Post your unpopular opinions

paul-mac

I’ll get the ball rolling:

Marlon Davidson is a top 25 prospect in this draft.

I have Jacob Eason ranked higher than Jordan Love. Both second round grades. 

Albert Okwuegbunam is my 2nd rated tight end, only behind Kmet.

Justin Madubuike should be a first round pick. 

I wouldn’t take any CB in the first round apart from Okudah and Henderson. I like quite a few in the second round though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'd take Anthony Gordon over every QB not named Burrow, if he can add 10 lbs and a little arm strength. He kinda reminds me of Jimmy G.

I'm reading this going "dang, alright! this is a good one." And then i read the bolded, and was thinking, we'll I've never really cared for him either...

• Like 2

I've thought that Hurts is a better prospect than Jordan Love for a while. I just don't like Love when I watch him play. His 2018 tape is fantastic, though. I prefer Hurts over Love, and really, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum in a lot of ways. 

- With Hurts, the question has been "Does he have the arm talent?" Whereas with Love, the arm talent is really his only selling point.

- Hurts had the best season of his career this year with outstanding numbers across the board, but he had his least productive season in 2018 when he wasn't a starter at Alabama (though he did impress and look better than 2017 when he did play). Love is the opposite, where 2018 was his best season and an amazing year, but 2019 was very rough for him. 

- Hurts went to an Oklahoma program that's renowned for having one of the best offensive staffs, strong surrounding talent, and a wide-open scheme in 2019. Jordan Love played at a Utah State program that lost all of their best coaches and suffered a major scheme regression in 2019. There aren't any WRs making waves at USU, either.

- I love what I saw from Hurts above the shoulders in 2018 and 2019. That very same aspect of the game is where I feel that Jordan Love is untouchable due to how bad his instincts are there. Yes, his team did him no favors (as I alluded to above), but he often went after literally the hardest throw and worst read on the field. And I'm not talking ultra-aggression like Carson Palmer. It's not aggression when you miss your top perimeter playmaker 1 on 1 against San Diego State but force a throw to a HB running a Texas with 3 LBs AND a safety in the box, sitting in coverage. Just an example. Hurts, meanwhile, has improved every single year of his career, and if you go back and watch the tape, yes, he was rarely asked to make a full-field read or go through full progressions, due to the nature of the offense. However, he was so much smarter with his decision-making, quicker, and more efficient on half-field reads and triangle-progressions in comparison to 2016 and 2017. 

Just watching Hurts play versus watching Love play, I like Hurts more. I DO have a 2nd-round grade on Love despite his abysmal instincts and ability to see the field, for what it's worth.

I've been posting about the Chargers' interest in Jalen Hurts for a long time. It seems that the plan has been for the Chargers to take an elite OT in the first round and then grab Hurts at the end of the first via a trade-up or early on day 2.

I think elite OT and Hurts is at least as likely as Herbert and second-round OT at this stage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm reading this going "dang, alright! this is a good one." And then i read the bolded, and was thinking, we'll I've never really cared for him either...

I liked Jimmy as a prospect. Really quick release, accurate passes.  With Gordon you see the same thing. A poor mans Drew Brees if you will, that you hope can develop his 9mm arm into a .38 or a .40, and obviously continue to improve in his reads and pocket feel and all the other stuff that makes good QB's good. 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I've been posting about the Chargers' interest in Jalen Hurts for a long time. It seems that the plan has been for the Chargers to take an elite OT in the first round and then grab Hurts at the end of the first via a trade-up or early on day 2.

I think elite OT and Hurts is at least as likely as Herbert and second-round OT at this stage.

I've been wanting to post about Jalen Hurts going late 1st rd in the hot take thread...lol Some team will grab a QB at the back-end of the 1st rd to make sure they get their guy and get that 5th yr option. I know Hurts has his flaws but he seems to have the high character qualities HC/GM will talk themselves into. 

Side note LAC could trade up with SF at 31 for LAC pick 37 and their 4th rd. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sherm said:

I've been wanting to post about Jalen Hurts going late 1st rd in the hot take thread...lol Some team will grab a QB at the back-end of the 1st rd to make sure they get their guy and get that 5th yr option. I know Hurts has his flaws but he seems to have the high character qualities HC/GM will talk themselves into. 

Side note LAC could trade up with SF at 31 for LAC pick 37 and their 4th rd. 

And it would make a LOT of sense.

With QB contracts being what they are, teams are going to want to continue to maximize the Super Bowl window with players on rookie contracts - or very team-friendly deals, like what Tom Brady has done for a lot of his career. The thing is, though, you can't count on a QB taking a team-friendly deal, so you want to control a rookie contract for as long as possible. Look at what happened with the Seahawks, Rams, Eagles, and Chiefs. That group of teams have accounted for five Super Bowl appearances in the last six seasons, including three victories. If you include the Patriots with Brady and his price tag (well below market value), then you have nine appearances and six victories from that group.

In the playoffs last year, five of the twelve teams had QBs on rookie deals. An additional four teams have future Hall of Famers. Only three teams didn't have a QB on a rookie deal or a Hall of Fame QB. In 2018-19, seven teams had QBs on rookie deals, and four had future Hall of Fame QBs. The only team in that year's playoffs that didn't have future Hall of Fame QB or someone on a rookie deal was the Colts, and they had Andrew Freaking Luck. Over the past two seasons, 12 of 24 teams (50%) have had QBs on rookie deals and 8 of 24 teams had future HOFers. Only four teams over the past two seasons didn't meet either of those two criteria. If you want to be a playoff team, it's INCREDIBLY difficult to do so without a strong roster top-to-bottom or a truly transcendent QB.

Now, tell me, which is easier - getting a Hall of Fame QB or building a roster around someone on a rookie deal? The second option, of course! Trading up for one of these day 2-caliber signal-callers in round 1 makes much more sense than having to pay them a lot of money a year early. And yeah, those guys have flaws. But honestly, pretty much every QB prospect does. Obviously, better is better, but if you feel like someone can be your guy, you get them. We saw the Ravens do this with Lamar, and that seems to have worked out well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I'd take Anthony Gordon over every QB not named Burrow, if he can add 10 lbs and a little arm strength. He kinda reminds me of Jimmy G.

YES. Was saying this in our forum.

He admitted he actually modelled his mechanics on Jimmy G. Similar release and quickness

Mine;

Both Love and Hurts are going to be taken too high, and I believe there's a good chance both will never crack the NFL. They have major red flags that I'm not sure can be coached (slow release and processing, accuracy in tight windows etc).

If you didn't NEED a TE on the roster, only 1 or 2 would be taken this year....

Tua overrated, but Herbert will be surprise

I think people are a bit too high on Baun

Edited by Hunter2_1