• Marlon Davidson [ DL ] Auburn
    • Neville Gallimore [ IDL ] Oklahoma
    • Tee Higgins [ WR ] Clemson
    • Trevon Diggs [ CB ] Alabama
    • Xavier McKinney [ S ] Alabama
    • Other (Please State)
    • [Leave Blank]

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/16/2020 at 05:54 AM

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But the WR trend has to be broken at some point, no?

And it's not like Mims and Reagor are scrubs. I think they're great value here and can both be perennial 1000 yard guys.

Probably.  But I'd imagine that changes when the Packers' FO comes from a different tree.  This dates back to Ron Wolf.  Ted Thompson worked under Ron Wolf, and Brian Gutekunst worked under Ted Thompson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I have Mims and Reagor graded out MUCH higher than Jackson. Both have top 20 WR potential for me and have high floors too. Jackson is nowhere near as much of a sure thing IMO. Hence pull the trigger based on how the board falls.

Humor me for a second.  If you've got Austin Jackson and Mims/Reagor graded out similarly, who do you take?  Austin Jackson has his own issues he's got to answer in the sense that he doesn't fit the standard Packers' threshold for OL.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Humor me for a second.  If you've got Austin Jackson and Mims/Reagor graded out similarly, who do you take?  Austin Jackson has his own issues he's got to answer in the sense that he doesn't fit the standard Packers' threshold for OL.

Sure, if you had them graded out similarly I'd be inclined to take the OT. Just like I'd be inclined to take an edge rusher over an offensive guard in a vacuum. 

I understand the positional value argument for sure. I also think rules and trends are meant to be broken and having the flexibility to do so can pay big dividends.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure, if you had them graded out similarly I'd be inclined to take the OT. Just like I'd be inclined to take an edge rusher over an offensive guard in a vacuum. 

I understand the positional value argument for sure. I also think rules and trends are meant to be broken and having the flexibility to do so can pay big dividends.

I would agree that trends end up being broken, but it's usually when there's a tier discrepancy.  Going back to the entire time that the Packers have been led by either TT or Gute, they've only ONCE drafted a non-premium in the first round.  And that was when they selected AJ Hawk 5th overall in 2006.  IIRC, he and Vernon Davis were viewed as the BPA at the time, and given that the Packers played in a 4-3 defense at the time a WILL LB would offer more value than a TE.  If the Packers stuck purely to the positional value principle, they probably would have taken Michael Huff who I believe was routinely mocked to Green Bay.  The Packers have made 15 picks in the first round, but only one of them was a non-premium.  Is there a team with history like that?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree that trends end up being broken, but it's usually when there's a tier discrepancy.  Going back to the entire time that the Packers have been led by either TT or Gute, they've only ONCE drafted a non-premium in the first round.  And that was when they selected AJ Hawk 5th overall in 2006.  IIRC, he and Vernon Davis were viewed as the BPA at the time, and given that the Packers played in a 4-3 defense at the time a WILL LB would offer more value than a TE.  If the Packers stuck purely to the positional value principle, they probably would have taken Michael Huff who I believe was routinely mocked to Green Bay.  The Packers have made 15 picks in the first round, but only one of them was a non-premium.  Is there a team with history like that?

Off the top of my head I'm not sure. Who would you take in this scenario?

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think the Packers would take someone as polished as Justin Jefferson, but not Mims. I’d expect Austin Jackson here if Jefferson is gone. Or just whatever OL/DL BPA is on the Packer board. One of your classic trench teams like the Eagles. 

Everyone keeps saying Austin Jackson but I'm more than willing to bet the house the Packers prefer Ezra Cleveland to Austin Jackson. Another guy that's kind of out of left field to consider here is Ben Bartch.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Everyone keeps saying Austin Jackson but I'm more than willing to bet the house the Packers prefer Ezra Cleveland to Austin Jackson. Another guy that's kind of out of left field to consider here is Ben Bartch.

Love Bartch. I think Cleveland has been kinda propped up by analytic sites like PFF, although he’s not bad. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Love Bartch. I think Cleveland has been kinda propped up by analytic sites like PFF, although he’s not bad. 

Well, I'm just saying based on Cleveland's athletic profile, he fits 100% with the Packers. I wish we had Bartch's RAS numbers.

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cleveland should be well loved by Minnesota, Cleveland and San Francisco. He projects well in this blocking schemes. He moves very well. 

He's gives me some Brian o'Neill / Kolton Miller vibes though.  I think he's going to be bad in year one

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Ah yes...let's use an argument that you and I both know don't stand up.  The Packers have drafted Jaire Alexander, Kenny Clark, Bryan Bulaga, B.J. Raji, Clay Matthews, etc.  At best, this is really bad confirmation bias.

Man you had to go 10 years back pretty quick there

34 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Plus Jaire was a pick against GB's tendencies, didn't meet the size thresholds. I don't get why Packers fans obsess about this stuff more than other franchises. You've been bad at inside linebacker for years and it has cost you games. You've expected Aaron Rodgers to win games with Equinimeous St Brown. Now you're saying you can't draft the best player on the board at a position of need because of the formula? 

I just don't get it. 

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

And you used a pass rusher who is coming off his rookie year, a talented but nutcase defensive back, a solid albeit injury prone corner, and Josh Jackson.  Josh Jackson is really the only real bust in that group.  Your point?

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Plus Jaire was a pick against GB's tendencies, didn't meet the size thresholds. I don't get why Packers fans obsess about this stuff more than other franchises. You've been bad at inside linebacker for years and it has cost you games. You've expected Aaron Rodgers to win games with Equinimeous St Brown. Now you're saying you can't draft the best player on the board at a position of need because of the formula? 

I just don't get it. 

No.  That's not what is being argued.  If you don't view Kenneth Murray as this elite LB, why would you use that pick?  As I've already said, there is nobody on the board that has a grade lean.  Not a LB, not a WR, not anything.