NFL Schedule Idea

KingOfNewYork

I think the league should have a contingency plan in place should the season have to be shortened and should build the schedule as such. 

1st 4 weeks- Non conference games(AFC/NFC) just in case the first month is missed then those games have almost no impact on tie breaker scenarios for the playoffs. 

Next 3 weeks- Divisional games- get them in early to make sure they’re done, this is mid to late October so games should be starting at this point. 

Last 3 weeks- All divisional games. I was gonna say last 6 weeks be divisional games but this allows them to spread out some. At least guarantees the playoff race towards of the season be interesting. 

I also think a universal bye should be in place just for this season should we see a shortened season. Use that week to test/clean/maintenance everything, everywhere. 

Thoughts?

Edited by KingOfTheDot
  • Like 3

Universal bye is a horrible idea. You think the whole league needs a week off to clean facilities?? Those places get cleaned on a daily basis during the season 

Would be a completely unnecessary weekend without football for a pointless reason 

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

Universal bye is a horrible idea. You think the whole league needs a week off to clean facilities?? Those places get cleaned on a daily basis during the season 

Would be a completely unnecessary weekend without football for a pointless reason 

Yeah, I agree.

KOTD, your idea sounds pretty safe though so I'm for it.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Horrible? No. 

It also keeps everyone playing the same amount games all at once should something happen or come up. 

Youre more focused on losing football for a single weekend 

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

So for those who have really kept up with all the covid 19 news. What are the chances we dont have an NFL season start on Sept? 10%, 20%, 60%?

With 2 players coming out as having positive tests its looking very bleak right now. No way they start the season without proper offseason training and there's no way right now for teams to get together. I can see a shortened season starting in October the earliest. Super Bowl pushed back maybe a week or 2 as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

So for those who have really kept up with all the covid 19 news. What are the chances we dont have an NFL season start on Sept? 10%, 20%, 60%?

Considering the mayor of LA has stated there won’t be any concerts or sporting events in LA until a vaccine is discovered. The only chance is an agreement to play in empty stadiums in order to start on time. That in and of itself also depends on no second wave of infection when summer winds down into fall 

• Like 1

Once the season starts, I'm not sure why you'd have measures for later in the season. Once they make the decision to start the season, then it probably means everything is in the all-clear. 

If the season is shortened, then fair enough - but I think once they start it, it would take a new outbreak to stop it - which is entirely possible, the season gets canned.

Edited by Hunter2_1

40 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Once the season starts, I'm not sure why you'd have measures for later in the season. Once they make the decision to start the season, then it probably means everything is in the all-clear. 

If the season is shortened, then fair enough - but I think once they start it, it would take a new outbreak to stop it - which is entirely possible, the season gets canned.

What late season measures?

Step 1: Buy an island

Step 2: Build a stadium

Step 3: Build a HUGE house where all 32 teams can live (maybe like a huge neighborhood).

Step D: Cameras. EVERYWHERE.

Step 5: Feed Bill O'Brien to the sharks.

Play one game a day, with cameras everywhere to follow players/coaches when they're not playing/coaching. At the end of the season, instead of playing the Pro Bowl, we throw Bill O'Brien into shark infested waters.

I call it football island...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Step 1: Buy an island

Step 2: Build a stadium

Step 3: Build a HUGE house where all 32 teams can live (maybe like a huge neighborhood).

Step D: Cameras. EVERYWHERE.

Step 5: Feed Bill O'Brien to the sharks tigers. *laughs in Carole Baskin* 

Play one game a day, with cameras everywhere to follow players/coaches when they're not playing/coaching. At the end of the season, instead of playing the Pro Bowl, we throw Bill O'Brien into shark infested waters.

I call it football island...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I think every state will have peaked by or around mid-June.  I could be wrong on this, and really, nobody knows for sure.  But from everything I have been reading and estimates, that seems like a good guess.  Even states that reacted late (Florida is the most obvious example, but they aren't the only one as some states don't even have stay-at-home orders yet) should have the curve somewhat flattened around then.  But it needs to happen with every state, or at least the ones with an NFL team or close to one.  It won't matter if 15 or whatever states are doing better, if the others aren't.

Assuming that is what happens, then I'm 85% confident the season will start in September.  2 players having COVID doesn't matter right now.  Unless players are hanging out in mass, then there is no reason to expect to see widespread cases of corona among NFL players in the weeks to come.  NBA players had high exposure to it with the Gobert situation, and relatively few ended up getting it.  NFL is also allowing teams to meet virtually soon, which is more than what teams could do during the 2011 lockout.  Which shows there is precedent for the NFL having a late start in the offseason (that year also included no free agency until June or July) and still getting the season started on time.  

I'd give it about a 1% chance, maybe less, of having an NFL season with fans in the stadium though, otherwise you are asking for another flare-up around October.  And I think that might be the NFL's biggest concern - not so much if they will be able to get the season started in time, but what happens if it blows up again mid-season?  Everyone involved is going to need to make sure they are doing their job, from the players continuing to social distance off the field and states still having some restrictions in place. 

Also in a way I think the leagues are seeing how the WWE is doing.  They have avoided a wrestler getting it so far, although one of their employees got it (they haven't announced who).  If somehow they can make it through May and June without any serious flare-up, it will say a lot to them.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I think every state will have peaked by or around mid-June.  I could be wrong on this, and really, nobody knows for sure.  But from everything I have been reading and estimates, that seems like a good guess.  Even states that reacted late (Florida is the most obvious example, but they aren't the only one as some states don't even have stay-at-home orders yet) should have the curve somewhat flattened around then.  But it needs to happen with every state, or at least the ones with an NFL team or close to one.  It won't matter if 15 or whatever states are doing better, if the others aren't.

Assuming that is what happens, then I'm 85% confident the season will start in September.  2 players having COVID doesn't matter right now.  Unless players are hanging out in mass, then there is no reason to expect to see widespread cases of corona among NFL players in the weeks to come.  NBA players had high exposure to it with the Gobert situation, and relatively few ended up getting it.  NFL is also allowing teams to meet virtually soon, which is more than what teams could do during the 2011 lockout.  Which shows there is precedent for the NFL having a late start in the offseason (that year also included no free agency until June or July) and still getting the season started on time.  

I'd give it about a 1% chance, maybe less, of having an NFL season with fans in the stadium though, otherwise you are asking for another flare-up around October.  And I think that might be the NFL's biggest concern - not so much if they will be able to get the season started in time, but what happens if it blows up again mid-season?  Everyone involved is going to need to make sure they are doing their job, from the players continuing to social distance off the field and states still having some restrictions in place. 

Also in a way I think the leagues are seeing how the WWE is doing.  They have avoided a wrestler getting it so far, although one of their employees got it (they haven't announced who).  If somehow they can make it through May and June without any serious flare-up, it will say a lot to them.

Agreed. I'm struggling to see that it's not a green light for September. But obviously just a guess, not a medical expert.

I know what WILL make that more realistic though - everyone STAYS inside where they can >:( Want football? Stay in some more.

Edited by Hunter2_1