2020 and 2021 drafts. Not for discussion.

JetsandI

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14018-1363201186-13

Adrian Monk is our new pope.

2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTu

Night One:

Trade 1-

Jets sent 1.11 and 4.120.

Saints sent 1.24, 3.88 and 2021’s 1st round pick.

I copied the Pat Mahomes Jr. trade here. Because Saints gave up more than Chiefs, Jets’ 4th round pick should make up 70 percent difference for Saints. Saints’ salary cap has endlessly been crunching and signing a viable qb as free agent isn’t going to be cheap. After Dolphins and Chargers stupidly passed on Justin Herbert as Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa were taken back to back to open the draft. Unlike Andy Reid, Sean Payton doesn’t care about draft value so I am shrugging about Saints not drafting one until 4th round.

Jets opted to trade down rather than drafting one of raw OT prospects such as Mekhi Becton, Austin Jackson and even Erza Cleveland at 11. WR CeeDee Lamb or Henry Ruggs may be the pick if there was no trade down. Once Herbert fell out of top 10, Saints immediately made the move for him to ensure having a viable qb for 2021 if Drew Brees retires after this season.

For the 24th overall selection of the 2020’s draft, the New York Jets select Austin Jackson, offensive tackle from University of Southern California.

Yah! Boo! Yes! Awful! Blah Blah Blah!!! You shut up.

He is expected to start at RT on week 1. He was chosen over Joshua Jones due to blocking intelligence. He has excellent work and character ethic so he should be staying right on track during the developmental process to be Jets’ LT for many years.

Trade 2-

Jets sent 48 and 68.

Seahawks sent 27.

For the 27th overall selection in this draft, the New York Jets select Brandon Aiyuk, wideout from Arizona State University.

OT and WR have been hot spots as Jets’ most pressing needs so filling out both spots with 1st round talents should be the best way to rebuild the pathetic offensive side. Getting cute with value during the draft is dangerously tricky, especially those premium spots. When you hear about WR draft class being deep, it usually works well for any team with sound starting wideouts on roster or double dip approaching philosophy. The latter should be suitable for Jets at the moment.

Aiyuk’s skill sets are too much to ignore for middling round wideouts. Yards after catch and hip fluidity are essential for Sam Darnold’s offense. Thank to his natural ability to master route running, he should be able to pick up a few new routes in pro by NFL trade deadline.

Night Two:

For the 79th overall selection of this draft, Jets select Prince Tega Wanogho, offensive tackle from University of Auburn.

When drafting OL to bolster OL depth, I prefer OT experience all the way because Jets want athleticism in OL. Every time I think of taking Guard, I want at least stronger mauler but it’s not that case for Jets. Good thing that is PTW’s physicality and raw skill set will make him well all around OL. Jets already line up OL with veterans and AJ so there is no reason to pressure him into NFL action right now. However, I do hope that he makes good stride from rawness to adequate by year 2 as OL will be an issue again for 2021.

Trade 3-

Jets sent 3.88.

Packers sent 3.94 and 5.175.

As the 94th of this draft, Jets select Bryan Edwards, wideout from University of South Carolina.

Entering 3.88’s clock, Jets hoped for a falling cornerback but none happened. Hence, trade down. Entering 3.94’s clock, Jets shifted the attention to RB and WR for same reason as CB. Viola! There is Bryan Edwards.

If Jets’ starting wideouts actually play then Edwards should be there as a possession receiver or a chain mover. Otherwise, he is talented enough to step in for any injured wideout. Inside or Outside.

Prior to Day 3

Trade 4-

Jets sent RB Le’Veon Bell.

Chargers sent 4.112.

Chargers were unhappy with how RB draft progression went on first two nights. Jets could acquire 2021’s 4th round pick if Bell stayed with Chargers after this season.

Day 3

For the 112th overall selection of this draft, Jets select Alton Robinson, EDGE from Syracuse University. He has enough tools to be having NFL career but needs to improve his hand usage/strength first.

For the 159th overall selection of this draft, Jets select Michael Ojemudia, cornerback from University of Iowa. He can do all but long or deep coverage.

For the 175th overall selection of this draft, Jets select Charlie Heck, offensive tackle from University of North Carolina. He comes from OL family as he may end up a swing T.

For the 192nd overall selection of this draft, Jets select Javon Leake, running back from University of Maryland. Let’s hope that his 40 yard dash at the combine was a fluke.

For the 212th overall selection of this draft, Jets select Darnell Mooney, wideout from Tulane University. A developmental slot receiver with returning ability.

• I skipped free agency because I don’t expect Jets to make big splash as Joe Douglas continues building the team via drafts.
  • Chargers and Le’Veon Bell were apart after one season so Jets won’t get 4th round pick.
  • No draft compensatory picks for Jets. Boo!
  • I expected Jets to be end up outside top 15 and top 25 for Saints. 17th and 28th overall selections for Jets to kick off the draft.

Night 1-

For the 17th overall selection of the NFL’s 2021 draft, the New York Jets select Kwity Paye, defensive end from University of Michigan.

For the 28th overall selection of the NFL’s 2021 draft, the New York Jets select Asante Samuel Jr., cornerback from University of Florida State.

Night 2-

2nd Round Pick: IOL Josh Sills, Oklahoma State.

3rd Round Pick: WR Randall St. Felix, South Florida.

Day 3-

PPPpppFFFfffftttttttt! Figure it out yourself.

tumblr_mlekkt3Hex1qjfrswo1_400.gif