Post your unpopular opinions

paul-mac

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Jordan Love is a franchise QB and the 2018 tape shows it. People rag on him because they see simplicity in Gary Andersen's offense with no talent around him. He should go top 10, not mid-to-late 1st.

In all fairness, people rag on him because he consistently misses throws a JV high school QB should miss. He is a very impressive athlete who makes unbelievable Mahomes-level plays at times, but there are far too many WTF throws from him. He is a huge risk/reward project. 

I am not saying he won’t be good...I’m saying it would take a tremendous amount of growth as a player for him to be a good QB. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

In all fairness, people rag on him because he consistently misses throws a JV high school QB should miss. He is a very impressive athlete who makes unbelievable Mahomes-level plays at times, but there are far too many WTF throws from him. He is a huge risk/reward project. 

I am not saying he won’t be good...I’m saying it would take a tremendous amount of growth as a player for him to be a good QB. 

Hyperbole at it's finest. Not sure how someone could feel comfortable with Herbert but then **** on Love. 

• Like 1

Love's tools are tremendous and his 2018 tape is only surpassed by Burrow's 2019 tape. He's not a perfect prospect by any means (and a lot of that comes with the quality of coaching he received at Utah State) but he's worth a top 10 investment. 

If a chode like Daniel Jones can go top 10, there's zero reason a viable QB like Love shouldn't. Different drafts, obviously, but Love trumps Jones in every possible way. The only QBs in this class I take over him are Burrow and a healthy Tu'a. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Love's tools are tremendous and his 2018 tape is only surpassed by Burrow's 2019 tape. He's not a perfect prospect by any means (and a lot of that comes with the quality of coaching he received at Utah State) but he's worth a top 10 investment. 

If a chode like Daniel Jones can go top 10, there's zero reason a viable QB like Love shouldn't. Different drafts, obviously, but Love trumps Jones in every possible way. The only QBs in this class I take over him are Burrow and a healthy Tu'a. 

Watching Jordan Love struggle to complete bubble throws against off zone coverage is something I didn’t have to worry about with Daniel Jones...or really any QB that has gone in the top 10. Jordan Love has an elite skill set, but is insanely unpolished. Much less polished than Josh Allen, the recent king of unpolish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Watching Jordan Love struggle to complete bubble throws against off zone coverage is something I didn’t have to worry about with Daniel Jones...or really any QB that has gone in the top 10. Jordan Love has an elite skill set, but is insanely unpolished. Much less polished than Josh Allen, the recent king of unpolish. 

The kid reminds me of Jake Locker, toolsy, terrible consistency, and one previous good year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

From pff; (so not my analysis)

Love saw an increase of his passes going to a tight window – after hovering around the FBS average in 2018, the rate at which Love targeted a receiver with separation dropped 5% to one of the 10 lowest in the FBS. However, we must consider that this isn’t really on the receivers themselves, but on Love himself. For example, let’s look at how he performs when going to his first read. Love’s PFF grade took an insane hit in this category, dropping from 85.0 last season to 69.8 this year (would be far and away the lowest among the last three draft classes’ top quarterbacks). There were an insane number of throws made by Love to his first read this season that were just head-scratchers – some where the play was nowhere near to being fully developed, thus causing an unnecessary tight window throw. 

Love’s decision-making and accuracy on his horizontal lead passes (throws in which he is leading the receiver across the field, like crossers, slants, etc.) was significantly worse. PFF charts every single quarterback pass made at both the collegiate and professional levels in a process led by former NFL quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, and the findings on Love are a big red flag. He had seven interceptions on horizontal lead passes in 2019 that were solely his fault – not his receiver, not a great play by the defense, but a pass that was either an overthrow, underthrow, ball thrown behind the receiver, misread in coverage, etc. He had zero of these on horizontal lead passes in 2018.

Love-INT.png

When comparing Love’s tight window passing to quarterbacks who were drafted in the first three rounds of the last three NFL drafts as well the top choices from this year’s class mentioned earlier, the concern grows larger. Love has produced an uncatchable pass rate into tight windows higher than any of these quarterbacks at 44.4%

There have been a lot of forceful throws and desperation heaves from Love into double or triple coverage when under duress and has resulted in 44.3% of his pressured attempts being an uncatchable pass. That’s 3% higher than any of the top quarterback prospects in 2019 and any quarterback taken in the first three rounds of the last four NFL drafts.

Quarterback Wins above average
1. Joe Burrow 2.156
2. Jalen Hurts 1.204
3. Jake Fromm 0.747
4. Tua Tagovailoa (just 9 games played) 0.505
5. Justin Herbert 0.395
6. Jacob Eason 0.270
7. Jordan Love 0.009

Love’s 2019 season was full of plays in which he tried to be superman and lofted some horrendous passes. The more concerning part of his play is that his absolute worst throws were against average competition. 

I don't think CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy are special. I think both have been totally sensationalized because of the position they play. I see scheme and role specific wide receivers. I think Lamb will bust if a team isn't dedicated to using him in creative ways, and I think Jeudy will only put up elite production from within the slot. 

I think the trio of Corey Davis/Mike Williams/John Ross as prospects was significantly better than Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs.

I'd also have Ruggs as the top guy. He too is scheme/role specific, but give me that speed, give me those hops, and give me those hands. 

13 minutes ago, Classic said:

Chase Young will be another Jadeveon Clowney. 

Its certainly possible but if his floor is Clowney, but that is all the more reason he should go number 2. I don't love that comparison though. I was actually a Clowney doubter going into the draft because of his abysmal final season (bUt He WaS tRiPlE tEaMeD!!!). Chase was always productive. You could also make a Mario Williams comp if you want to say his production leaned heavily towards bad teams (not nearly as skewed as WIlliams was). People tend to eval players on a boom/bust level rather than a range of possibilities. Unless you want to count Gholston (who was always a pure workout warrior), I can't think of the last time a prospect of Young's mold/caliber at DE flat busted. The hot take that he'll underwhelm is fine though and I don't think its crazy to think so.

13 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Other quarterbacks are being projected to levels they have never threatened. Jordan Love is being projected far below a level he has already demonstrated

Haw????  In the words of The Virgin Mary, "Come Again"???  OK, but seriously I get what you are saying, I just strongly disagree.  I think Love is a 2nd rounder and if he doesn't go to a team that has a successful QB developer on staff then he isn't even going to reach his draft status as a 2nd rounder.  In other words if he were to go to Philadelphia or KC or the Saints he could be a really good Pro QB in 2-3 years, but if he were in Miami, Detroit, San Diego etc.....He probably won't get the coaching he needs to drastically improve.