Draft Busts

HeydudemanG

On 4/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, VanS said:

You can be prisoner of the moment based on current events.  I look at the bigger picture.  I rate players based on talent and skill not how much production they put up the previous season.

Odell and AB might not have been as productive Hopkins and Thomas lately but they are better football players.  WR is a dependant position.  So for a guy like Odell, playing with sub-par QB play his entire career has supressed his production.  Put him in New Orleans with a genius like Sean Payton or in Houston with a great QB like Deshaun Watson and I guarantee you that he dwarfs Thomas and Hopkins when it comes to production.  

With regard to Tyreek Hill, his team just won the Super Bowl in particular thanks to him making the biggest play of the game on that critical 3rd and long.  Sure he's one dimensional.  But that one dimension is incredibly.  Give me his ability to stretch the field and make defenders miss over anything Hopkins and Thomas can do.  His strengths are simply more valuable.  

Hopkins put up all-pro numbers with QBs like Tom Savage, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, TJ Yates, Ryan Mallett, and Brandon Weeden throwing to him.

Edited by BroncoSojia
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Hopkins put up all-pro numbers with QBs like Tom Savage, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, TJ Yates, Ryan Mallett, and Brandon Weeden throwing to him.

Odell rewrote the record book for WR production to start a career with a broken down Eli Manning.  I never claimed DeAndre Hopkins wasn't also great.  Just that Odell is better.  Put him in Hopkins spot and he outproduces him.

Chase Young will bust in a 4-3.

I see a lot of Clay Matthews in his game and he will explode as a 3-4 LB. However, If the skin's play him as a 4-3 DE he won't do anything.  He needs to work on having more pass rush moves and being able to bend if he plays at DE 

Edited by sshle_

13 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

Chase Young will bust in a 4-3.

I see a lot of Clay Matthews in his game and he will explode as a 3-4 LB. However, If the skin's play him as a 4-3 DE he won't do anything.  He needs to work on having more pass rush moves and being able to bend if he plays at DE 

Is this guy VanS burner account? Or little brother or something?

• Like 4

On 4/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, MikeT14 said:

I'm of the notion that defenses will figure him out a little bit better as time goes on.

Well if you are giving other teams the benefit of being able to figure out Lamar shouldn't you equally give Lamar the opportunity to improve to stay ahead of the curve? 

The improvement he made from year one to year two was outrageous so why can't he get even better? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

“Special” little brother. Simple Jack special, not Rain Man. 

I mean I wouldn’t go that far. I like having varying opinions regardless how outrageous. Makes this fun. I do like to call them out though. We will stick to Rain man until he is wrong. Then switch to simple jack.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:04 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I don’t think you’re familiar with the success of WR’s that aren’t 6’3 and run a 4.3. Your criteria for a great WR prospect is hilarious. You can’t knock Jeudy and Lamb for not being fast enough and then knock Ruggs for his route running despite his freak speed. I have no idea what you expect a WR to be. 

You are literally the only person in the world that holds this viewpoint. You are aware of that, right? Like, literally nobody thinks Young is an unathletic stiff pass rusher. 

I'll give him N'Keal Harry. His perfect WR!! Who would belong in this post if it was 2019.

• 8 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 1:07 AM, VanS said:

QB Joe Burrow (LSU)

DE Chase Young (Ohio St.)

WR Jerry Jeudy (Alabama)

WR CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma)

WR Henry Ruggs III (Alabama)

QB Justin Herbert (Oregon)

QB Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama)

QB Jordan Love (Utah St.)

CB A.J. Terrell (Clemson)

As you can see I don't think much of this draft class at the top of the 1st round.

Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

3 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

Only guys you highlighted that might even make me think twice now are CeeDee Lamb and Henry Ruggs.  They can be solid WRs if they stay healthy.

I'm sticking with everything else though. I still expect Burrow, Young, and Herbert to be universally viewed as busts when their rookie contracts expire.  

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Only guys you highlighted that might even make me think twice now are CeeDee Lamb and Henry Ruggs.  They can be solid WRs if they stay healthy.

I'm sticking with everything else though. I still expect Burrow, Young, and Herbert to be universally viewed as busts when their rookie contracts expire.  

Didn't Herbert have one of the best rookie QB years ever?  Can you ever admit you were wrong?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VanS said:

You're still thinking Chase Young will be a bust? And Herbert too? Plus Burrow? 
Did you watched them at all this year or you're just rehearsing your opinions from last year?
I don't know how you could have watched Chase Young this year and not think he's going to be above-average, AT LEAST.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't Herbert have one of the best rookie QB years ever?  Can you ever admit you were wrong?

Mariota also had a great rookie season.  Look where he is now.

One season of great stats (especially as a rookie before teams have a beat on you) doesn't move me.  Especially when I'm not impressed by the player when I watch him play. 

20 hours ago, MagicMT said:

You're still thinking Chase Young will be a bust? And Herbert too? Plus Burrow? 
Did you watched them at all this year or you're just rehearsing your opinions from last year?
I don't know how you could have watched Chase Young this year and not think he's going to be above-average, AT LEAST.

Oh I watched all of them.  Especially Young.  I saw nothing to make me change my pre-draft views.

For the record, when I say bust its in relation to draft position and hype.  So take Leonard Williams for example.  He was drafted 6th overall in 2015 and was hyped as arguably the best player in that draft.  He's had a decent career thus far as a solid starter.  But he's made only 1 Pro Bowl and has been nowhere close to living up to his draft position or pre-draft hype.  To me he's a bust given the hype despite still being a solid starter.

Don't forget Chase Young was hyped as a generational pass rusher in the same class as Myles Garrett.  That hype helped him get selected as a Pro Bowler in his rookie year despite mediocre production (7.5 sacks).  For reference sake, just last year Raiders 4th round rookie Maxx Crosby had 10.0 sacks and didn't come close to making the Pro Bowl.  If Chase Young is just a solid starter in 4-5 years with only 1 Pro Bowl selection like Leonard Williams rather than a superstar like say Myles Garrett then he would be a bust in my eyes.

Edited by VanS