Dooms day at 17

couchscout

I fully expect the “big 4” at the Tackle position and the top 3 QBs to be gone at pick 17 ...

If not obviously the phone should be ringing and a trade should be available as someone comes up to fill a need at the most valued positions in football

If the board falls as I expect 9 players who the Cowboys should be interested in selecting 

Edge Young or Chassion

DT Brown and Kinlaw

Corner Okudah and Henderson

WR Jeudy Lamb and Ruggs

If the board falls this way and everyone you want is gone at 17 and with no obvious value a trade does not appear who is the pick at 17?

Edited by couchscout

2 hours ago, couchscout said:

I fully expect the “big 4” at the Tackle position and the top 3 QBs to be gone at pick 17 ...

If not obviously the phone should be ringing and a trade should be available as someone comes up to fill a need at the most valued positions in football

If the board falls as I expect 9 players who the Cowboys should be interested in selecting 

Edge Young or Chassion

DT Brown and Kinlaw

WR Jeudy Lamb and Ruggs

If the board falls this way and everyone you want is gone at 17 and with no obvious value a trade does not appear who is the pick at 17?

I draft Isaiah Simmons the moment I get on the clock and laugh that the third best player in the entire draft fell to 17.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m very confused by this premise.

Let me simplify my rambling 

worst case scenario the following have been selected

The four tackles-Wirfs, Thomas, Benton, and Wills

Top 3 QBs Tua, Burrow, and Herbert

Edge Young or Chassion

DT Brown and Kinlaw

WR Jeudy Lamb and Ruggs

in this scenario Dallas has been wiped out the possibilities of a trade would be way less with the QBs and Tackles gone...

so gun to your head who do you take???

29 minutes ago, couchscout said:

Let me simplify my rambling 

worst case scenario the following have been selected

The four tackles-Wirfs, Thomas, Benton, and Wills

Top 3 QBs Tua, Burrow, and Herbert

Edge Young or Chassion

DT Brown and Kinlaw

WR Jeudy Lamb and Ruggs

in this scenario Dallas has been wiped out the possibilities of a trade would be way less with the QBs and Tackles gone...

so gun to your head who do you take???

Again, we take Isaiah Simmons and laugh our way to the bank because the third best player in the entire draft fell to 17.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Again, we take Isaiah Simmons and laugh our way to the bank because the third best player in the entire draft fell to 17.

Yeah, this is correct. It's also why I just feel really good about where we sit at the draft.

• One of our top targets is likely to be available.
  • If not, the last top tier OT or QB is likely to be available, in which case we'd probably have a good trade offer
  • And if neither of those things happen, we'd have a total stud sitting there we never would have expected

And watch us screw it up by drafting Diggs, Murray, or McKinney at #17 anyway. 

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, this is correct. It's also why I just feel really good about where we sit at the draft.

• One of our top targets is likely to be available.
  • If not, the last top tier OT or QB is likely to be available, in which case we'd probably have a good trade offer
  • And if neither of those things happen, we'd have a total stud sitting there we never would have expected

And watch us screw it up by drafting Diggs, Murray, or McKinney at #17 anyway. 

I wish that I could disagree with the part in bold, but I can't. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The guy gave a scenario of 16 players off the board. If Simmons was taken as well, one of the other players he mentioned would have to be available.

We also know that there will be a "surprise" pick or two. Every year, a few teams take players higher than anticipated, and other players who were expected to be drafted high fall.

• Like 2