2020 Draft Thread

holt_bruce81

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Man I know There’s no way we draft him...but If he wasn’t so unwilling to change positions, Khalil Tate could’ve been an early day 3 pick. Never understood why those guys are so hardheaded. Could of had a Brad Smith, back end of the roster, type career. 

Don’t get me started. I’m an Arizona grad. Pisses me off. Could’ve had a Lynn Bowden type rise

33 minutes ago, The LBC said:

We signed Maine WR Earnest Edwards who is a YAC monster.  I'd DM jrry about him several weeks ago.  One of the best returners in the nation.  4.3 speed (and it shows on tape).  Poor man's Henry Ruggs type.

Good to hear. We need a good returner.

40 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I’m leaving the draft thinking Bill Devaney was in charge of every pick.. I like 2/3 guys out this whole draft. And with 4 picks in the second and 3rd I expected we plug in impact guys. 

We came out this draft with maybe one starter. 

We're a team coming off three straight winning seasons. The odds of us drafting more than two guys who would start as rookies aren't great to start.

1 hour ago, chris00cm said:

He's an outlier in the "pristine route-runner, QB on the field" types that pan out in the NFL. At least he dominated his competition and had gawdy production at EW.

No, he's not. When people overly rely on metrics, they often end up missing what's right in front of them. Watch Van school Derek Stingley (who's going to be the #1 CB taken in 2022 if he's healthy) and then tell me that he can't play. I think McVay has more than proven that he knows the WR position and can spot an underutilized WR. Remember when we signed Robert Woods? People panned it. McVay was right about him too. Van's numbers aren't higher because of QB play and a scheme spreads the ball around. Van played beside a first round pick at TE (and outproduced him) and three WRs who will be on NFL rosters by the end of today (Swain [drafted], Cleveland [drafted], and Hammond [UDFA]).

If drafting Van is deja vu to drafting Kupp, I'm very happy. You can poopoo over Godwin, but the guy we drafted is coming off a year where he put up 94 catches for 1161 yards and 10 TDs. Who cares if Godwin is better? You're talking about two Pro Bowl caliber WRs. Enjoy hitting on the 3rd round pick. And you make a big deal out of Mims. But he's a significantly riskier pick. Yes, you can hit it big on Mims, but you could also easily strike out. He's a raw route runner who struggles getting off jams at the LOS and had issues with drops in 2019. He's not a sure thing. I trust McVay here. And if Mims and Van both become 1000+ yard WRs, I won't be complaining. I prefer to regret busts, not missing out on one great WR for another.

29 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So far other UDFA are:

Brown DL (from Canada) Michael Hoecht
San Jose State QB Josh Love
USF EDGE Greg Reaves
Kansas State RB James Gilbert
Minnesota DT Sam Renner
BYU DB Dayan Ghanwoloku

Josh Love has a lot of fans in the draftnik community.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

're a team coming off three straight winning seasons. The odds of us drafting more than two guys who would start as rookies aren't great to start.

we lost Littleton, Weddle, Fowler, and Mathews on D. We lost Gurley and COoks on O. The odds of us drafting 2 guys to start isnt as high as you'd think for a 9 win team that's re-tooling.

• Like 1

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

we lost Littleton, Weddle, Fowler, and Mathews on D. We lost Gurley and COoks on O. The odds of us drafting 2 guys to start isnt as high as you'd think for a 9 win team that's re-tooling.

We replaced Weddle with Rapp. We replaced Fowler with Floyd. We had a Matthews replacement in-house already (Ebukam). And we had Gurley's and Cooks's replacements in-house as well (Henderson and Reynolds). Littleton is the only one we didn't replace, and it seems that they like the guys they have, oddly enough. 

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

We replaced Weddle with Rapp. We replaced Fowler with Floyd. We had a Matthews replacement in-house already (Ebukam). And we had Gurley's and Cooks's replacements in-house as well (Henderson and Reynolds). Littleton is the only one we didn't replace, and it seems that they like the guys they have, oddly enough. 

Okay we replaced Weddle with Rapp, who replaced Rapp;s snaps?

Floyd will likely kick inside so you could say we replaced Fowler's snaps with Oko.

Matthews replacement (by your definition) was in house before Matthews even showed up lol

Henderson is a change of pace back, that's why we made our first pick Akers. And our 2nd pick Jefferson lol

Littleton is the only one they felt comfortable replaceing in house

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Floyd will likely kick inside so you could say we replaced Fowler's snaps with Oko.

Matthews replacement (by your definition) was in house before Matthews even showed up lol

Henderson is a change of pace back, that's why we made our first pick Akers. And our 2nd pick Jefferson lol

In order:

1. Rapp started the year as the third safety, so the rookie would too. That's not a starter.

2. We'll see what happens with Floyd.

3. Yeah, he was. We weren't going to draft a starter to replace Clay. A rookie would most likely back up Samson and come in on obvious passing downs.

4. Henderson isn't just a change of pace back. Him and Akers can create a committee approach (which is what McVay said he preferred). We drafted Henderson last year for a reason. 

5. Jefferson was our second pick because Reynolds is gone at the end of the year. He might well take Reynolds's job, but the idea that we didn't have a veteran who could step in as a starter isn't accurate.

6. Littleton isn't the only one they felt comfortable replacing in-house. Your logic is so faulty here. Ebukam steps into a starting role. We draft a player to take his role. Rapp steps into a starting role (well, technically, he was forced to do that last year, but that wasn't the plan). We draft a player to replace his role (which ended up being Christian's role). Henderson steps into a starting role. We draft a player to replace his role. Reynolds steps into a starting role. We draft a player to replace his role. Now, Akers and Jefferson might well win starting jobs, but it's clear what they're doing here. It's quite typical of what good teams do. Like I said, the odds of a winning team drafting more than two rookie starters aren't great to start.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Terrell Burgess replaces Rapp's snaps, which weren't a ton before JJ3's injury.

Floyd probably won't kick inside.

Matthews and Ebukam aren't far off.

I just pray we let Natrez loose. Hate Ebukam, besides that Chiefs game he’s been a huge stigma of bad play. Like how are you below avg when you’re playing with Donald lol. He’s just so avg it hurts me. OBO-Lewis-Natrez-Floyd really gets my blood pumping. Super athletic dynamic sex machines. 

I think Burgess takes JJs spot for next year. Think JJ might be too rich for us. And I wouldn’t be mad. He’s a damm good safety but something tells me he’s going to want to get paid.. When does the dead money kick in? This year or next? I feels like we’re eating it this year(I may be wrong). So we should have massive money next year? 

2 hours ago, chris00cm said:

Jefferson - I have very vivid flashbacks of this pick to the 2017 draft. Passing on young/dynamic Chris Godwin for the old/twitchy Cooper Kupp. This time, we passed on Denzel Mims (#1 comp. to Godwin) for Van Jefferson. It's deja vu.

Nah, don’t compare Mims to Godwin. He’s much more Sammy Coates than anything else. Ban has a real chance to be entrenched as the #2 by next season. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Can someone promise me we didn't take Van because we won't extend Kupp? I don't know if I could handle that. 

It’s more likely that we are planning to pay Kupp, and move Woods in order to make that cap space. Fits better in that role anyway

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It’s more likely that we are planning to pay Kupp, and move Woods in order to make that cap space. Fits better in that role anyway

Meaning Van is better in Woods role than Kupp's? I wouldn't want to lose Woods either but I named my 2nd boy in part after Kupp lol. I don't want him gone. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

In order:

1. Rapp started the year as the third safety, so the rookie would too. That's not a starter.

2. We'll see what happens with Floyd.

3. Yeah, he was. We weren't going to draft a starter to replace Clay. A rookie would most likely back up Samson and come in on obvious passing downs.

4. Henderson isn't just a change of pace back. Him and Akers can create a committee approach (which is what McVay said he preferred). We drafted Henderson last year for a reason. 

5. Jefferson was our second pick because Reynolds is gone at the end of the year. He might well take Reynolds's job, but the idea that we didn't have a veteran who could step in as a starter isn't accurate.

6. Littleton isn't the only one they felt comfortable replacing in-house. Your logic is so faulty here. Ebukam steps into a starting role. We draft a player to take his role. Rapp steps into a starting role (well, technically, he was forced to do that last year, but that wasn't the plan). We draft a player to replace his role (which ended up being Christian's role). Henderson steps into a starting role. We draft a player to replace his role. Reynolds steps into a starting role. We draft a player to replace his role. Now, Akers and Jefferson might well win starting jobs, but it's clear what they're doing here. It's quite typical of what good teams do. Like I said, the odds of a winning team drafting more than two rookie starters aren't great to start.

1. Rapp played ALOT of snaps last year. He played more than 50% of the starting snaps so yes, that's a starter.

2. sure

3. Samson flirted with starting minutes before CLay came, got a backseat once he did and now is back to starting minutes, IDK how to classify it, but will compete with Oko next year. Our OLB spots are up for grabs and Lewis could earn a starting spot which is the point of this post.

4. What you said is 100% right, but we needed a back to compliment Henderson. Either is a starting back.  Your original topic was who could be a starting player and Akers could would should be one.

5.Cooks is gone. OUr 3rd WR plays significant snaps. Jefferson will. Classify it how you wish. 

6. Starting on a  depth chart is one thing, but playing significant snaps is another. Akers, Burgess, Lewis, and Jefferson will all play 50% of the snaps next year. To me, that is a starter and a contributor. That is more important than an irrelevant label.