2020 Draft Thread

holt_bruce81

43 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Trying to come up with the perfect mock draft, I can't get past the first few rounds. I really want Tee Higgins and I think there's a good chance he falls in our laps on draft day. And if that's the case, it should take all but 30 seconds to make that selection. I mean I love Josh Reynolds and think he can be a very good #3 on this team, but he's not on the same level as Tee Higgins. 

I also really like guys like Zack Moss, JK Dobbins, Robert Hunt, Terrell Burgess, Kenny Robinson, Nick Harris, Akeem Davis-Gaither...Wouldn't mind any of those guys. 

Would love to see something like Tee Higgins, Dobbins or CEH, Logan Wilson/Akeem Davis Gaithers, Darrell Taylor/Tyler Biadsz

• Like 4

So I know that PFF tends to go over like a fart in the room with many on FF, and I'm not the biggest fan of their metrics, but I'll listen to certain pods of theirs because they discuss topics that don't often get discussed on other pods, while still being privy to folks who are fairly well connected.

One such topic came up today how we saw a decent chunk of juniors decide to go back to school this year, on the expectation that the new CBA - which hadn't come out yet - would reward them more lucratively in 2021 than being drafted this year (and falling under the last year of the 2010 CBA in their rookie contracts) would.  And that with that not being the case, coupled with the great uncertainty surrounding what the college football season (assuming it even happens) would look like in 2020, we could see a lot more guys opt for the supplemental draft to get in and get paid now.

Now one of the names being bandied about as someone who could make such a decision was Travis Etienne.  We've seen that Snead has been willing to splash around in the supplement draft before and that would mean using a 2021 pick as the means of acquisition, but it's worth keeping in mind.  As there may be distinctly different strategies at play with different teams this draft, with some teams punting heavily on the 2021 draft because of the uncertainty and ability to even have the opportunity to scout players in the manner they're accustom to, some teams going the inverse of that and punting on this year's draft to try to load up for 2021 (which is the more common theme), and the twist in there could also be teams trying to load up on 2021 picks with the potential safety net of expecting a more potent player pool in the supplemental draft than the usual bunch of discipline issue guys who get kicked out of programs or don't want to transfer.

• Like 2

Another thing that was brought up on that pod, that I hadn't paid as much attention to previously, was that the new CBA did some tinkering with the value of the 5th-year option to where it's not the "affordable holdover year" that we've been accustom to seeing.  It's going to be much closer to the franchise tender amount than to "an affordable year."  So with that in mind, I don't think we're going to see as much (there will probably still be some, but not near to the amount that we've been used to seeing) of teams trying to trade back into the end of the 1st to get that 5YO on a guy.  And long-term this probably (which should be a good thing for us) pushes the contract extension process to be something more akin to what we've seen in baseball where teams are have more incentive to try to extend 1st round rookies earlier, rather than falling back on the 5YO because it gives them a more affordable backstop.

I'm too lazy to game that out over the life of the CBA (10 years), but I do have to think that that probably catches most of the league up to ending up having to work in the tight windows we're finding ourselves in quicker than we might have otherwise expected.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The LBC said:

how we saw a decent chunk of juniors decide to go back to school this year,

But did we though? We always see a handful or two of potential Top 100 prospects decide to go back. 
Both Brown and Herbert were guys who decided to go back to school and actually saw their stock rise (likely) and the Alabama d-backs are always talked about as early picks but they went back. 

Of those who did go back, how many were realistically thought of as Top 50 locks? Because those should be the only surprises.

Lets look at who went back; A few RBs? Who may not even have cracked the top 5 in this class. A couple of WRs that you could argue, but one was the 3rd best on his team and the other that’s all potential and question marks. The eligible OTs were probably all behind the solidified Top 5. And on defense it’s like one CB and maybe some lineman. But the best prospect on that side of the ball lost his season before it started. He wasn’t coming out.

Im sure all the CBA question marks and changes are interesting making for fun hypothetical conversation. And maybe one or two of those guys had this thought, but in the end, it’s hard to argue losing another year of performance to play at college for “free” instead of counting that year as one closer to your second NFL deal, where the real money is made

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

We've seen that Snead has been willing to splash around in the supplement draft before and that would mean using a 2021 pick as the means of acquisition, but it's worth keeping in mind

While that would be exciting, I will point out what I was trying to shed light on in my last mock, we don’t have much of a 2021 Draft as it stands right now

• No 1st Rounder
  • No 4th Rounder
  • No 5th Rounder 

It seems unlikely that we would lose another one if we don’t recoup some during this draft. 

Anyone's draft plans change due to the pandemic? I usually go over a buddies house, order a bunch of wings and pizza and watch the draft with a couple friends. This year I'll probably just stay home and cook up a Frozen pizza lol. Gonna miss those Cullpepper's wings!  

27 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Anyone's draft plans change due to the pandemic? I usually go over a buddies house, order a bunch of wings and pizza and watch the draft with a couple friends. This year I'll probably just stay home and cook up a Frozen pizza lol. Gonna miss those Cullpepper's wings!  

Usually go to my buddy's and where a few of us eat our body weight in pizza, wings, beer, and whiskey. So instead we'll be zooming it and I'll be eating Domino's and some beer!

Here are the guys I’d want that could realistically be there in each round:

Round 2:

Josh Uche

Matt Hennessey

Jordyn Brooks

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman Jr

Jonathan Taylor

JK Dobbins

Round 3:

Logan Wilson

Zach Moss

Akeem Davis-Gaither

Tyler Biadasz

Bradlee Anae

Donovan Peoples-Jones

Round 4:

Alton Robinson

Davion Taylor

Gabriel Davis

Van Jefferson

Nick Harris

• Like 2

Scott right's latest mock over on Draft Countdown had us picking up

• J.K. Dobbins RB OSU
  • KJ Hamler WR Penn St
  • Darrell Taylor OLB Tennessee
  • L'jarius Snead CB LaTech

Wouldnt be mad about that take home on Day 2.

ADG went 2 picks ahead of the Snead pick, that would have been close to this Forum's wet dream haha

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Scott right's latest mock over on Draft Countdown had us picking up

• J.K. Dobbins RB OSU
  • KJ Hamler WR Penn St
  • Darrell Taylor OLB Tennessee
  • L'jarius Snead CB LaTech

Wouldnt be mad about that take home on Day 2.

ADG went 2 picks ahead of the Snead pick, that would have been close to this Forum's wet dream haha

Half I'd be happy with, Dobbins and Taylor.

I know this isnt about the Rams, but Im just gonna throw thoughts out there

1 & 2 were no doi, this broadcast is absolutely awful though. Good on them for making something work, but we are an hour in, and barely through 5 picks. Terrible

Im shocked that DET couldnt drum up interest  in #3, Chargers must have not cared about Tua.

Hate to give them credit, but the Giants made the best pick for the. Thomas is the best OT in this class

And give MIA credit, they didnt even fully tank and still got their guy at #5. Id be worried about him if I was a Dolphins fan, but he should be exciting one way or another

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2