Von Miller Positive for Covid 19

jolly red giant

At his age and level of fitness, odds are great that he’ll be ok. From a human perspective I’m pulling for him, big time. He’s legit one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. 

From a football standpoint, it could definitely impact his performance. There is some evidence that the virus messes your lungs (and even some other internal organs) up for an extended period after recovery. Could effect his endurance for sure. 

Edited by 1234567
Stupid autocorrect

Keep in mind over 80+ percent of ppl who get Covid-19 are either asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic.   The risk of trouble down the road is minuscule...unless you get sick enough to need hospitalization, and worse, ICU (the outcomes if one needs ICU are uniformly worrisome, even for previously healthy pts).   

As long as Von is recovering at home, the likelihood of a complete recovery is really strong.    The news you don't want to hear is that he needs to be hospitalized - and the gamechanger is needing ICU, since that's almost certainly due to significant lung injury, for which there are indeed very real long-term concerns in survivors (and of course, the threat to life itself).   Until then, though, if Von's at home, there's no reason to have anything but optimism.   The issue with Covid-19, is the numbers game - if too many ppl get sick at once, by sheer numbers, you're going to get the unlucky healthy person...and in a system that can't cope, that's bad news for every sick patient.   For the otherwise healthy patient, though, the mild illness with no long-term consequences is still the most likely outcome - and frankly, that's part of the problem on the message for everyone to get with the program and socially distance and stick out the curve-flattening phase for as long as necessary (since it's not the young/healthy who get put at risk, other than the truly unlucky ones).

In Von's case, though, everything we're hearing so far suggests he's falling in the asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic bracket, so as with all those hit with Covid-19, just cross your fingers, and wait for the best news that he gets cleared.   If it's from home, it's pretty clear sailing given how far away we are from TC or the season (whenever it plays out), other than the loss in training / offseason work that every player & team are suffering with.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Keep in mind over 80+ percent of ppl who get Covid-19 are either asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic.   The risk of trouble down the road is minuscule...unless you get sick enough to need hospitalization, and worse, ICU (the outcomes if one needs ICU are uniformly worrisome, even for previously healthy pts).   

As long as Von is recovering at home, the likelihood of a complete recovery is really strong.    The news you don't want to hear is that he needs to be hospitalized - and the gamechanger is needing ICU, since that's almost certainly due to significant lung injury, for which there are indeed very real long-term concerns in survivors (and of course, the threat to life itself).   Until then, though, if Von's at home, there's no reason to have anything but optimism.   The issue with Covid-19, is the numbers game - if too many ppl get sick at once, by sheer numbers, you're going to get the unlucky healthy person...and in a system that can't cope, that's bad news for every sick patient.   For the otherwise healthy patient, though, the mild illness with no long-term consequences is still the most likely outcome - and frankly, that's part of the problem on the message for everyone to get with the program and socially distance and stick out the curve-flattening phase for as long as necessary (since it's not the young/healthy who get put at risk, other than the truly unlucky ones).

In Von's case, though, everything we're hearing so far suggests he's falling in the asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic bracket, so as with all those hit with Covid-19, just cross your fingers, and wait for the best news that he gets cleared.   If it's from home, it's pretty clear sailing given how far away we are from TC or the season (whenever it plays out), other than the loss in training / offseason work that every player & team are suffering with.

Yeah the weird thing with this is how it seems to hit everyone differently.  In my hometown an alcoholic (and by that I mean he spends pretty much every waking moment of his life drinking rum not a person who gets off work everyday and has a 6 pack) who is grossly over weight, uses a cane, pretty much only eats fast food, smokes, and is in his early 60s became sick with the Coronavirus.  The person is the epitome of unhealthy and likely has multiple issues from smoking and drinking the way he does. He waited out his 14 days at his house with minor symptoms and the county department of public health delivered him 4 750s of rum every 2 days and health officials were more concerned with him needing hospitalized for withdrawal than from the virus.

An in shape friend of mine in great health and mid 30s caught the virus and while he didn’t require hospitalization said it was the worst experience of his life.  He had it almost a month ago and told me he still doesn’t feel 100%.  He participated in spartan races and told me that when he was sick getting up to use the bathroom required more will and perseverance than completing a spartan race.  

It’s all crazy. 

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah the weird thing with this is how it seems to hit everyone differently.  In my hometown an alcoholic (and by that I mean he spends pretty much every waking moment of his life drinking rum not a person who gets off work everyday and has a 6 pack) who is grossly over weight, uses a cane, pretty much only eats fast food, smokes, and is in his early 60s became sick with the Coronavirus.  The person is the epitome of unhealthy and likely has multiple issues from smoking and drinking the way he does. He waited out his 14 days at his house with minor symptoms and the county department of public health delivered him 4 750s of rum every 2 days and health officials were more concerned with him needing hospitalized for withdrawal than from the virus.

An in shape friend of mine in great health and mid 30s caught the virus and while he didn’t require hospitalization said it was the worst experience of his life.  He had it almost a month ago and told me he still doesn’t feel 100%.  He participated in spartan races and told me that when he was sick getting up to use the bathroom required more will and perseverance than completing a spartan race.  

It’s all crazy. 

Ironically, they might not be that different in absolute terms of getting sick - the first guy might just be used to getting sick.   The second guy might not be used to being sick at all.   Having said that, there's also variability within the ranges.   Both guys are likely totally fine long-term - the 2nd case, the ability to bounce back is remarkable.  It's only once the lungs get injured to the point that you need ICU or worse, a ventilator, that the recovery becomes more uncertain (let alone the fact that survival now starts to become iffier, even for a healthy person). 

Edited by Broncofan

The key days when infected are day 5 and day 10 after symptoms first show. If your symptoms haven't worsened by day 10 then it is almost always  just a matter of taking it easy until the virus works its way out of your system. If the symptoms worsen by day 5 or on day 10 (or now and again between the two) then you are likely to need hospital care, up to and including being put on a ventilator. If any player ends up on a ventilator you could pretty much kiss your career goodbye because your lungs will potentially be damaged.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Ironically, they might not be that different in absolute terms of getting sick - the first guy might just be used to getting sick.   The second guy might not be used to being sick at all.   Having said that, there's also variability within the ranges.   Both guys are likely totally fine long-term - the 2nd case, the ability to bounce back is remarkable.  It's only once the lungs get injured to the point that you need ICU or worse, a ventilator, that the recovery becomes more uncertain (let alone the fact that survival now starts to become iffier, even for a healthy person). 

Never thought of it on those terms.  Considering the way that guy drinks he probably feels like crap about every single day of his life.

Listening to his interview, I for one won't feel sorry for him, his actions were reckless. Especially being an asthmatic, if anything he should have recognized the dangers, but like many Millenniums, he underestimated the severity and look where it gets him. I do wish him well, but SMH for his own "Superman" mentality

5 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Listening to his interview, I for one won't feel sorry for him, his actions were reckless. Especially being an asthmatic, if anything he should have recognized the dangers, but like many Millenniums, he underestimated the severity and look where it gets him. I do wish him well, but SMH for his own "Superman" mentality

What an absolute punk of a post. Poor guy is sick and you choose to post this nonsense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

What an absolute punk of a post. Poor guy is sick and you choose to post this nonsense. 

Think what you  like, but he brought this upon himself. If you heard his interview you'd know it's the truth. I don't wish this on anyone and hope he gets better, but he increased his chance of getting this by his own ignorance

9 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Think what you  like, but he brought this upon himself. If you heard his interview you'd know it's the truth. I don't wish this on anyone and hope he gets better, but he increased his chance of getting this by his own ignorance

He’s a young guy. Even with asthma there’s a 99%+ chance he will be alright, so get out of here with your silly hot takes.

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

He’s a young guy. Even with asthma there’s a 99%+ chance he will be alright, so get out of here with your silly hot takes.

And his youth showed, I don't need you telling me **** Paul. I have my opinion, that's what this whole website is about. If you want to pity him, no problem. But I feel much the same way as when Talib shot himself in the leg...unfortunate but I thought it was based out of recklessness.