Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

The Gnat

So, got to see a pre-release of the movie. 

It's not a great movie, it's too long, wanders and leaves random things open that never closes off, and rushes the love story. That said, it's basically Fifth Element remade, so there is a fair amount of fun in it as well, and it's a pretty enjoyable bad film to watch. I'd probably not see it in theaters unless you can see it cheap though.

The acting wasn't great either. The main guy wasn't super likeable, which I think was probably a production company thing instead of letting Besson making him into Corbin Dallas 2.0, and he wasn't given much to work with as Cara Delavigne and Rhinna are not good actress to play foils to his character development.

6 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

I have a question...are the main characters, the boy and girl...are they supposed to look like the same person. I can't tell them apart outside of their hair.

Nope, that doesn't seem to be intentionally done.

Great atmosphere/visuals but atrocious screenplay. 1.5/4 stars. I'd only recommend it if you're a fan of the graphic novels or are trying to kill some time and want something to pretty to look at. Otherwise see Dunkirk or Baby Driver if you haven't already.

On 7/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Agreed. They appeared to spend the budget on cgi rather than acting talent.

Delevingne said during her appearance on Colbert on Friday that 90% of the movie was done with a blue/green screen

Well, let's say that she's in movies, I'm not sure she's acting yet. My wife and I talked about it a lot. She's kind of Nic Cage where if you cast him playing Nic Cage, you'll get a decent performance, with Delevingne it's the same way. That's one thing that hurts the movie, a lot of the time she's just playing herself, but when you need her to do more than that and create a better connection with Valerian, nope, can't do that.

20 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Well, let's say that she's in movies, I'm not sure she's acting yet. My wife and I talked about it a lot. She's kind of Nic Cage where if you cast him playing Nic Cage, you'll get a decent performance, with Delevingne it's the same way. That's one thing that hurts the movie, a lot of the time she's just playing herself, but when you need her to do more than that and create a better connection with Valerian, nope, can't do that.

I still haven't seen it so I will take your word for that. I have been interested to see what her acting chops were really like.

Archived