a starting RB or carrying the load of Jacobs is out.  If you can’t carry the load your not a true RB2 imo.  Your a high end RB3.  Gibson might be find moderate success for a few years But I just don’t see his value to us above other players like Akers, Moss, Dillon.

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

You sleeping on Gibson JK .. Look at Gibson size, he’s a physical specimen. I think he could hold up with an increase workload. He isn’t one of those midget backs 

It’s not just a matter of size, it’s about the ability to effectively carry the load within an offense when the starter goes out and not have to improvise play calling.  Despite his 6’0,228 frame he IMO isn’t going to be a grinder in between the tackles.  

btw I don’t not like Gibson, I’m just saying he might not be the rb for us.  He’d prolly be better served alongside a big powerful but slower Rb with no pass catching like Henry. 

Edited by jimkelly02

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Trust me I’m an Akers guy. But if he off the board I’m all over Gibson. Sure he be coming in raw but he has those traits, and was a baller in college. I just feel like he was misused in college and will explode in the NFL. I see David Johnson type of steal

But Johnson did have a ton of production in colleges, it was just a small school and that kept him from going higher.

I think Gibson is actually a substantially better prospect then fellow Memphis RB/WR Tony Pollard.  And I agree with ur points of Dillon and Moss high carries on college limiting their long term nfl potential.  I just don’t think there’s a good come back with Gibson to the devil’s advocate question of: If Jacobs goes out can he come in and start, carry even a slighly reduce load, and not force major play calling ChangEs within the offense.

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Jacobs is a beast no doubt, but not sure why Gruden didn’t use him in the pass game. Killed me in fantasy last year 

I think early in the year we just knew he was going to get a lot of carries Throughout and we’re attempting to not add the load of being a receiver too.  Plus We have a very good receiving back in Richard.  Then when the injuries started and he was playing thru them we could phase him into the passing game.  I think the plan was to start with Richard and phase Jacobs in by game 6ish.

29 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

You sleeping on Gibson JK .. Look at Gibson size, he’s a physical specimen. I think he could hold up with an increase workload. He isn’t one of those midget backs 

Gibson is a physical specimen. I just wouldn't feel great about going into the season with my RB2 having only 33 career carries in college.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would take the risk of Gibson in the 3rd, could be one of the steals of the draft. I guess for insurance, sign a cheap vet like Alex Collins. Go into the season with 3-4 backs. If Gibson balls out, cut the cheap vet 

I'd take Gibson in the 3rd and still take Moss in the 4th if he's there. Carry Gibson as the 6th WR, play him in the slot, out of the backfield, and as a returner. And then cut Richard in 2021 and have him replace him as our 3rd down back. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Only 5 of the top 20 WR's last season in terms of receiving yards were former first round picks. Only 7 rookie WR's put up 600+ yards last season, all 7 were drafted in the 2nd round or later. Of the 17 WR's drafted in the first round over the last 5 years, only 4 of them had 1,000+ yards last year with those 4 being Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Mike Williams, and DJ Moore. 

Sure although you have to look at them as prospects as well. I would take Lamb as a prospect over almost everyone drafted at WR in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Like I also posted just a moment ago... people are incorrectly thinking he meant he can wait til 80 and get a guy who will start opposite Williams.  Noooo that’s not what he said or meant/implied.  He said it’s been done before and one can imply with the depth this year it’s an option to double up on a WR in round 3 that will eventually become a starter, but not day 1.

EXACTLY.

IMO we will take a round 1 player and then groom a future starter from a mid round pick, as he might have been referring to Tyrell's future salary.