Caldwell re-signs

Louis Friend

r149463_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

Caldwell signed multiyear deal.

Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell has signed a multiyear contract extension with the team, a league source said.

The new deal, signed sometime within this past year, silences any questions that existed for those who thought he was in the last year of his contract.

Detroit is moving into its future with Caldwell at the helm for years to come.

The Lions carry a 2-0 record into Sunday's early-season showdown with the Falcons.

Not shocking. He has a winning record and playoffs in 2 of 3 years. 

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, teude said:

So apparently that multi year deal is just for 2018 with options for future seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889837/article/coaches-on-the-hot-seat-vance-joseph-john-fox

I would not miss Caldwell, if Quinn decides to bring someone else. But who would that be?

Obvious connections would be one of New England's coordinators.

Yay or nay on Josh McDaniels? Between the two guys, I would probably go with McDaniels at this point. Prior HC experience does help; he's helped to keep Brady playing at such a high level - would allow us to continue utilizing our best player (Stafford) in the best way; Patriots have been able to make do with a variety of RB's - would help our backfield situation as we don't have a bellcow at the moment.

21 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Yay or nay on Josh McDaniels? Between the two guys, I would probably go with McDaniels at this point. Prior HC experience does help; he's helped to keep Brady playing at such a high level - would allow us to continue utilizing our best player (Stafford) in the best way; Patriots have been able to make do with a variety of RB's - would help our backfield situation as we don't have a bellcow at the moment.

How many coaches from BBs tree have had success as HCs?

At the same time, he did take a Tim Tebow led Broncos team to the playoffs so there’s that.

sorry but this is the sort of decision making that the team is known for. I would prefer for them to actually make a smart and progressive decision for once and not rely on the ‘movie remake/reboot’ mentality.

If you look at his success with the Patriots after coming back, he brings a lot to the table. He's been a HC, failed, came back to NE and kept learning under Bellichick. He's a significantly better candidate now than when he went to Denver. Our GM is connected to the Pats who happen to have a top level HC candidate while we have a coach on the hot seat.

Personally, I actually feel that McDaniels is the Patriots HC in waiting. Unless a premier gig comes up, I figure that Bellichick and Brady will retire around the same time with JM waiting to take things over. He could decide to move on if he feels Brady is going to stick around a little longer and he gets somewhat impatient.

Archived