Which position groups are the Packers concentrating on ?

OneTwoSixFive

Here is a piece from tom Kislingbury on how many of each position group teams are interviewing. I thought the results were worth a post here.

EVjntk_XYAAs25k?format=png&name=large

When you look at the Packers it is really surprising (to me) that so much attention has been paid to DBs, CB in particular. While many of us might have expected the odd later pick to fill in there, this attention suggests rather more weight put behind it.

At the opposite end of the scale, they are paying less attention to the O line than just about any other team except the Cowboys (who have invested hugely there in the not so distant past). Also, given how abundant the position seems to be this year, there was less much attention paid to WRs than I would have anticipated.

• Like 1

This is interesting, I'll also say I wouldn't put the most stock in it since it isn't weighted for like projected round selection.  We'll probably have 3 rookie DBs on the team that are drafted round 3 to UDFA since in the modern NFL they fill out your special teams. We'll probably carry 6-7 corners and 5-6 safeties which is almost a quarter of the roster.

• Like 1

Here is how Pigskin Paul (of GreatBlueNorth) ranks the first five tiers of this draft (42 players in total).

QB Joe Burrow
DE Chase Young

2 LB Isaiah Simmons
CB Jeff Okudah
DT Derrick Brown
QB Tua Tagovailoa
3 QB Justin Herbert
WR CeeDee Lamb; Jerry Jeudy; Henry Ruggs;
OT Tristan Wirfs; Jedrick Wills; Mehki Becton
DT Javon Kinlaw
4 QB Jordan Love
WR Justin Jefferson
OT Andrew Thomas
ER K'Lavon Chaisson
LB Patrick Queen; Kenneth Murray
CB CJ Henderson
S Grant Delpit
5 QB Jacob Eason
RB D'Andre Swift; Jonathan Taylor
WR Tee Higgins; Denzel Mims; Brandon Aiyuk; Laviska Shenault
OT Josh Jones; Ezra Cleveland; Austin Jackson
C Cesar Ruiz
DE Yetur Gross-Matos; AJ Epenesa
DT Ross Blacklock
LB Zack Baun
CB Trevon Diggs; Kristian Fulton; AJ Terrell; Jaylon Johnson
S Xavier McKinney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaegybomb said:

We have 9, Chargers to our right have 10.

2 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

How are the teams ordered?

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

I was wondering the same... it's not alphabetically by city or team name, it's not by division, it's not by record... who the hell knows

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

It appears to be arranged left -> right based on # of positions interviewed.
Falcons with 11 on the left, Rams with only 6 on the right

1 hour ago, Jaegybomb said:

We have 9, Chargers to our right have 10.

This was driving me crazy. It's by number of visits (which also confuses me, are the numbers really this diverse?)

Edited by chillparsi1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

This is interesting, I'll also say I wouldn't put the most stock in it since it isn't weighted for like projected round selection.  We'll probably have 3 rookie DBs on the team that are drafted round 3 to UDFA since in the modern NFL they fill out your special teams. We'll probably carry 6-7 corners and 5-6 safeties which is almost a quarter of the roster.

1.  Yeah, I'm not sure what if anything to draw from that.  Back when they used to have full visits, most of those were spent on late-round/UDFA guys.  They may need to talk to more guys to figure out who's a good value with all their 6th and 7th round picks, and who to chase UDFA, than what do with their three 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.  

2.  Interest in secondary isn't that surprising.  The superficial is to see two starting safeties (Savage, Amos) and the first two starting corners (Jaire, King) and feel like it's not as needy.  But after those four guys, the secondary is really thin.   For a team that usually plays nickel and dime, and usually carries ≥10 secondary guy, the whole 90-man roster has only 11 secondary guys total....

• Front four, locks:  Jaire, King, Amos, Savage
  • Next five: Sullivan, Greene, Redmond, Hollman, Jackson
  • Practice squad:  Kabion Ento,  DeShawn Amos

They've barely got enough bodies to fill the roster even if nobody has a single injury all season; and then only if Redmon, Hollman, Jackson, Ento, and Amos are all considered NFL-roster worthy guys you want on your roster.  Absolutely likely that they spend a couple of picks on secondary, plus go UDFA-heavy there.   

Without any research I’d venture a guess all teams’ rosters look very similar.  The fact we have 4 established starters at CB and S and a 2nd round pick backing up the CBs (I didn’t say he was good, just a high pick) is probably better than most teams.  It’s pretty common forum belief that every other team’s roster is full of established starters and burgeoning pro-bowlers but the depth charts look pretty similar w late rnd guys and udfa’s as primary backups (and in many cases-starters)

Edited by Kampfgeist

I checked in the division.  Bears 15, Lions 13, Packers 11, Vikings have only 9 secondary guys.  They've really lost personnel there, so they'll be prioritizing secondary.  

I assume teams use draft, UDFA, and street FA's to get their 90-man rosters more normalized.