Von Miller Positive for Covid 19

jolly red giant

41 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I guess I missed that interview, but last I had heard he was being smart and safe.  Only going to get pick up food and never leaving his car for the last 4 weeks.

He had the aquarium guys in to clean his tanks, his maids, he invited teammates over to work out in his house (hope Brandon McManus and ??? is safe but he/they are just as stupid) , went out with his brother, his girlfriend along with getting food thing (about the only prescribed observance) ....not really quarantined IMO. I feel bad for him, sure he'll pull through but his action led to to his infection and he should have listened closer. 

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

He had the aquarium guys in to clean his tanks, his maids, he invited teammates over to work out in his house (hope Brandon McManus and ??? is safe but he/they are just as stupid) , went out with his brother, his girlfriend along with getting food thing (about the only prescribed observance) ....not really quarantined IMO. I feel bad for him, sure he'll pull through but his action led to to his infection and he should have listened closer. 

Apparently a plumber as well. Definitely not the most strict adherence to physical distancing that I’ve heard of, but hey, I’m still working every day at my large retail store (my province only has 253 COVID cases for 1.37M people though, so we’re crushin it right now).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Apparently a plumber as well. Definitely not the most strict adherence to physical distancing that I’ve heard of, but hey, I’m still working every day at my large retail store (my province only has 253 COVID cases for 1.37M people though, so we’re crushin it right now).

Hate to dampen you spirits - but I think you need to update your numbers - the US state with the least number of cases is Alaska and that has 314 cases (437 per 1 million population) - next up is Wyoming with 422 (725 per 1 million) - the state with the lowest proportional infection rate is Minnesota with 400 per 1 million. Oh - and given the lack of testing - all of these numbers are a gross underestimate (probably by a factor of 4). Ireland has implemented far stricter social distancing rules than in the USA, has tested at a rate almost double the USA - and we know that there are at least double the numbers indicated by tests that are infected - and Ireland has nearly 50% more positive cases per 1 million population than the USA. Doubling the testing would jump the number of positive tests in the USA to well over 1 million overnight.

Stay safe.

And yes - Von was stupid - having asthma puts him at significantly higher risk - and here is hoping he fully recovers 

Edited by jolly red giant

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Hate to dampen you spirits - but I think you need to update your numbers - the US state with the least number of cases is Alaska and that has 314 cases (437 per 1 million population) - next up is Wyoming with 422 (725 per 1 million) - the state with the lowest proportional infection rate is Minnesota with 400 per 1 million. Oh - and given the lack of testing - all of these numbers are a gross underestimate (probably by a factor of 4). Ireland has implemented far stricter social distancing rules than in the USA, has tested at a rate almost double the USA - and we know that there are at least double the numbers indicated by tests that are infected - and Ireland has nearly 50% more positive cases per 1 million population than the USA. Doubling the testing would jump the number of positive tests in the USA to well over 1 million overnight.

Stay safe.

And yes - Von was stupid - having asthma puts him at significantly higher risk - and here is hoping he fully recovers 

Given what we know about Covid-19 in other countries that test widely without restrictions and a 80+ percent asymptomatic / mildly asymptomatic rate, and the fact that outside of wild hot spots that have had to expand testing, testing is limited to pts sick enough to need hospitalization / confirmed case contacts with high risk exposure, even 4x is likely on the low side.   

The good news in that statement is the ppl missed are likely in very little danger by themselves.   The bad news is that they are also the biggest risk to the system when social distancing isn’t followed.  That’s how Covid-19 keeps spreading and creates such high numbers in hot spots.  And that’s also how eventually it picks off the odd healthy person to get really sick as part of that numbers game.  

Von is likely going to be fine long term both health wise and even as a pro athlete.   But his case illustrates why strict social distancing must be followed to work.   The pool cleaner, his teammates working out with him - all could have exposed him.   And the same applies for his brother and his GF.  

Even if Von “only” had 2-3 contacts outside of his own home (and the home workouts definitely added risk too)  - they multiplied the risk not by the ppl they were in contact with - but the risk of all the ppl those ppl were in contact with.    For all the attention it gets, the odd stranger passing by isn’t likely nearly as risky as prolonged contact > 30 mins - or sharing contact without proper hand hygiene / contact with mucus membranes before hand hygiene (why ball sports like hoops and football are at higher risk). 

Von’s story is a great example of why social distancing has to be applied by everyone to work.  And why each additional contact doesn’t increase the risk by the number of ppl directly brought in - but those extra ppl’s circle of contact.   And while it wasn’t likely the case with Von given the timing, allowing ppl to congregate too soon (like the DEN Post Malone concert Mar. 16) presents far more risk of disastrous hot spot creation.   It underscores that while we all hope for a 2020 season, I’d suspect at best its TV-only (no fans in-stadium).   And that’s only if widespread and regular universal testing is available to every player / team employee / league official and family. 

Until there’s widespread testing available with stringent contact identification afterwards and complete buy in both for contact tracking / testing & isolation of said contacts / cases - the likelihood of a return to the “old normal” is really low until either an effective vaccine comes, or herd immunity is achieved.   It doesn’t affect Von’s outlook short or long term - but it hopefully shows why the cautious approach with ramping back up again is necessary.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Given what we know about Covid-19 in other countries that test widely without restrictions and a 80+ percent asymptomatic / mildly asymptomatic rate, and the fact that outside of wild hot spots that have had to expand testing, testing is limited to pts sick enough to need hospitalization / confirmed case contacts with high risk exposure, even 4x is likely on the low side.   

The good news in that statement is the ppl missed are likely in very little danger by themselves.   The bad news is that they are also the biggest risk to the system when social distancing isn’t followed.  That’s how Covid-19 keeps spreading and creates such high numbers in hot spots.  And that’s also how eventually it picks off the odd healthy person to get really sick as part of that numbers game.  

Von is likely going to be fine long term both health wise and even as a pro athlete.   But his case illustrates why strict social distancing must be followed to work.   The pool cleaner, his teammates working out with him - all could have exposed him.   And the same applies for his brother and his GF.  

Even if Von “only” had 2-3 contacts outside of his own home (and the home workouts definitely added risk too)  - they multiplied the risk not by the ppl they were in contact with - but the risk of all the ppl those ppl were in contact with.    For all the attention it gets, the odd stranger passing by isn’t likely nearly as risky as prolonged contact > 30 mins - or sharing contact without proper hand hygiene / contact with mucus membranes before hand hygiene (why ball sports like hoops and football are at higher risk). 

Von’s story is a great example of why social distancing has to be applied by everyone to work.  And why each additional contact doesn’t increase the risk by the number of ppl directly brought in - but those extra ppl’s circle of contact.   And while it wasn’t likely the case with Von given the timing, allowing ppl to congregate too soon (like the DEN Post Malone concert Mar. 16) presents far more risk of disastrous hot spot creation.   It underscores that while we all hope for a 2020 season, I’d suspect at best its TV-only (no fans in-stadium).   And that’s only if widespread and regular universal testing is available to every player / team employee / league official and family. 

Until there’s widespread testing available with stringent contact identification afterwards and complete buy in both for contact tracking / testing & isolation of said contacts / cases - the likelihood of a return to the “old normal” is really low until either an effective vaccine comes, or herd immunity is achieved.   It doesn’t affect Von’s outlook short or long term - but it hopefully shows why the cautious approach with ramping back up again is necessary.  

This is a really great overview of the situation. Thanks for sharing.  I thinks it’s hard for people to get their heads around the exponential aspect of this; it’s not just the 1 or 2 people you com in contact with, but everyone THEY have been in contact with, and everyone THEY have been in contact with.  Fold a piece of paper 45 times, and you get to the Moon!  In any case, hope everyone is staying safe, and wishing Von a quick recovery. 

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Stay safe.

You missed the “province” part. I’m Canadian, eh. As a whole, we’ve done a better job (gotten luckier?) of containing this thing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

You missed the “province” part. I’m Canadian, eh. As a whole, we’ve done a better job (gotten luckier?) of containing this thing. 

My sincerest apologies - given the fact that I am in Ireland I really should not have jumped to conclusions.

Yes - Canada has done better - Ireland a little less so - but I feel bad/sad/angry for people in the USA (particularly when I see idiots with placards saying 'social distancing = communism')

19 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

My sincerest apologies - given the fact that I am in Ireland I really should not have jumped to conclusions.

Yes - Canada has done better - Ireland a little less so - but I feel bad/sad/angry for people in the USA (particularly when I see idiots with placards saying 'social distancing = communism')

That’s because ever since the 50s the us has done a great job training people that communism is bad (which as a general philosophy I don’t disagree with) the problem is we also have severely cut education to the point that most people couldn’t tell you what communism is. Throw in the death of the functional media (there’s a reason they are corespondents now and not reporters) and you have a society of snowflakes who parrot what they hear on Foxnews or MSNBC. 

the politization of a GD pandemic. What a time to be alive. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

That’s because ever since the 50s the us has done a great job training people that communism is bad (which as a general philosophy I don’t disagree with) the problem is we also have severely cut education to the point that most people couldn’t tell you what communism is. Throw in the death of the functional media (there’s a reason they are corespondents now and not reporters) and you have a society of snowflakes who parrot what they hear on Foxnews or MSNBC. 

the politization of a GD pandemic. What a time to be alive. 

As to your point on education, civics isn't even a required course of study anymore. I'm always amazed at how many Americans have no idea how our government is supposed to work.

• Like 2