(Polls) The Baker -VS- Lamar -VS- Burrow Thread & the Young QB NFL Landscape

Mind Character

Future QB Landscape  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Barring Career Ending Injury, In 5 Years Time, Who Will Be the Best QB?

• Joe Burrow, QB Bengals --------------------------------------------------------------
    • Justin Herbert, QB - Team TBD -------------------------------------------------------------
    • Justin Fields, QB - Team TBD ----------------------------------------------------------------
    • Sam Darnold, QB Jets -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Tua Tagovailoa, QB - Team TBD ---------------------------------------------------------
    • Josh Allen, QB Buffalo ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Daniel Jones, QB Giants -----------------------------------------------------------------
    • Kyler Murray, QB Cardinals -------------------------------------------------------------
    • Drew Lock, QB Broncos ------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Lamar Jackson, QB Ravens -----------------------------------------------------------
    • Trevor Lawrence, QB - Team TBD ---------------------------------------------------
    • Baker Mayfield, QB Browns ----------------------------------------------------------
    • Dwayne Haskins, QB Washington -----------------------------------------------
    • Jordan Love, QB - Team TBD ------------------------------------------------------
    • Trey Lance, QB - Team TBD -------------------------------------------------------
  2. 2. Barring Career Ending Injury, Who Is the Best QB When It's All Said and Done?

• 1.) Joe Burrow, 2.) Baker Mayfield, 3.) Lamar Jackson
    • 1.) Joe Burrow, 2.) Lamar Jackson, 3.) Baker Mayfield
    • 1.) Baker Mayfied, 2.) Lamar Jackson, 3.) Joe Burrow
    • 1.) Baker Mayfield, 2.) Joe Burrow, 3.) Lamar Jackson
    • 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Baker Mayfield, 3.) Joe Burrow
    • 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Joe Burrow, 3.) Baker Mayfield
  3. 3. Who Will Be More of a Problem for the Browns over the Next 5 Years?

• Lamar Jackson, QB Ravens
    • Joe Burrow, QB Bengals
    • Whoever the Steelers Get in the Next Few Years

So much of what makes a QB great has nothing to do with them.

Team, talent around them, coaching, divisional opponents, etc so much of it is the deciding factor. A lot of people will call Josh Rosen a bust, but they miss out on the fact he was doom to fail and put in some of the worst situations for a QB to be put in for their career.

The Future Landscape of Young NFL QBs is extremely promising and exciting not only due to the meteoric rise of players like Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, and Dak Prescott, but also because of the influx of talented young QB1s in more recent years, as well as the talented QB influx to come in this year's draft and the next.

More importantly, it creates immediate challenges in the AFC North with Lamar Jackson still developing and improving after an MVP season and the all-world leader, competitor, instinctual QB Joe Burrow soon to make residence in Bengals Country.

Who rises to the top in the AFC North in a few years and beyond?

From the 2018 Class to the 2021 Class, who's the best in 5 years? What about when it's all said and done?

Can anyone even challenge Mahomes at the top of the mountain?

Does Baker Mayfield even make the pro-bowl in the next 2 years? What's his career trajectory look like in the near and distant future?

As time progresses, I'm sure some discussion points in this thread along with potentially the Thread title will change, but for now what's going on with the future QB Landscape.

------------------------------------------------------

2021 QB Class

Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson
Trey Lance, QB NDSU
Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

2020 QB Class

Joe Burrow, QB LSU
Justin Herbert, QB Oregon
Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

2019 QB Class

Kyler Murray, QB Oklahoma
Daniel Jones, QB Duke
Dwayne Haskins, QB Ohio State
Drew Lock, QB Missouri

2018 QB Class

Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma
Sam Darnold, QB USC
Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville
Josh Allen, QB Wyoming

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m a firm believer that pocket passers win you rings. Look at Brady and the Mannings.

Mahommes is just an incredible combination of both. 

I don’t think Lamar will win a ring.

The window is also small on those guys.

Cam is the first high use (from a rushing perspective) QB to make it to 30 in a long time.  Eventually these dudes get hit a little too hard or a little too often and they lose a step.  Then they get hit harder and more often and they cycle repeats.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’m a firm believer that pocket passers win you rings. Look at Brady and the Mannings.

Mahommes is just an incredible combination of both. 

I don’t think Lamar will win a ring.

That's why I picked Josh Allen out of the group.  He has all of the tools to be a pocket passer, including a cannon that can cut through the fun weather in Bufalo.  

Yeah, he can certainly pick up a 1st down with his legs when needed, but I think as he progresses, he's going to continue to get more and more comfortable in the pocket, and not need to escape as often anymore.  The threat will be there, but I think he'll be able to stay home, and throw the ball wherever the heck he wants to throw it.

I think that Joe Burrow is the "safest" QB. Nothing he does is "WOW, that's AWESOME" from a tools standpoint. He's got a decent arm, he's got an average frame, and he's a plus athlete. However, his accuracy is legit and his huddle presence is great. His ability to get through progressions and know where he's going presnap is as good that I've seen of a QB coming out in a long time. I'm more of a believer in his "sum of the parts" and that he's going to be solid.

I think that Trevor Lawrence is the "total package" highest ceiling player, but OSU pre-slot QB/push safety getting ejected shows that his recognition isn't there yet and he can still get confused by a good scheme/defense. He did show poise, accuracy, and athleticism in that game though. However, he's not as polished as many of us believed before this season.

Fields, while having a great season, also showed that he did/does rely on his fantastic athleticism too much to be a "polished pocket passer" as of now. I think that his potential is also tremendous.

Baker we will know/have a great idea after this season. If he's got the weapons he has (Chubb, Hunt, Landry, OBJ, Hooper), which are those 5 Pro Bowl skill players, to go with a revamped and quality OL, and he succeeds, great, but if not, no more excuses and we'd be best looking elsewhere after 2021 IMO. I'm not overpaying an average at best QB who has underachieved his #1 overall draft status if he doesn't succeed with those weapons.

We'll see how Lamar progresses going forward. He can't play with 11 other Pro Bowlers forever, and he can't rush it as many times as he did in 2019 and expect to play for very long tbh.

Just wondering why you thought anyone would pick Jackson? I mean if he played for the chargers or Jags I'm sure more people would be voting for him. 

I think Fields has all the tools to be the #1 pick next year or the following depending on how this year goes. He is my pick for the best guy to be an NFL QB that is still playing in college. 

54 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I think Lawrence is overrated 

He's no Cordy Glenn.

41 minutes ago, JDD said:

Just wondering why you thought anyone would pick Jackson? I mean if he played for the chargers or Jags I'm sure more people would be voting for him. 

Meanwhile...

*checks who voted for who*...

41 minutes ago, JDD said:

I think Fields has all the tools to be the #1 pick next year or the following depending on how this year goes. He is my pick for the best guy to be an NFL QB that is still playing in college. 

Yeah, he'll probably go #1. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Tua had rehabbed himself and his draft stock for a year and then entered next draft.

• Like 1

Lamar will be physically done by 28.

If he doesn’t develop as a passer he will also be done by 28.

I think Baker is better than Joe Burrow. What Joe did last year was incredible, but Baker had a legendary college career and put up insane numbers himself.

• Like 1

So much of what makes a QB successful has nothing to do with them.

Team, talent around them, coaching, divisional opponents, etc so much of it is the deciding factor. A lot of people will call Josh Rosen a bust, but they miss out on the fact he was doom to fail and put in some of the worst situations for a QB to be put in for their career.

With that said, barring career-ending injury, I think Kyler Murray is going to be the Best QB in 5 years. Hissize is always going to be a concern for injury, but after actually going back and watching a good amount of his rookie year snaps, he was just special.

In 5 years, I think it looks like:

1. Kyler Murray, QB Cardinals
  2. Lamar Jackson, QB Ravens
  3. Baker Mayfield, QB Browns
  4. Sam Darnold, QB Jets
  5. Joe Burrow, QB Bengals
  6. Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson
  7. Trey Lance, QB NDSU
  8. Daniel Jones, QB Giants
  9. Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama
  10. Drew Lock, QB Broncos
  11. Josh Allen, QB Buffalo
  12. Justin Fields, QB Ohio State
  13. Dwayne Haskins, QB Washington
  14. Jordan Love, QB Utah State
  15. Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

• Like 1

Ok. Now that there’s a poll

you guys are really sleeping on Burrow. He’s going to be a nightmare I’m telling you. Him and Joe Mixon are going to be a problem starting 2021. It’s going to take a year but I’m telling you man he’s better than Baker. It’s going to be tough going against him. 

I think Joe Burrow is going to be a really good quarterback. Despite my long term doubts about Jackson, he is also coming off an MVP season. I’m not going to be a homer by putting our guy ahead of him a 2nd year MVP at the stage. Burrow 100% has the mentality to be great. But he’s a Bengal, which makes me question it to a degree. I would have full belief in him with another franchise. We are in tough division at quarterback right now assuming he is what I think he is. There is potential for three really good quarterbacks including ours. I’m interested to see if Pittsburgh tries to make a move this season, possibly for a guy like Hurts. Thankfully they don’t have a first round pick to make a move for the presumed top tier guy.

• Like 2