Playoff Bound Mock

NJC33

The 2020 Playoff Bound New York Jets..

DRAFT:

• Round 1: Mekhi Becton // OT // Louisville 
    • My assumption is that Douglas being a former offensive lineman himself, is infatuated with Becton's raw physical ability. The fact that his good buddy Daniel Jeremiah has Becton as his top OT has some influence here as well. It's hard not to gush over the potential, I honestly don't think I've ever seen someone his size move so fluidly. Also, it's important to remember that Frank Pollack (Last season aside..) has an outstanding reputation around the league so in theory, Becton is in good hands. 
  • Round 2: Brandon Aiyuk // WR // Arizona St. 
    • I'll admit, the chart @dcat posted from PFF gave me some concern over Aiyuk's limited route tree, but I'm still a huge fan. Without knowing much about the ASU program, I'm of the opinion that the chart reflects scheme not ability. Every time I watch Aiyuk I don't see anything on tape that would suggest he can't become a more complete WR. Freak athlete who fits perfectly into what Gase is looking for in terms of YAC ability.
  • Round 3: Matt Hennessy // C // Temple
    • Starts at center sliding McGovern to guard. I think it's clear that Douglas is going to favor scheme fit when selecting guys up front. From everything I've read, Hennessy is a guy with great foot speed, natural athleticism and lateral movement. He's been praised for his work ethic, leadership and football IQ - All of which Douglas will love. His brother (Thomas Hennessy) is also our current long snapper so there's that. 
  • Round 3: Josh Uche // EDGE // Michigan
    •  My favorite mid round EDGE target in a relatively weak class. On tape, Uche has a great first step + bend but he clearly lacks as a technician - Insert Gregg Williams. His production and experience push him to the third round but I think he just needs the right coach to unlock his potential. He doesn't have the prototypical size/length of an EDGE rusher but I actually think that will contribute to his versatility which is another reason I see GW pushing for him on draft day. 
  • Round 4: Lynn Bowden Jr // WR // Kentucky
    • The dude is just flat out fun to watch. He probably serves more of an OW "Offensive Weapon" role in his first year with the hope of developing into a complete WR. His willingness to switch positions at Kentucky demonstrates his competitive fire and mental fortitude. His antics before the bowl game will raise some red flags about his character but at least he doesn't lack competitive juice..This will be the ultimate test for Gase because I think Bowden is going need a coach with ingenuity to maximize his potential and impact.
  • Round 5: Tyler Johnson // WR // Minnesota
    • Just because I'm adamant about not taking a WR in the first, doesn't mean I don't see how desperate we are for talent. I'm honestly shocked that a guy like Johnson could be available in the fifth but it goes to show how incredibly deep this class is. I was between Johnson and Antonio Gandy Golden with this pick but I went with Johnson because of scheme fit. He's a great route runner who I think will project well in the NFL despite having a lesser ceiling than some other guys. The most underrated WR in this class IMO so I'd be thrilled to get him this late.
  • Round 6: Lamar Jackson // CB // Nebraska
    • I don't spend much time watching tape on players projected to go this late but Jackson is a popular name on here so I've done some due diligence. Ultimately, I don't think he's available this late but that's where he's being projected by a lot of mainstream sites. Big physical corner who can play on the outside and isn't afraid to come up and tackle which is necessary to play CB in GW's defense. 
  • Round 6: Jason Huntley // RB // New Mexico State
    • Daniel Jeremiah turned me onto this kid: Change of pace/Receiving back who can compete as a returner right away. 

Other Transactions I'd like to see happen: 

• Brian Winters: 
    • With the addition of Becton + Hennessy he becomes even more expendable. I understand wanting to keep him around because of the uncertainty of off-season programs but I just can't possibly justify paying him $7mm. We allocate that money elsewhere ...
  • Everson Griffen: 
    • I'd love to add either an established CB/EDGE and we have the money to do it.. Logan Ryan comes to mind but he struggles mightily as boundary corner and we obviously have Poole to man the slot. Griffen appears to be in a great place mentally and at 32 would still be arguably the best pass rusher we've had since Abraham. He'd be a huge addition to this defense and serve as a bridge player to Uche or whomever else we draft. Let's say... 1year $13mm

Synopsis: 

As I've said before, I genuinely believe the division is up for grabs. Buffalo will be the favorite (Rightfully so) but they too benefited from an incredibly easy schedule last season and I'd argue things would've shaken up differently had Sam not gotten mono.  Most importantly, Darnold >> Allen - I'm betting on him proving this to be true this season, I'd also bet on Diggs throwing his first fit by week 4. I'll also acknowledge that this draft seems optimistic. With that being said, it's a mock draft so I have the right to be optimistic. No one has any idea how things will play out with this WR class, so while I'd agree that Aiyuk/Bowden/Johnson could go earlier.. I don't think it's crazy to have them slotted where I do. Again, no one knows and there's nothing wrong with a little optimism.. CB becomes our biggest "Need" but I've been a huge Bless fan since his post draft interview and I really think we could have something special there if he stays healthy.

Prediction: 10-6.. Here's to greener pastures ahead .. (All criticism welcome and appreciated) 

ecbca7a3-e419-4376-9676-c25a575ad54f-102119_NYJvsNE_28.JPG?crop=5143,2893,x0,y261&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds2949.jpeg

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I'd prefer Wills but it's hard not to love the potential with Becton. Ultimately I went Becton because my hunch is that's who Douglas wants. 

I agree I think he’s the guy JD is gonna love the most, personally I’m a Wills/Wirfs guy and think they’ll be better pros but I’ve been wrong before

28 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The 2020 Playoff Bound New York Jets..

DRAFT:

• Round 1: Mekhi Becton // OT // Louisville 
    • My assumption is that Douglas being a former offensive lineman himself, is infatuated with Becton's raw physical ability. The fact that his good buddy Daniel Jeremiah has Becton as his top OT has some influence here as well. It's hard not to gush over the potential, I honestly don't think I've ever seen someone his size move so fluidly. Also, it's important to remember that Frank Pollack (Last season aside..) has an outstanding reputation around the league so in theory, Becton is in good hands. 
  • Round 2: Brandon Aiyuk // WR // Arizona St. 
    • I'll admit, the chart @dcat posted from PFF gave me some concern over Aiyuk's limited route tree, but I'm still a huge fan. Without knowing much about the ASU program, I'm of the opinion that the chart reflects scheme not ability. Every time I watch Aiyuk I don't see anything on tape that would suggest he can't become a more complete WR. Freak athlete who fits perfectly into what Gase is looking for in terms of YAC ability.
  • Round 3: Matt Hennessy // C // Temple
    • Starts at center sliding McGovern to guard. I think it's clear that Douglas is going to favor scheme fit when selecting guys up front. From everything I've read, Hennessy is a guy with great foot speed, natural athleticism and lateral movement. He's been praised for his work ethic, leadership and football IQ - All of which Douglas will love. His brother (Thomas Hennessy) is also our current long snapper so there's that. 
  • Round 3: Josh Uche // EDGE // Michigan
    •  My favorite mid round EDGE target in a relatively weak class. On tape, Uche has a great first step + bend but he clearly lacks as a technician - Insert Gregg Williams. His production and experience push him to the third round but I think he just needs the right coach to unlock his potential. He doesn't have the prototypical size/length of an EDGE rusher but I actually think that contributed to his versatility which is another reason I see GW pushing for him on draft day. 
  • Round 4: Lynn Bowden Jr // WR // Kentucky
    • The dude is just flat out fun to watch. He probably serves more of an OW "Offensive Weapon" role in his first year with the hope of developing into a complete WR. His willingness to switch positions at Kentucky demonstrates his competitive fire and mental fortitude. His antics before the bowl game will raise some red flags about his character but at least the kid doesn't lack competitive juice..This will be the ultimate test for Gase because I think Bowden is going need a coach with ingenuity to maximize his potential and impact.
  • Round 5: Tyler Johnson // WR // Minnesota
    • Just because I'm adamant about not taking a WR in the first, doesn't mean I don't see how desperate we are for talent. I'm honestly shocked that a guy like Johnson could be available in the fifth but it goes to show how incredibly deep this class is. I was between Johnson and Antonio Gandy Golden with this pick but I went with Johnson because of scheme fit. He's a great route runner who I think will project well in the NFL despite having a lesser ceiling than some other guys. The most underrated WR in this class IMO so I'd be thrilled to get him this late.
  • Round 6: Lamar Jackson // CB // Nebraska
    • I don't spend much time watching tape on players projected to go this late but Jackson is a popular name on here so I've done some due diligence. Ultimately, I don't he's available this late but that's where he's being projected by a lot of mainstream sites. Big physical kid who can play on the outside and isn't afraid to come up and tackle which is necessary to play CB in GW's defense. 
  • Round 6: Jason Huntley // RB // New Mexico State
    • Daniel Jeremiah turned me onto this kid: Change of pace/Receiving back who can compete as a return right away. 

Other Transactions I'd like to see happen: 

• Brian Winters: 
    • With the addition of Becton + Hennessy he becomes even more expendable. I understand wanting to keep him around because of the uncertainty of off-season programs but I just can't possibly justify him $7mm. We allocate that money elsewhere ...
  • Everson Griffen: 
    • I'd love add either an established CB/EDGE and we have the money to do it.. Logan Ryan comes to mind but he struggles mightily as boundary corner and we obviously have Poole to man the slot. Griffen appears to be in a great place mentally and at 32 would still be arguably the best pass pusher we've had since Abraham. He'd be a huge addition to this defense and serve as a bridge player to Uche or whomever else we draft. Let's say... 1year $13mm

Synopsis: 

As I've said before, I genuinely believe the division is up for grabs. Buffalo will be the favorite (Rightfully so) but they too benefited from an incredibly easy schedule last season and I'd argue things would've shaken up differently had Sam not gotten mono.  Most importantly, Darnold >> Allen - I'm betting on him proving this to be true this season, I'd also bet on Diggs throwing his first fit by week 4. I'll also acknowledge that this draft seems optimistic. With that being said, it's a mock draft so I have the right to be optimistic. No one has any idea how things will play out with WR class, so while I'd agree that Aiyuk/Bowden/Johnson could go earlier.. I don't think it's crazy to have them slotted where I do. Again, no one knows and there's nothing wrong with a little optimism.. CB becomes our biggest "Need" but I've been a huge Bless fan since his post draft interview and I really think we could have something special there if he stays healthy.

Prediction: 9-7.. We capitalize on the additional wildcard spot. Here's to green pastures ahead .. (All criticism welcome and appreciated) 

Well done.  I know folks are down on Becton, but I am a believer.  As you know, I'm more a fan of WR at 11, But Bowden and Johnson excite me as much as Aiyuk or more. If Uche was the best ED at the time, then fine, but we do need to bring one in.  I love Hennessy.  Move McGovern to guard, a position he has said that he prefers.  

Nice work!

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

While I’m not a big Becton fan... I’d be happy with this.

Also regarding Aiyuk... another thing that scares me with him is his limited production as a junior. For starters he didn't play at all as a freshman and sophomore which isn't alarming in itself... but worth noting. Then as a starter as a junior (I know Harry was there as the #1 WR) he didn't do much with only 33 rec. 474 yds and 3 tds. So its 1 year of football that he's getting drafted fairly high from. So there's bust potential.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

While I’m not a big Becton fan... I’d be happy with this.

Also regarding Aiyuk... another thing that scares me with him is his limited production as a junior. For starters he didn't play at all as a freshman and sophomore which isn't alarming in itself... but worth noting. Then as a starter as a junior (I know Harry was there as the #1 WR) he didn't do much with only 33 rec. 474 yds and 3 tds. So its 1 year of football that he's getting drafted fairly high from. So there's bust potential.

That's fair - It's a lot of gimmicky football too.

I just see so many qualities that should translate and make him a great fit in this offense.. Such an explosive athlete who dominates after the catch, Speed/Acceleration combo, strong hands and catches the ball the right way. He needs to own his craft and understand the nuances of route running.. If Gase can get him there though, I think his potential is massive. For the record, Laviska Shenault would've been my other choice here.

• Like 1

Just now, NJC33 said:

That's fair - It's a lot of gimmicky football too.

I just see so many qualities that should translate and make him a great fit in this offense.. Such an explosive athlete who dominates after the catch, Speed/Acceleration combo, strong hands and catches the ball the right way. He needs to own his craft and understand the nuances of route running.. If Gase can get him there though, I think his potential is massive. For the record, Laviska Shenault would've been my other choice here.

I guess I should've said that I do like him. But that only 1 year of production has me a little bit scared about him. Especially since he did start the year before and didn't do all that much. Could just be a late bloomer.