2020 Draft Thread

holt_bruce81

58 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think those who are complaining are those who are complaining about taking a back high again after the Rams took Henderson last year. I have no issue with it. The Lions draft Johnson a few years ago high then took Swift high this year. The Colts drafted Mack years ago and took Taylor high this year. So I will say it again. People value picks too much. They also take mock drafts too serious when it comes to when a player should get drafted. If McVay feels like Akers will be great for his system then he did the right thing. He felt like Henderson would be right for his system so he traded up to get him last year. The only thing nobody envisioned (maybe McVay did but just didnt say anything) and that was moving on from Gurley this soon. But all in all to have two backs in Akers and Henderson to fit the system great and both are great elusive backs that dont need much blocking and they are great pass catchers like how can anyone think thats a bad thing? McVay is probably going to be having wet dreams of how to scheme up ways to use these two backs. Opposing teams will have nightmares on how to stop these two backs from killing them on any given play when the ball is in their hands. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Akers is better than Henderson. The Rams have added a really good player to their roster. How anyone can complain about that is mind boggling. 

Yes he fits the scheme so well and all of you are so happy to have him, that no one in this poll has voted for him...9_9

bqpDY39.png

• Like 1

I'm disappointed with the fact that we drafted Darrell Henderson last year, because it seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick. We barely used him as a rookie and now just drafted a better RB in the 2nd round. 

I didn't know anything about Cam Akers when we drafted him, so I was disappointed we didn't take JK Dobbins. BUT after learning about Akers, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in our offense. He could definitely be our lead back and has potential to be a stud in the NFL. Top overall RB recruit coming out of high school, looks like a good prospect in his highlight videos (FWIW), and the rap seems to be that he was working behind one of the worst O-lines at FSU. 

I think the biggest key for our RBs, and for our team overall, is how much the O-line improves this year. Our season will ride or die on that IMO. The fact that we neglected O-line in the draft though gives me faith/hope that our FO is confident in the guys we have and their upwards trajectory.

jesus christ. according to mike silver henderson was banged up. and in week 17, when everything was lost, he was indeed on ir.
akers and him are gonna split carries.

and stil -l people are bitchin about not getting any ol-guys.
they picked up 5 guys in three years, via draft and trade. and beside allen, they all looked promising.
edwards is a G only but evans seems to adapt and be very coachable and to grow even into an NFL OT.
noteboom in his rookie year at OT. during pre season and regular season (week 17)

brian allen's odds are down. losing the job to blythe was a huge tell.
it looks like mcvay thinks he is the biggest problem.
let's hope they will never try noteboom at OG again.

and i think it's interesting how quickly people forget. havenstein had two great seasons under kromer/mcvay.
and now he is already history?
havensteins second season he looked like ****. at the end of that season he admited that he played injured.
i bet the same thing happened this year. and after the steelers game he was basicly done for the season.

but i still don't get that fuller pick. wtf?!

Depending on how much you rate college production and what it means, Henderson put up insane numbers week-in, week-out. Akers didn't.

Akers played behind a terrible oline and produced positive results, but Henderson has shown explosive ability. I think it's good competition. Akers much more practiced in the hard yards may make him the preferred back, but we will see a much more balanced running game. I think the blueprint was Gurley/Anderson. We just need to hope the run blocking scheme by the OL improves ten-fold otherwise it will look similar to last season, if not worse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

I'm disappointed with the fact that we drafted Darrell Henderson last year, because it seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick. We barely used him as a rookie and now just drafted a better RB in the 2nd round. 

I didn't know anything about Cam Akers when we drafted him, so I was disappointed we didn't take JK Dobbins. BUT after learning about Akers, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in our offense. He could definitely be our lead back and has potential to be a stud in the NFL. Top overall RB recruit coming out of high school, looks like a good prospect in his highlight videos (FWIW), and the rap seems to be that he was working behind one of the worst O-lines at FSU. 

I think the biggest key for our RBs, and for our team overall, is how much the O-line improves this year. Our season will ride or die on that IMO. The fact that we neglected O-line in the draft though gives me faith/hope that our FO is confident in the guys we have and their upwards trajectory.

I'd wait and see what Henderson does in 2020 before calling it a wasted pick. McVay said he doesn't want to use a bellcow going forward. Henderson has serious potential in this scheme, particularly as a receiving threat out of the backfield. 

9 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

Depending on how much you rate college production and what it means, Henderson put up insane numbers week-in, week-out. Akers didn't.

Akers played behind a terrible oline and produced positive results, but Henderson has shown explosive ability. I think it's good competition. Akers much more practiced in the hard yards may make him the preferred back, but we will see a much more balanced running game. I think the blueprint was Gurley/Anderson. We just need to hope the run blocking scheme by the OL improves ten-fold otherwise it will look similar to last season, if not worse. 

I think they're a good pairing on paper. Akers is better between the tackle, while Henderson is a better weapon in the passing game and better outside the tackles. But the nice thing is that both guys can do it all. Akers has the skill-set to be a very effective outside-zone runners. He's an explosive one-cut runner with the compact build, contact balance, and lower-body strength to earn tough yardage. Henderson is also an explosive one-cut runner with the speed to always be a threat to house it and the open-field creativity to drive defenses crazy in space. They're good complements. We'll see if Henderson has gotten past the issues that kept him off the field as a rookie. And Akers needs to get over his fumbling problems.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

I like the udfa pick up of Levonta Taylor out of Florida State. I mocked him in one of my mocks. You never know, could be a gem for us.

His early tape from FSU is really, really good. But injuries got to him later in his career. If we get the early career version, he's a great slot CB.

• Like 2

I don't really care much for the Brycen Hopkins pick. But any offensive weapon like that, I guess we just have to trust that McVay knows what he's doing until he proves otherwise. I keep getting a Joe Klopfenstein vibe when I watch Hopkins. Same type of athlete, Hopkins might be a little more athletic, Klop a little bigger. Both seem soft and neither could block. Hopefully Hopkins develops into something and isn't out of the league in 4 years like Klop was. 

And I don't think the Kicker we drafted makes the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don't really care much for the Brycen Hopkins pick. But any offensive weapon like that, I guess we just have to trust that McVay knows what he's doing until he proves otherwise. I keep getting a Joe Klopfenstein vibe when I watch Hopkins. Same type of athlete, Hopkins might be a little more athletic, Klop a little bigger. Both seem soft and neither could block. Hopefully Hopkins develops into something and isn't out of the league in 4 years like Klop was. 

And I don't think the Kicker we drafted makes the team. 

Bill Devaney passed on Djax for Donnie Avery lol. Which was weird because Donnie was a baller his first 2 years. Idk what happened. 

22 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Bill Devaney passed on Djax for Donnie Avery lol. Which was weird because Donnie was a baller his first 2 years. Idk what happened. 

I always felt like Avery was a lot better than most Rams fans made him out to be. If he was in a better offense he probably would of posted a lot better numbers. Him tearing his ACL in 2010 pretty much ended things for him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I always felt like Avery was a lot better than most Rams fans made him out to be. If he was in a better offense he probably would of posted a lot better numbers. Him tearing his ACL in 2010 pretty much ended things for him. 

I use to love him. He was so dynamic and a playmaker. Still no Djax though. It broke my heart! But Donnie was lethal on those turn aprons hand offs. Oooof he was so fast, think he legit had 4.2 speed on the field when healthy.!

20 hours ago, Flounch said:

Yes he fits the scheme so well and all of you are so happy to have him, that no one in this poll has voted for him...9_9

bqpDY39.png

These guys will remain optimistic vs realistic about any draft pick we make. We blew it, IMO..I won't be expecting much from this team for a while... we're regressing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Cam Akers was the only player drafted from FSU this year? Holy ish. The dude had zero talent around him lmao. Wtf? 

Watch some of the tape on youtube. It's kind of amazing he had any production behind that god awful O-line. 

giphy.gif

I mean what are they doing here? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

These guys will remain optimistic vs realistic about any draft pick we make. We blew it, IMO..I won't be expecting much from this team for a while... we're regressing.

What do you want us to do though? Sit and cry? We support the team not the players. The players that are here are loved. It’s how it goes. We wiss and moan for the guys we passed on! But at the end of the day! We have to take in the players. I didn’t like Cam or the Van picks! But here I am super pumped for football.. The only pick I liked was Hopkins and Burgess. 

• Like 1