Post your unpopular opinions

paul-mac

Got a new one.

Most people are going too hard for Z Baun. A hybrid Edge rusher/LB who is 6'2 and around 230lbs.  He's unlikely to be an edge rusher in the NFL, so he'll have to be some kind of linebacker for most teams. In a team like NE, I think he IS a first round type talent - NE can use him like a KVN, Collins - some kind of rush/LB hybrid. Most other teams though, he should be graded solely as linebacker, and he's what....3rd, 4th or 5th best? That isn't first round. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Herbert and Love are not first round based on talent

Based on talent? They’re top 10. Based on actual tape and mental acuity? Probably not. But both are supremely talented. I think Herbert has shown more translatable skills and throws than Love has. But both are high-risk, high-reward. Jordan Love has the higher ceiling and the best highlight throws. Herbert is a more composed and traditional pocket QB in the mold of Joe Flacco. 

Herbert—More athletic Flacco at his best

Love—Pat Mahomes at his best

But with that being said, Herbert is much closer to reaching his ceiling than Love is. 

• Like 1

Jacob Eason is worth considering in the first round, not high to a QB needy team that needs a start now, but to a team willing to develop him. He's every bit as high upside as Jordan Love.

Tampa at 14 is the highest point I see that I think would be "shocking" but not wrong. If Ryan Mallet was once viewed as a Brady successor (sure he was taken in the third) Eason to groom behind Brady for Brady doing his play until 45 thing, then Eason comes out 3 years in Arians system, a cheap year left and then another option year makes sense to me (if the OL options deplete by pick 14 it makes sense -- not over a LT unless the LT is Becton and his failed test is a legit concern and not a diluted sample or some nonsense of excess water drinking).

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Based on talent? They’re top 10. Based on actual tape and mental acuity? Probably not. But both are supremely talented. I think Herbert has shown more translatable skills and throws than Love has. But both are high-risk, high-reward. Jordan Love has the higher ceiling and the best highlight throws. Herbert is a more composed and traditional pocket QB in the mold of Joe Flacco. 

Herbert—More athletic Flacco at his best

Love—Pat Mahomes at his best

But with that being said, Herbert is much closer to reaching his ceiling than Love is. 

I think you're confusing "talent" with "physical traits". IMO, "talent" entails all those traits you suggested.

"Supremely talented" people don't throw directly at defenders on multiple occasions

Edit: In rereading this, I did use a poor choice of words. I thinking everything as the total package: size, strength, intangibles, etc

Edited by JTagg7754

25 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I think you're confusing "talent" with "physical traits". IMO, "talent" entails all those traits you suggested.

"Supremely talented" people don't throw directly at defenders on multiple occasions

Heck even "physical traits" tends to just be big arm (with a dash of big frame and mobility). Its funny people will say having a cannon doesn't really matter (it doesn't) but in so many ways people's evaluation of QBs circles back to "how far/fast can they throw a football" as the central basis of their potential/talent.

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Heck even "physical traits" tends to just be big arm (with a dash of big frame and mobility). Its funny people will say having a cannon doesn't really matter (it doesn't) but in so many ways people's evaluation of QBs circles back to "how far/fast can they throw a football" as the central basis of their potential/talent.

Yep. Good decision making (as a result of being able to read defenses and go through progressions), accuracy, pocket presence are all more important that arm strength. As long as it’s not a total noodle you’re fine. Heck I’d take a mobile QB with an average arm over a cannon armed statue 

37 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Ezra Cleveland will be the 5th OT off the board; going before names like Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, and Isaiah Wilson. 

The Browns reportedly love him. If they move back, I could see this happening. 

Would be like Feagles on the Eagles or Philly Brown in Philly. 

19 hours ago, Trojan said:

Jacob Eason is worth considering in the first round, not high to a QB needy team that needs a start now, but to a team willing to develop him. He's every bit as high upside as Jordan Love.

Tampa at 14 is the highest point I see that I think would be "shocking" but not wrong. If Ryan Mallet was once viewed as a Brady successor (sure he was taken in the third) Eason to groom behind Brady for Brady doing his play until 45 thing, then Eason comes out 3 years in Arians system, a cheap year left and then another option year makes sense to me (if the OL options deplete by pick 14 it makes sense -- not over a LT unless the LT is Becton and his failed test is a legit concern and not a diluted sample or some nonsense of excess water drinking).

TBh I’d be shocked if TB took a QB in the first 3 rounds. TB is all in with TB 

Looking across the board and through the rumors, I'm starting to think that WR is going to to fall this draft. Like I'd probably take the under of 5 in the first round. The high end of talent drops off much faster at other positions and I feel like there will be a landgrab of other positions to wait on WR in the second.