BroncosFan2010 First? / Final Mock

BroncosFan2010

Cant remember if I did a mock early in the season, but here goes nothing. I used The Draft Network's simulator which is, IMO, easily the most realistic. Here is what I got:

1.15 Jedrick Willis OL – Alabama

WHY? We run to the podium for this pick. Willis is a freaky natural pass protector technically with excellent run blocking strength. He is below ideal height for an OT, but clearly checks all the other boxes. But, as an OG he is a near Nelson / Scherff level prospect. Gritty, mobile, wins at the POA. We select him and plug / play at RG with the potential to move outside if Bolles and/or James don’t work out. A Top-10 talent that falls as teams go with the other 3 OT and weapons (The 3 WR’s) over him. End of the day, this is a home run pick.

*** Denver trades 2.46 + 3.95 to MIA for 2.56 + 3.70 ***

We see a glut of 2nd tier WR’s still available and make a small move down improve our latest R3 pick. MIA likely moves up for one of the 2nd tier OL IMO

2.56 Michael Pittman Jr WR – USC

WHY? Pittman is picking up steam heading into the draft but I still believe that he is likely to be available late R2 as teams go for the sexier WR’s. Michael is a physical possession WR who can move the chains but has surprising long speed as well (4.52 40). He plays like a man when the ball is in the air and consistently wins jump balls while knowing how to box his man out. His route running is very developed and he runs every route with intent. His blocking is also excellent, he has NFL bloodlines and he is a high character student of the game. Plug and play guy who likely maxes as a WR2, which is fine if you believe Sutton is a WR1, as I do.

3.70 Ashtyn Davis S – California

WHY? Losing Parks hurts more than we have admitted as he played 50-60% of snaps, so a 3rd safety is a huge need. Davis is a track athlete who plays surprisingly physical and fits the half field safety scheme that we use very well. Like Jackson he can line up and defend the slot, so his projected fit could initially be a 3rd safety who moves into Jacksons spot once he ages out.

3.77 Bryce Hall CB – Virginia

WHY? One of my favorite CB’s in this draft, Hall fits this zone scheme like a glove. Enough juice to stay with most WR’s when in man, he excels in zone using elite length and awareness to anticipate and break up plays. Led the NCAA in passes broken up in 2018. Another high character kid who loves the game. He competes with Basuby for CB2 with a future projection as the starter by 2021.

*** Denver trades 3.83 + 2.525 to BAL for 3.106 + 4.129 ***

We see little talent gap b/t 83 and 106 so make a move down to improve a R7 to a R4. BAL has tons of assets to play with and moves up for one of the higher tier 3 WR

3.106 Antonio Gibson ATH – Memphis

WHY? This is my favorite pick of the draft. Gibson is a unrefined talent who scored 14 times on 77 touches at Memphis, and insane figure. He has the build of a RB but seems to be more natural as a pass catcher, and should be able to handle some designated YAC touches as a rookie. Added value as a gimmick RB at times, but I think he explosion and natural ability to catch leads him as a guy that you use on manufactured touches initially with hopes he develops into a true slot / occasional deep threat. Doesn’t high point or attack the ball well, yet, but has all the natural talents to become a weapon teams need to gameplan for.  

4.118 Joe Bachie Jr ILB – Michigan State

WHY? I am not a huge fan, but I understand we have interest in him and he was available at a reasonable spot in this draft. He may have man cover limitations, but can hold his own in a zone and tested well enough to assume that at least somewhat translates. What sets him aside are his instincts, he is a magician in run defense, flowing to the ball before the play even develops at times. IMO he is much more talented than Jewell and takes his rotational spot this season with a good chance he replaces Todd Davis in a season as the other starting ILB next to AJ.

4.129 Hakeem Adeniji OL – Kansas

WHY? Pure value pick to keep building the line. Adeniji is a tested four year outside starter with limited height made up for with length and surprising athleticism. He may be best inside, but drafting him and Willis gives us two guys versatile enough to play OT or OG. As a rookie we label him the swing OT and re-evaluate the development in 2021 to see how to maximize both he and Willis along the OL.

5.178 James Lynch 5T – Baylor

WHY? The 5T talent in this draft drops off something hard but I think we force a pick at some point and with the players left on the board, I went Lynch despite his poor length. He is a try hard guy who put up tremendous stats last season at Baylor. Strong with great hands and an elite motor, he may max out as a rotation piece but you don’t hit on starters with each pick.

6.181 Carter Coughlin EDGE – Minnesota

WHY? Basically the EDGE version of the previous pick, Coughlin is another try hard guy but with surprising athleticism and quickness. He is lacking in strength and will have to improve there, but in the meantime he should contribute on ST and can slide into a backup EDGE role if someone gets hurt. Ideally he develops and can be penciled in heading to the 2021 season as Attachou’s replacement.

7.254 James Proche WR – SMU

WHY? Not the tallest, fastest, biggest or quickest but simply a football player. Proche has amazing hands and while he may be limited to a chain moving slot, if you throw him the ball he is catching it to move that chain. Tons of return man experience and a innate football IQ gives him an outside chance to beat Hamilton for that slot role but either way he is NFL ready depth who can contribute a ton on ST.

QB – Drew Lock / Jeff Driskel

RB – Melvin Gordon / Phillip Lindsay / Royce Freeman

HB – Andrew Beck

TE – Noah Fant / Nick Vannett / Austin Fort

WR1 – Cameron Sutton / Antonio Gibson

WR2 – Michael Pittman Jr / Tim Patrick

WR3 – DaSean Hamilton / James Proche

LT – Garrett Bolles / Hakeem Adeniji

LG – Dalton Risner / Austin Schlottmann

OC – Graham Glasgow / Patrick Morris

RG – Jedrick Willis / Elijah Wilkerson

RT – Ja’Wuan James / Hakeem Adeniji

DE – Shelby Harris / Dre’Mont Jones

NT – Mike Purcell / (Jurrell Casey) / Kyle Peko

DE – Jurrell Casey / DeMarcus Walker / James Lynch

EDGE – Von Miller / Malik Reed / Carter Coughlin

ILB – AJ Alexander / Josey Jewell

ILB – Todd Davis / Joe Bachie Jr

EDGE – Bradley Chubb / Jeremiah Attaochu

CB – AJ Bouye / Davontae Harris / Isaac Yiadom

CB – De’Vante Bausby / Bryce Hall

NB – Bryce Callahan / Duke Dawson

S – Justin Simmons / Ashtyn Davis / Trey Marshall

S – Kareem Jackson / Ashtyn Davis

• Like 2

I hadn’t tried the Draft Network simulator until you called it the most realistic, so so gave it a try. First time through, Tua was available for me at 1.15. Haha

I think there is a chance he falls due to medicals, albeit 15 is a sretch. 

I cant take PFFs mock serious b/c Tua keeps going #4 to NYG. 0% that happens and it throws he rest of the top half of R1 in a spin. 

24 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think there is a chance he falls due to medicals, albeit 15 is a sretch. 

I cant take PFFs mock serious b/c Tua keeps going #4 to NYG. 0% that happens and it throws he rest of the top half of R1 in a spin. 

Really? That is odd. The strangest thing PFF does for me is give Henderson to JAX at 1.9 quite often. And because they’re so low on Becton, he’s always available at our spot, and I don’t think that’s how it’s gonna go down. But maybe? 

I would be thrilled if the draft went this way. I agree with UK, not a huge Ashtyn Davis fan. Not seeing it there, but the rest of the picks are fantastic. I think we should expect safety as an early pick this year, which will likely be surprising to some. Simmons will probably be re-signed, ultimately, but Jackson is a bit of a wild card, and could always play CB in the future. Losing Will Parks means we need to plan for the future.

I personally like Terrell Burgess more, and would be a preferred pick of mine if we go safety in Rounds 1-3.

One thing that sold me on Davis is his ability to play man so well for a S. We seems to look a fluid safeties that can match up against TE and slot in man (Kareem especially), and Ashtyn has the athletic gifts to do so. Hell, he is fluid enough to potentially move into a zone CB role.