Draft Busts

HeydudemanG

19 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah but “he’s got the best track of anybody in the media” and “nobody in the media has been better at projecting players”. So if he says Young is special, he must be special.

That statement was directed more at when he goes against the consensus versus when he's followed the herd.  That's why the top examples I gave were him picking Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen as his top QBs in the 2018 draft when everyone else had Sam Darnold and in 2017 when he had Patrick Mahomes as the top QB when everyone else had Trubisky or Watson.  I didn't really cite examples of him liking the same people everyone else did before the draft.

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I believe the main issue he has with Jeudy is the lack of elite physical tools, but honestly, I haven't been following his takes on the receiver class all that much. 

He's not wrong about the lack so "elite" physical traits, though I think Jeudy profiles similar to Stefon Diggs, from both a physical standpoint and the route runner standpoint, so while he may not have the physical upside to be an elite #1 like Julio / Megatron, Diggs is a top what, 15 wide receiver? 20? I think that's plenty enough potential. 

Diggs went in the 5th round.  Jeudy is being projected as a top 15 pick.

If Jeudy was being projected as a 5th round pick I would love him.  How much I like or don't like a prospect is proportional to where they are being projected and where I believe they should go.

1 minute ago, VanS said:

Diggs went in the 5th round.  Jeudy is being projected as a top 15 pick.

The draft slotting of diggs is completely irrelevant. If diggs had been a top 15 pick, that would have still been a good pick

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

He doesn’t like Ruggs either who has elite physical tools. Maybe not height and body weight? Antonio Callaway was 5’11 too. But Ruggs has a 40 inch vert and over 10 inch hands. 

I'm a tape guy first and foremost.  Just cause you're fast doesn't mean I'll like you.

Ruggs tape just never impressed me.  Of all the receivers at Alabama the most impressive was Jalen Waddle.  I can see him being a star in the NFL.  Never saw stardom in Jeudy or Ruggs. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The draft slotting of diggs is completely irrelevant. If diggs had been a top 15 pick, that would have still been a good pick

True.  I actually liked Diggs in 2015 and was shocked he fell so low.  I would just disagree with Diggs and Jeudy being comprable.  One of the main reasons I liked Diggs was because he was so explosive.   Jeudy doesn't have that sort of explosiveness.

Edited by VanS
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Knowing what we know now Diggs wouldn’t be a 5th round pick. He’d be jostling with Amari Cooper to be the first WR drafted and likely a top 15 pick. 

Largely because the 2015 draft was so weak.  In 2014 Diggs wouldn't go so high given how much stronger that draft was.

39 minutes ago, VanS said:

That statement was directed more at when he goes against the consensus versus when he's followed the herd.  That's why the top examples I gave were him picking Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen as his top QBs in the 2018 draft when everyone else had Sam Darnold and in 2017 when he had Patrick Mahomes as the top QB when everyone else had Trubisky or Watson.  I didn't really cite examples of him liking the same people everyone else did before the draft.

It’s pretty much too early to say who the best QB from 2018 is. The only thing we can conclusively say is that anyone who has Josh Rosen as their top guy got it wrong.

Lamar has shown the highest ceiling of the 5, so will be interesting to see if he keeps it up.

Mayfield and Darnold both some good and some bad but their teams will be cautiously optimistic about their futures.

Josh Allen is a weird one because he was the most boom/bust guy pre-draft but I feel like he’s the one we know the most about now. He’s probably going to be a middling NFL QB for his whole career.

Rosen is a bust.

2017 I seem to remember the media not really being all that high on any of the QBs. They liked Watson the most of the 3 but weren’t really advocating selling the farm for any of them. 

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Zack Moss? What?

I don't see any of the top 5 RBs busing (Swift, Taylor, CEH, Dobbins, Akers) so had to pick another RB.  If Moss is a day 2 selection and asked to be a workhorse I think he has a decent probability of busting in that role due to his lack of explosion.

Fun to look back in retrospect
RBs

Rashaad Penny with top 10 grade and Curtis Martin comp

Mark Walton - 1st round

John Kelly - 1st round

WRs

Callaway - top 5 grade

ESB - 1st round grade

Cedrick Wilson - 1st round grade

Sutton, Ridley, and Chark all the way down at WR13-WR15

OL

QNelson as 2nd ranked IOL

McGlinchey with a 3rd round grade

Edge

Arden Key - top 10 grade

DL

Tim Settle - top 10 grade

LB

Tremaine Edmunds - LB6 and 2nd round grade

CB

Brandon Facyson - top 10 grade

Denzel Ward - CB7 and 2nd round grade

SUMMARY - you just throw out a million hot takes and when 1 out of 100 inevitably hits you constantly bring it up and ignore the other 99 awful takes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Fun to look back in retrospect
RBs

Rashaad Penny with top 10 grade and Curtis Martin comp

Mark Walton - 1st round

John Kelly - 1st round

WRs

Callaway - top 5 grade

ESB - 1st round grade

Cedrick Wilson - 1st round grade

Sutton, Ridley, and Chark all the way down at WR13-WR15

OL

QNelson as 2nd ranked IOL

McGlinchey with a 3rd round grade

Edge

Arden Key - top 10 grade

DL

Tim Settle - top 10 grade

LB

Tremaine Edmunds - LB6 and 2nd round grade

CB

Brandon Facyson - top 10 grade

Denzel Ward - CB7 and 2nd round grade

SUMMARY - you just throw out a million hot takes and when 1 out of 100 inevitably hits you constantly bring it up and ignore the other 99 awful takes

Who the actual is Tim Settle, John Kelly and Brandon Facyson?

John Kelly isn't a running back's name. It's an 1800's rancher's name.

Edited by Hunter2_1