Draft Busts

HeydudemanG

2 hours ago, massraider said:

Pittman.

Why did this physical freak take so long to bust out? 

Michael Pittman Jr?

I don’t think he’s even been labeled as a physical freak, at least by those who have watched him play. He had an amazing year this year but he’s put up good numbers since he was a sophomore in what’s always a fairy crowded USC pass catching field. 

If you think MPJ will bust that’s your opinion but it won’t be because he was a late bloomer or relied on his physical attributes. 

He hasn't had a 50 catch season in the NFL yet. Meanwhile, guys like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, and Kenny Golladay (all selected after the 60th overall pick) have each put up 2 50+ catch seasons. 

He was at like 48 last season so its been close. I am not arguing that those guys were not far better values (That draft produced some insane WR talent). But that he is a bust based on draft position rather than on field play. He shouldnt be in the same conversation as the other Mike Williams or Treadwell IMO. 

I think with Higgins, he needs to land with a team that can play to his skill-set. He's not quick or explosive, but he can separate late vertically and does have a big catching radius. So ideally he lands somewhere where they can make use of his vertical long speed and/or with a quarterback who is happy to throw it up where the window might be a little tighter. Kind of reminds me of those long striding receivers who used to thrive with Rivers and Norv in San Diego, (Jackson, Floyd etc). 

22 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think with Higgins, he needs to land with a team that can play to his skill-set. He's not quick or explosive, but he can separate late vertically and does have a big catching radius. So ideally he lands somewhere where they can make use of his vertical long speed and/or with a quarterback who is happy to throw it up where the window might be a little tighter. Kind of reminds me of those long striding receivers who used to thrive with Rivers and Norv in San Diego, (Jackson, Floyd etc). 

Colts with their two picks in the first half of the second round could be a potential landing spot. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Colts with their two picks in the first half of the second round could be a potential landing spot. 

Maybe, they have been looking for catch and run receivers of late. Team I kept coming back to was the Bills - Allen can toss it deep and Higgins eliminates some of his accuracy issues with his catching radius. Plus the running game and Allen's feet should open up some space vertically for him on those shock plays. 

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Maybe, they have been looking for catch and run receivers of late. Team I kept coming back to was the Bills - Allen can toss it deep and Higgins eliminates some of his accuracy issues with his catching radius. Plus the running game and Allen's feet should open up some space vertically for him on those shock plays. 

Not great at pro-comparisons, I could see Devante Parker-esque career path - where he's had his most productive period playing with a total gun slinger type QB. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Tee Higgins is the best WR in this class.  I'm surprised people are actually doubting his ability.

To me, it's going to depend on his situation. I'm not as high on him as you, as I think his ceiling is a #2, but a potentially a great #2. 

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I would love to see Tee Higgins on the Bills with Josh Allen.  He's the exact type of WR he needs.  A guy with a huge catch radius that can make contested catches. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

He hasn't had a 50 catch season in the NFL yet. Meanwhile, guys like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, and Kenny Golladay (all selected after the 60th overall pick) have each put up 2 50+ catch seasons. 

I mean considering his rookie season was lost to injury. It was safe to say his sophmore campaign was closer to his debut season. Also of these guys you just listed who has hit 1k Yards receiving on less than 50 catches? Mind you this was with the dilapidated corpse of Philip Rivers.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

That's a good fit. 

I like Higgins a lot more if he's a late 2nd rounder than a late 1st rounder. 

Maybe he wasn't a late 1st, ever, and the rest of us are catching up the NFL front offices.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Tee Higgins is the best WR in this class.  I'm surprised people are actually doubting his ability.

If he could run routes intermediate routes at decent level I would agree. You just really have to like this guys game. He just needs to be better running other routes besides a 9 or a slant, which would take him from a pretty good #2, to a dominant pass catcher. Although that 4.43 speed never shows up on tape, i believe he's a marginal athlete at best. For a jump ball guy, reportedly only hitting 31" on his vertical is bad.