Your All-Niner Team

757-NINER

I'm sure this may have been done before but I was curious as to who is on everyone's all time, All-Niner team. I never really gave it much thought until a couple of days ago when a co-worker who is a Steelers fan boasted that his all-time Steelers team would be the greatest team ever (which I vehemently disagreed with). Now I wasn't alive to see guys like Joe Perry, Y.A. Tittle and Bob Sinclair play though I do know their history with the team and in the league. But there's no right or wrong with this....just your own personal take on who makes the cut as your All-Time Niner at each position.

Now my only criteria is that they should have played at least 5 seasons with the Niners. 

And you get one alternate player for both offense and defense...any position you choose.

For defense, I went with a 3-4 because I'm a 3-4 guy and we won the majority of our SBs with that defense but if you want to go with a 4-3, so be it. Now with all that being said...

QB - Joe Montana

FB - Tom Rathman

HB - Frank Gore

TE - Brent Jones

WR1 - Jerry Rice

WR2 - Terrell Owens

RT - Steve Wallace

RG - Jesse Sapolu

- Randy Cross

LG - Guy McIntyre

LT - Joe Staley

Alternate - John Taylor

NT - Michael Carter

LDE - Bryant Young

RDE - Justin Smith

LOLB - Dave Wilcox

ILB - Navarro Bowman

ILB - Patrick Willis

ROLB - Charles Haley

SS - Tim McDonald

FS - Ronnie Lott

CB - Jimmy Johnson

CB - Eric Wright

Alternate - Merton Hanks

- Mike Cofer

- Andy Lee

Some notes....

Really debated between Wilcox and Julian Peterson but in the end I had to give the nudge to the HOFer. Bowman beat out Ken Norton, Jr. ever so slightly also. 

• Like 2

QB - Steve Young

FB - Tom Rathman

HB - Frank Gore

TE - Brent Jones

WR1 - Jerry Rice

WR2 - Terrell Owens

RT - Steve Wallace

RG - Jesse Sapolu

- Randy Cross

LG - Guy McIntyre

LT - Joe Staley

Alternate - Garrison Hearst

NT - Michael Carter

LDE - Bryant Young

RDE - Justin Smith

LOLB - Dave Wilcox

ILB - Ken Norton, Jr

ILB - Patrick Willis

ROLB - Charles Haley

SS - Tim McDonald

FS - Merton Hanks

CB - Ronnie Lott

CB - Eric Wright

Alternate - Dana Stubblefield

- Mike Cofer- There really arent that many options with the 5 years thing for this position

- Andy Lee

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

QB - Steve Young

FB - Tom Rathman

HB - Frank Gore

TE - Brent Jones

WR1 - Jerry Rice

WR2 - Terrell Owens

RT - Steve Wallace

RG - Jesse Sapolu

- Randy Cross

LG - Guy McIntyre

LT - Joe Staley

Alternate - Garrison Hearst

NT - Michael Carter

LDE - Bryant Young

RDE - Justin Smith

LOLB - Dave Wilcox

ILB - Ken Norton, Jr

ILB - Patrick Willis

ROLB - Charles Haley

SS - Tim McDonald

FS - Merton Hanks

CB - Ronnie Lott

CB - Eric Wright

Alternate - Dana Stubblefield

- Mike Cofer- There really arent that many options with the 5 years thing for this position

- Andy Lee

You took Young over Montana....interesting.

59 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

You took Young over Montana....interesting.

Sure for several reasons...

1) My favorite niner so far, and honestly I don't think that will ever change at this point. I'm too old to get so emotionally attached to players. Steve came along when I was a kid and Joe's prime was just a touch before I really got into football.

2) If both Joe and Steve were to be drafted in next weeks draft (meaning their pro careers hadn't happened) 100% of the GMs for nfl teams would select Steve before Joe. Not to say Joe wasn't athletic, he was but Steve would be considered a franchise QB even in todays league. 

3) Steve is always slighted in these lists

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

Sure for several reasons...

1) My favorite niner so far, and honestly I don't think that will ever change at this point. I'm too old to get so emotionally attached to players. Steve came along when I was a kid and Joe's prime was just a touch before I really got into football.

2) If both Joe and Steve were to be drafted in next weeks draft (meaning their pro careers hadn't happened) 100% of the GMs for nfl teams would select Steve before Joe. Not to say Joe wasn't athletic, he was but Steve would be considered a franchise QB even in todays league. 

3) Steve is always slighted in these lists

All great points. Can't go wrong with either. Joe Cool is the one of the reasons I became a Niner fan. He's the GOAT imo. Always will be. I give Brady his props. I just think Montana is better. Young definitely had the better physical tools. And his running ability is still underrated to this day. But Joe was the better QB...not necessarily the better talent imo.

I'm going Stubblefield next to Young but I get the Carter choice.

One thing that is amazing is for our storied our franchise has been, not really many memorable corners. I mean Deion was obviously Deion, but that was only for one year. Sherman was great last season but again he's a guy who started elsewhere and will be playing here during his latter part of his career. You had good seasons from Davis, Rogers etc but nothing that stands out too much. Lott probably deserves to be one of the corners since what he did in his first four-five seasons at corner has been largely unmatched ever since. 

58 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

All great points. Can't go wrong with either. Joe Cool is the one of the reasons I became a Niner fan. He's the GOAT imo. Always will be. I give Brady his props. I just think Montana is better. Young definitely had the better physical tools. And his running ability is still underrated to this day. But Joe was the better QB...not necessarily the better talent imo.

I think who was better is up for debate. Both were absurdly efficient for their time, but Montana only put up modern NFL type efficiency stats in the mid to late 80s (Jerry Rice will do that). Young was pretty much always that efficient (as a starter - in spot duty that was pre 1989, he was far more erratic). Montana regularly had one of the best defenses in the NFL. Young - not so much. I think that’s the main difference in people’s memory. Montana was given chances by defenses to correct mistakes. Young got punished. Just look at Patty Mahomes this year or even The Catch. You don’t get to win with that many turnovers unless your defense gets you the ball back a couple of times at the end of the game. I do think that Montana’s Super Bowl XXIV game was the best game I’ve ever seen. That Bronco defense was excellent all season. They wanted to play very aggressively, breaking down early on underneath routes to disrupt the offense. And Montana went to all of those deep posts that are alerts in the playbook and scissors concepts and hit like 5 deep posts in perfect timing and in perfect stride. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm going Stubblefield next to Young but I get the Carter choice.

One thing that is amazing is for our storied our franchise has been, not really many memorable corners. I mean Deion was obviously Deion, but that was only for one year. Sherman was great last season but again he's a guy who started elsewhere and will be playing here during his latter part of his career. You had good seasons from Davis, Rogers etc but nothing that stands out too much. Lott probably deserves to be one of the corners since what he did in his first four-five seasons at corner has been largely unmatched ever since. 

Well Jimmy Johnson is a guy not too many Niner fans know about but he was a elite athlete for his time and a HOFer. 

But yea....we never really hit on that position I guess. Eric Wright is one of my favorite Niners of all time. Maybe not a HOFer but I thought he had a very good career and was overlooked because he never played on a truly elite defense. 

And Carter was a underatted defender for his day. Made several All-Pro teams and was the anchor to some of our best defenses. I get the Stubbfield love but Carter was a wall as far as NTs go. 

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well Jimmy Johnson is a guy not too many Niner fans know about but he was a elite athlete for his time and a HOFer. 

But yea....we never really hit on that position I guess. Eric Wright is one of my favorite Niners of all time. Maybe not a HOFer but I thought he had a very good career and was overlooked because he never played on a truly elite defense. 

And Carter was a underatted defender for his day. Made several All-Pro teams and was the anchor to some of our best defenses. I get the Stubbfield love but Carter was a wall as far as NTs go. 

Carter definitely deserves his props, but Stubblefield was also insanely good and won DPOY. I understand the choice as I mentioned earlier.

But look at the names you listed and tell me when those players were drafted. Have not good a great corner drafted from the 90s on. And during that period we have had SEVERAL elite defenses. Have had better luck with free agents than actually drafting corners. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But look at the names you listed and tell me when those players were drafted. Have not good a great corner drafted from the 90s on. And during that period we have had SEVERAL elite defenses. Have had better luck with free agents than actually drafting corners. 

Very true. Don't really know why we never really found that truly elite talent@CB. But I think alot of teams with storied histories are guilty also. Just not that many truly elite, HOF CBs really. Deion, Darrell Green, Revis, Rod Woodson, Aneas Williams, Mel Blount, Champ Bailey...its not alot of them compared to other positions.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Very true. Don't really know why we never really found that truly elite talent@CB. But I think alot of teams with storied histories are guilty also. Just not that many truly elite, HOF CBs really. Deion, Darrell Green, Revis, Rod Woodson, Aneas Williams, Mel Blount, Champ Bailey...its not alot of them compared to other positions.

But plenty of corners who were in the top 5-10 range for a good period and we haven't come close to drafting one of that caliber. Only corners from 90s on to make the Pro Bowl for this team have been all free agents minus Eric Davis in 95 I believe. 

Heck, we hardly even draft corners early in the draft now that I think about it. Really off the top of my head I couldn't tell you the last first round corner we drafted. Mike Rumph? Seriously can't recall another first round corner we have drafted and this was like what, 16 or 17 years ago? Crazy.