NFL Schedule Idea

KingOfNewYork

17 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You said last 3 weeks?

Yeah just to bring some excitement towards the playoff races. If its all divisional games each week then its almost like a pre-playoffs.

Its not part of the contingency towards games being cancelled. I should have phrased that last part better. My fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Yeah just to bring some excitement towards the playoff races. If its all divisional games each week then its almost like a pre-playoffs.

Its not part of the contingency towards games being cancelled. I should have phrased that last part better. My fault.

Funny how that exactly what transpired last year for the Eagles yet everyone seem to be in an uproar over the "competion" of them only playing the rest of the NFCE?

I mean We were fine with it, so I'm all for it again just find it ironic.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:55 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

I think the league should have a contingency plan in place should the season have to be shortened and should build the schedule as such. 

Thoughts?

I like the idea overall, especially if they play 16 games (or 13).

I think what ends up happening is they first decide how many games they are going to play.

If they decide to go 12 games, the interconference games get put on ice for this year, with the rotation put on hold so that teams make their appearance at every stadium once every 8 years.  For example, the AFCN plays the NFCE this year.  Just push those matchups to the 2021 schedule

If they opt for ten games, the next ones to go are the two games against conference opponents outside your division.  That's pretty easy.

I can't see them going any lower than that.  If they dropped it to eight games, still play your division twice, and instead of playing a common division in your own conference, go back to the common placing teams from the other division.  If they actually were to do this, I would argue that they should expand the playoffs to 16 teams for this one year only.  The top two teams from each division make the playoff, period.  Since the season was shortened so drastically, I don't think the bye week for the #1 seeds is as important as it would be in a full season.  If they actually only played 8 games, skip the bye week altogether, then have a week off for all teams before the playoffs started.

I also think if they play in empty stadiums, they should centralize division play.  I'm going to use the NBA to explain that concept.  If I were running the NBA, I would put pods of teams (after everyone tested negative) in specific cities and have them not traveling for extended periods.  Put pods of teams in central cities like Houston, Dallas, Denver, and other major cities with multiple venues (not just NBA arenas) where multiple games could be played at the same time and televised.  It would also allow teams to play earlier in the day, then have the games aired at a later time.

In the NFL, there aren't as many stadiums, but the same would apply.  There could be pods of teams in Texas (plenty of pro and college venues to play in), another one in Ohio (Columbus (OSU), Cleveland, Cincy, Indy is close enough, plus large colleges (OSU, Cincy, IU, Purdue, Notre Dame).  I'd deliberately stay away from the big coastal cities where the number of infected patients is much higher, so no LA, NY, Philly, San Fran/Oak, etc.  There are other areas that would work well too.  By having larger numbers of facilities available, multiple games could be played on both Saturdays and Sundays.  They wouldn't need to spread games out any more than that.  Still have a Monday night game or two, but drop Thursday night.  Stadiums could host double headers as well, since no fans are in attendance.  So in this set up, the AFC teams head to Ohio and the NFC teams head to Texas.  With four pro size venues available, each site holds two games, back to back.  You can also have one of the sites play the two MNF games if they chose to, or just the normal one per week.  I assume Saturday games will be in play, as I think the NCAA is more likely to cancel everything altogether if the situation isn't resolved in a fashion that makes college sports possible in the fall.

Hey guys, i want to give you some optimistic update from the situation over here in europe. Professional Soccer (which is the biggest sport over here with, in some countries, attendances like the NFL) will start as soon as mid to late May in Countrys like England, Germany and Austria. Of course without fans in the stadiums, but hey at least we get some sports. Team practises started on Monday in Austria.

As far as implementing restrictions due to the COVID-situation, USA at max about 2 weeks behind Austria, so no big difference if you are looking into plans for September. I don´t know the exact difference right now between Austria and USA but i have ZERO doubt that there will be a regular 16 games NFL seasons.

Since 16 March until 1 May we are only allowed to leave the house for really really important work (nurses for example), for grocery shopping and go for a run or a walk on your own. we were not allowed to see anyone in private, other than the people already in the same household. And we now have to wear masks outside the house. i guess you guys have this 10-person limit which i don´t get, you can meet 9 different guys every day or how does this work?

I have to say, my feeling is that the Austrian government reacted really fast and well (surprisingly tbh), I hope other countries take Austria as example. The curve is now somewhat flattend, we can go to work on 4. May (i had homeoffice for the past weeks), we are allowed to visit in small groups as early as May 1st and even bars are allowed to open until 23:00 at night. We will still have to wear this masks in public for a while but i take it, i´m just glad that i can have some drinks with my friends again.

Anyway, what i want to say is if everyone follows the orders and is reasonable there should be no problem with this curve and we will have football in september!

Stay positive and healthy!

• Like 1

I think the league ends up shortening to 12-14 games and season starts in October. I think if they go with the 14 games then they should just cut out the 2 games that are in the same conference as the team but the ones based on ranking of previous division, for example bills face titans and steelers. Keep the rest of the schedule the 2x division games, the conference divisional games and the opposite conference divisional games. So Bills play AFC East twice, the AFC West, and NFC West. If they shorten to 12 games then they should go with the same conference and cut out the 4 games opposite conference. So Bills play AFC East twice, AFC West, Titans, and Steelers. Think the is the best option if the season is shortened. Then make the entire league have a bye during week 7, 8, 9, or 10 (so 8 teams each week) for 14 game season then I would do 6,7,8, or 9 for 12 game season.

Edited by soflbillsfan

50 minutes ago, AustrianEagle said:

Hey guys, i want to give you some optimistic update from the situation over here in europe. Professional Soccer (which is the biggest sport over here with, in some countries, attendances like the NFL) will start as soon as mid to late May in Countrys like England, Germany and Austria. Of course without fans in the stadiums, but hey at least we get some sports. Team practises started on Monday in Austria.

As far as implementing restrictions due to the COVID-situation, USA at max about 2 weeks behind Austria, so no big difference if you are looking into plans for September. I don´t know the exact difference right now between Austria and USA but i have ZERO doubt that there will be a regular 16 games NFL seasons.

Since 16 March until 1 May we are only allowed to leave the house for really really important work (nurses for example), for grocery shopping and go for a run or a walk on your own. we were not allowed to see anyone in private, other than the people already in the same household. And we now have to wear masks outside the house. i guess you guys have this 10-person limit which i don´t get, you can meet 9 different guys every day or how does this work?

I have to say, my feeling is that the Austrian government reacted really fast and well (surprisingly tbh), I hope other countries take Austria as example. The curve is now somewhat flattend, we can go to work on 4. May (i had homeoffice for the past weeks), we are allowed to visit in small groups as early as May 1st and even bars are allowed to open until 23:00 at night. We will still have to wear this masks in public for a while but i take it, i´m just glad that i can have some drinks with my friends again.

Anyway, what i want to say is if everyone follows the orders and is reasonable there should be no problem with this curve and we will have football in september!

Stay positive and healthy!

Thanks for the update unfortunately this country is way behind and more lackadaisical when it comes to lockdown. Restaurants, bars, that type of stuff had eventually shut down but it took until late February to early march to start that implementation and some areas didnt start until mid to late march for majority of the country, some were shut down earlier. Then they took forever to shut down beaches and non essential businesses. Now Trump has given states the opportunity for governors to reopen the states, some governors have been stricter then others but people are still not following the rules. I can only say for the area I live, but Jacksonville Florida recently opened beaches up to where you can walk it but no chairs coolers and being close to people. With in hours the beaches were packed with people in groups with chairs, saw it live on the news of actual footage. Then you have other cities protesting to open the states up for people to go back to work where they are holding signs and hands not wearing gloves or masks and standing with in 6 feet of each other, again saw this on the news actual footage of people not following the rules. I think that the country for the most part has been good but these things happening are just going to extend the virus that much longer and possibly spread it more, it only takes 1 ill person in a group at the beach or protesting to give it to the hundreds around them. So all that effort we have endured over the last 4-6 weeks could be ruined and the delay of sports could be longer then what it is in Europe.

Side note: I dont want to get political on here for or against trump thats not the point so I hope people dont respond with their views cause I do not care to hear it just wanted to give @AustrianEaglean idea of whats going on in the States

• Like 1